My Son Has Pre Diabetes.... What Now ?

Thewomanintrouble

Hello,

This post is about my 8 year old son.

My son recently had a blood test, the HBac1 and it should slightly high sugar levels (6.3). The doctor ordered more tests, in particular the flashing blood test.

My son did this and his fasting blood test was (6.1)... I’m assuming that’s pre-diabetes ?

What happens now ? Does he have to take medication ? Should I still keep finger pricking him ? Do I change his diet ?

I don’t understand how my son has pre-diabetes, he isn’t overweight, goes Football and swimming every week, though we do eat a lot of carbohydrates, so this may be the culprit.

My son has severe Eczema and takes a high potent steroid cream, should I discontinue with this ? As I’ve heard steroid creams raises blood sugar levels.

He also takes supplements, just the Cod liver Oil, do I stop taking this ? He also takes Espon salt baths, because of the Eczema (helps soothes his skin) should I stop this ? As I’ve heard it’s not good for diabetes?

Advice please !

D

Deleted Account

What was the reason for the blood test?
Pre-diabetes is usually associated with type 2 diabetes which as you say is unusual for someone in your son's position.
Therefore, it may be that type 1 has been caught early.
However, all we can do is speculate: I recommend discussing your concerns with a doctor once you know what the situation is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask where you are based (country) as diagnostic parameters vary from place to place.

Thewomanintrouble

What was the reason for the blood test?
Pre-diabetes is usually associated with type 2 diabetes which as you say is unusual for someone in your son's position.
Therefore, it may be that type 1 has been caught early.
However, all we can do is speculate: I recommend discussing your concerns with a doctor once you know what the situation is.

We are based in the UK.

We initially had the blood test result because in my son’s recent blood sugar levels (hbac1) it was at 6.3. The doctor spotted this and ordered more tests, in particular the fasting blood test and the glucose one.

His fasting blood test showed it to be (6.1).

A HBac1 between 6.5 and greater is a diagnosis of diabetes. The HBac1 level between (I think !) 6.0-6.4 is pre diabetes

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Has your GP actually given the diagnosis of Pre Diabetes verbally?

D

Deleted Account

We are based in the UK.

We initially had the blood test result because in my son’s recent blood sugar levels (hbac1) it was at 6.3. The doctor spotted this and ordered more tests, in particular the fasting blood test and the glucose one.

His fasting blood test showed it to be (6.1).

A HBac1 between 6.5 and greater is a diagnosis of diabetes. The HBac1 level between (I think !) 6.0-6.4 is pre diabetes
That is interesting as I have not heard of hB1AC tests being taken for anything apart from diabetes so I wondered why this test was taken.
But I am only being curious; I think you need to speak to your doctor as soon as possible to understand about your son's condition.

If you want to understand about the meaning of the results from an analytical perspective, there is some information here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Thewomanintrouble

That is interesting as I have not heard of hB1AC tests being taken for anything apart from diabetes so I wondered why this test was taken.
But I am only being curious; I think you need to speak to your doctor as soon as possible to understand about your son's condition.

If you want to understand about the meaning of the results from an analytical perspective, there is some information here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
Sorry !

I was concerned about my son’s hormonal levels and thought he was developing early puberty, so the doctor ordered hormonal types tests... including the hbac1. He noticed the HBac1 sugar levels and requested more tests to be done.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No, but that was his results. He just mentioned he possibly may have diabetes but his test results are not high enough for diagnosis.

The results are cuspian but for an adult. I do not know if these paramaters apply to a pre pubescent child. I reckon the GP will either want more tests or he will ask you to watch your child and return in a set amount of time i.e. one to three months. My guess would be further tests.

Thewomanintrouble

The results are cuspian but for an adult. I do not know if these paramaters apply to a pre pubescent child. I reckon the GP will either want more tests or he will ask you to watch your child and return in a set amount of time i.e. one to three months. My guess would be further tests.

What does “cuspain” mean ? :).

Do you think it could be diabetes? Pre-diabetes? This is confusing and doesn’t leave us in a good spot.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well a lot of us have found that by cutting out carbs we have improved a number of health issues. Not only diabetes but also asthma and anecdotally eczema.
Depending on how many carbs you are eating it might be worth trying to cut back a bit and see if things get a bit better.
I imagine your doctor will keep monitoring the situation but is unlikely to recommend dietary changes.
I wouldn't consider stopping your son's prescribed meds unless his eczema starts to improve with some diet tweaks. I imagine that treating that should be most important.
Edit to add what kind of way of eating are you currently following?

Reactions: Brunneria

Thewomanintrouble

Well a lot of us have found that by cutting out carbs we have improved a number of health issues. Not only diabetes but also asthma and anecdotally eczema.
Depending on how many carbs you are eating it might be worth trying to cut back a bit and see if things get a bit better.
I imagine your doctor will keep monitoring the situation but is unlikely to recommend dietary changes.
I wouldn't consider stopping your son's prescribed meds unless his eczema starts to improve with some diet tweaks. I imagine that treating that should be most important.
Edit to add what kind of way of eating are you currently following?

Do you think it could be diabetes ?

My son has lots of allergies and is a picky eater. He mainly eats carbohydrates, gluten free bread, cereal, corn, sausages, rice (lots of rice !), spaghetti... etc.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think it could be diabetes ?

My son has lots of allergies and is a picky eater. He mainly eats carbohydrates, gluten free bread, cereal, corn, sausages, rice (lots of rice !), spaghetti... etc.
He has an elevated blood sugar level. That's all we can say for sure at the moment. If he eats a lot of carbs then that won't be helping. If he likes sausages then get the high meat content ones 97% which have less carby filler in them. If he likes other meats and green veg (unlikely I realise) then try him with those instead of starchy foods. I eat in a fairly strict way but I doubt any 8 year old will need to do that to get significant improvements.
I'm interested to know why you get gluten free bread and then mention corn and cereals and pasta.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What does “cuspain” mean ? :).

Do you think it could be diabetes? Pre-diabetes? This is confusing and doesn’t leave us in a good spot.

The parameters for diagnosis of normal, Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes are numbered but if we take 42 as the diagnostic number for Pre Diabetes this is blurred between high normal and very low Pre D. Cuspian means the blurring between one thing and another. If your son was an adult he would be asked to return for a further test in xx amount of weeks to see if that number was higher or lower. This would also depend on symptoms, bg levels and ketone levels (if Type 1 was suspected but this condition comes on rapidly in children and if suspected then further tests would be arranged immeciately).

Thewomanintrouble

He has an elevated blood sugar level. That's all we can say for sure at the moment. If he eats a lot of carbs then that won't be helping. If he likes sausages then get the high meat content ones 97% which have less carby filler in them. If he likes other meats and green veg (unlikely I realise) then try him with those instead of starchy foods. I eat in a fairly strict way but I doubt any 8 year old will need to do that to get significant improvements.
I'm interested to know why you get gluten free bread and then mention corn and cereals and pasta.

Sorry I meant he eats gluten free everything, including gluten free bread, gluten free pasta, gluten free cerea etc.

Sweet corn doesn’t have wheat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't diagnose obviously but I would imagine that for the moment the most important thing for your son is to get the eczema under control.
His sugars may be slightly elevated by the treatment for the eczema in which case if it improves and he gets less medicated then the blood sugar levels should come down a bit. If you can try to cut a few of the carbs from the diet (maybe extra sausages) that is unlikely to do any harm and could be beneficial for both conditions. I would hesitate to say that your son has "pre-diabetes" as he's probably also quite stressed with the eczema and stress also can be a cause of elevated blood sugar levels.
Your doctor should be keeping a close eye on him (and I presume he is) and will probably carry out further testing in future.
For the time being concentrate on the eczema. I wish you much success.

Thewomanintrouble

The parameters for diagnosis of normal, Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes are numbered but if we take 42 as the diagnostic number for Pre Diabetes this is blurred between high normal and very low Pre D. Cuspian means the blurring between one thing and another. If your son was an adult he would be asked to return for a further test in xx amount of weeks to see if that number was higher or lower. This would also depend on symptoms, bg levels and ketone levels (if Type 1 was suspected but this condition comes on rapidly in children and if suspected then further tests would be arranged immeciately).

Thank you ! So in other words, he basically has no diagnosis ?

Thewomanintrouble

I can't diagnose obviously but I would imagine that for the moment the most important thing for your son is to get the eczema under control.
His sugars may be slightly elevated by the treatment for the eczema in which case if it improves and he gets less medicated then the blood sugar levels should come down a bit. If you can try to cut a few of the carbs from the diet (maybe extra sausages) that is unlikely to do any harm and could be beneficial for both conditions. I would hesitate to say that your son has "pre-diabetes" as he's probably also quite stressed with the eczema and stress also can be a cause of elevated blood sugar levels.
Your doctor should be keeping a close eye on him (and I presume he is) and will probably carry out further testing in future.
For the time being concentrate on the eczema. I wish you much success.

Thank you very much Bulk.

It’s funny you said that. Since I’ve seized off the steroid his HBac1 level went down to 6.1. But I’ll cut out the carbohydrates and see if that helps. Do you recommend any sort of books regarding healthy eating ?