Can I Increase Insulin So I Don't Take Tablets As Well?

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...I have recently started using insulin but still take glliclazide and aloqliptin. Is it possible to take more insulin so that I can stop needing the other medication? Just anxious to decrease my pill intake of possible.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Obviously this is something you need to ask your doctor, but it helps to understand why you're taking these drugs.

T2 diabetics have a carbohydrate intolerance or insulin resistance, which means you need increasing quantities of insulin to process your carbs. Your body can't produce enough insulin so your blood sugars go up. The stress on your pancreas caused by an ever increasing insulin demand also means that you eventually start to produce less insulin.

Insulin injections help with the lack of insulin issue, but don't do anything for the insulin resistance. I suspect you'll still need to take some oral meds (the ones that deal with insulin resistance) but may be able to stop the others (the ones that deal with insulin production). I'm not sure what your particular meds do, so can't comment on whether you'll still need them.

I'm T1, so may have got this wrong, hopefully some T2s will post soon and correct and/or add to what I've written.

Good luck with your insulin. :)

ps Some doctors (particularly those in a hurry) are keener to add meds than remove them, so don't hesitate to ask if you still need them and even why you still need them.

pps I like your reincarnation as a sloth idea. :)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi...I have recently started using insulin but still take glliclazide and aloqliptin. Is it possible to take more insulin so that I can stop needing the other medication? Just anxious to decrease my pill intake of possible.
Hi. Which insulin are you on? I am humulin 1 and gliclazide. I asked the same question. The hospital DN said need to stay on both as one is fast acting. Although neither are fast acting so far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Ellit

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a lot of medication. Are you medicating in order to cover a high carb intake? It is better for your health to reduce your carbohydrates so you need less medication. Without knowing more about your circumstances, diet and medication doses, it is impossible to speculate.

S

Sani Thomas

Hi. Which insulin are you on? I am humulin 1 and gliclazide. I asked the same question. The hospital DN said need to stay on both as one is fast acting. Although neither are fast acting so far as I'm aware.
I am also T2 and take Humulin I (slow) and Novorapid (fast). Before I was om metformin, Saxaglipine and gliclazide. Now I am only on Metformin. I believe that it reduces the insulin resistance allowing your body to use the sugars for energy. If I remember correctly, Glipizide increases insulin production. When I was taking it I used to have hypos.

S

Sani Thomas

I think you will need at least Metformin or other similar medication together with the insulin to reduce the insulin resistance.

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry not to get back on here quicker but thankyou everyone for your replies. I have my annual check next week so will get some more info there.
I have no idea if my insulin is fast acting or slow and didn't know i didn't know! I was given 2 pens and shown how to inject and waved off with a ring me in 5 days and tell me what your readings are....so.......
I realise i need more information and am taking my questions with me.
I follow as low a carb diet as i can but know i still need to find out more about carbs...