When Vets Have More Of A Clue Than Doctors...

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I used to question this years ago when I had my beloved German Shepherd. Looking at dog food I remember asking myself why I should feed my dog vegetables (as in some of the dry foods) because surely my dog is a carnivore? If ever I have a dog again (not likely) I will feed it as close to a carniverous diet as I can get.

I wonder if there are cat/dog dieticians :angelic:

Reactions: dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to question this years ago when I had my beloved German Shepherd. Looking at dog food I remember asking myself why I should feed my dog vegetables (as in some of the dry foods) because surely my dog is a carnivore? If ever I have a dog again (not likely) I will feed it as close to a carniverous diet as I can get.

I certainly hope not!

Reactions: dbr10

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yeah I have most of a diploma in dog nutrition.

I highly recommend raw feeding ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a bugbear of mine.

Cats are obligate carnivores, so why is there an epidemic of cat diabetes in the UK and America?
Well, the ingredients lists on the petfood gives a really good clue:
https://www.whiskas.ca/en/our-products/dry-food/whiskas-indoor-cat-with-chicken
CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, GROUND YELLOW CORN,CORN GLUTEN MEAL, WHEAT, SOYBEAN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVOUR, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITHBHA AND CITRIC ACID), CHICKEN, POWDERED CELLULOSE, BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, SALT,POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN ASUPPLEMENT, ...

Dogs are omnivorous, but that doesn't mean that veg is their optimum diet. They evolved in an environment where they ate meat and other stuff if necessary. Shoving grain and bulking agents into their food isn't optimal.

My two dogs get raw, high protein, no grain, and are thriving in it. Don't ever intend to change to processed foods.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

There will be if there is money in it !
Carol

symmit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Raw food for our German Shepherds. Best thing possible, reduces "output" and keeps the dog healthy. We give them frozen chicken wings as snacks!

To be fair I think they get a better diet than the humans in the household.

mr_cat

Same here , seeing cat food with added veg etc @**!!
I can understand trying to preserve foods for shelf life etc but corn sugars etc , that list of ingredients beggars belief.
Cats are amazingly robust and fragile like us so most will thrive on it, my old boy [screen name is his] lived for 19 years
on similar. I am sure given the choice he would have only eaten ham, blueberry muffins and black olives hehe.
Anyhow gotta watch it as any mention of Cats will get me posting too much drivel.

This is a bugbear of mine.

Cats are obligate carnivores, so why is there an epidemic of cat diabetes in the UK and America?
Well, the ingredients lists on the petfood gives a really good clue:
https://www.whiskas.ca/en/our-products/dry-food/whiskas-indoor-cat-with-chicken
CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, GROUND YELLOW CORN,CORN GLUTEN MEAL, WHEAT, SOYBEAN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVOUR, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITHBHA AND CITRIC ACID), CHICKEN, POWDERED CELLULOSE, BEET PULP, WHEAT FLOUR, RICE, SALT,POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL, VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN ASUPPLEMENT, ...

Dogs are omnivorous, but that doesn't mean that veg is their optimum diet. They evolved in an environment where they ate meat and other stuff if necessary. Shoving grain and bulking agents into their food isn't optimal.

My two dogs get raw, high protein, no grain, and are thriving in it. Don't ever intend to change to processed foods.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's definitely horse dieticians! My horse has an insulin sensitivity disorder and is fed a v low sugar and starch diet....with fat for energy.

D

Deleted member 308541

Our two cats Deefer and Rinso were fed meat I brought home from work, there favourites was diced up bull fillet, and mince.

They used to get tinned food occasionally, Snappy Tom Seafood Platter was top of the list, they did not like tuna though.

2y27zEk.jpg

Reactions: Engineer88

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Couldn’t believe that I have so many allergies and now my puppy dog does too!!

My previous dog had diabetes insipid is n I’m T1...

Sometimes I feel as if I’m the jinx!!

My dog currently being tested for allergies at Newmarket Animal Hospital.

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Wish it was just food but it isn’t... not even pollen either.

Do agree with raw food but my vets don’t encourage it!! Gggggrrrrrr.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn’t believe that I have so many allergies and now my puppy dog does too!!

My previous dog had diabetes insipid is n I’m T1...

Sometimes I feel as if I’m the jinx!!

My dog currently being tested for allergies at Newmarket Animal Hospital.

View attachment 27350
View attachment 27351

Wish it was just food but it isn’t... not even pollen either.

Do agree with raw food but my vets don’t encourage it!! Gggggrrrrrr.

She is GORGEOUS, DD

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
IMG_0139.jpg

Thank you!!

Reactions: Antje77

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
My cats will eat raw food depending on their mood. I usually feed them a grain-free diet.

The other week I bought a good-quality grain-free cat food that happened to have peas in it. I thought the cats would just eat around the peas but I was very impressed with the ginger cat's ability to projectile-spit the peas some distance. :)

Reactions: Engineer88