Treatment Material For Diabetic Eu Citizens

NiccoBit

Dear all,

I am an Italian citizen studying and living in the UK and I have been diagnosed with diabetes type 1 few days ago.
I am not familiar with NHS since I have been lucky enough not to need it, so far. However, from now on, I will have to get insulin, needles, lancets and strips.

I am currently in Italy, but I am coming back to the UK soon, where I have already scheduled an appointment with my GP. In the meantime I am waiting to ask him, I was wondering if someone here knew what kind of medical support EU citizens can have access to. Does NHS provide free material for EU people?
Thank you.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you got a European Health Insurance Card? (Make sure you apply for one before you leave Italy if you don't). This should cover you for NHS treatment including GPs, but I strongly suggest you contact your university to double check this.

UK diabetics can also get free prescriptions (ask for a form from your UK GP). I am not 100% sure whether these are covered by your EHIC card: if not you'll have a small fee to pay every time you get a script filled at the chemist.

Good luck.

ps And welcome to the forums:)

Reactions: ziggy_w and dbr10

NiccoBit

Have you got a European Health Insurance Card? (Make sure you apply for one before you leave Italy if you don't). This should cover you for NHS treatment including GPs, but I strongly suggest you contact your university to double check this.

UK diabetics can also get free prescriptions (ask for a form from your UK GP). I am not 100% sure whether these are covered by your EHIC card: if not you'll have a small fee to pay every time you get a script filled at the chemist.

Good luck.

ps And welcome to the forums:)

Thank you for your swift answer, Ellie.

I do have a EHIC card. Hopefully this will be enough, but I will follow your suggestion and further enquiry about free prescriptions.

Kind regards,
Nicco

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your swift answer, Ellie.

I do have a EHIC card. Hopefully this will be enough, but I will follow your suggestion and further enquiry about free prescriptions.

Kind regards,
Nicco
Good luck.