Treats On Low Carb?

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, spitting, dog poop on the pavement
I've been following the low carb diet and feeling great for about 6 weeks or so.. It was my birthday yesterday so after dinner I had 1 small glass of wine and 4 chocolate truffles that I'd been given as a pressie.

Mind you I was still under 90 carbs for the day - I set myself a target of below 100

This morning my blood sugar was 5.5 ..Do you ever allow yourself the odd treat?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I give myself treats but I have noticed that my palate has changed so much that the treats have become.... well, unpalatable. Sweet treats are just too sweet. Savoury treats are, too me, a danger when it comes to the amounts so I avoid those if I can.

Happy Birthday, lass. Sounds like you had a nice day and your 5.5 is none too shabby either!

Reactions: Ellenw

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you ever allow yourself the odd treat?
I have recently discovered Hartleys 10 cal low carb (c. 0.4g carb per pot) jellies. With double cream they are, to my taste, delicious, definitely not too sweet and eaten chilled refreshing in our current hot weather. The only snag is, I find myself eating one 3-4 times daily, but I tell myself that the novelty will wear off and I'll eat less. Currently on offer (5 for £3) at Tesco, Asda and Waitrose or 6 for £2.50 from Home Bargains.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/283609314

Reactions: Ellenw and porl69

paulloseby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frequently. I do follow the Low Carb idea but just cut down. I suppose I am on about 130-140 but I am gradually losing weight (from about 21 stone); I feel fine and my readings are generally about 5-6 after my main meal.

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I give myself treats but I have noticed that my palate has changed so much that the treats have become.... well, unpalatable. Sweet treats are just too sweet. Savoury treats are, too me, a danger when it comes to the amounts so I avoid those if I can.

Happy Birthday, lass. Sounds like you had a nice day and your 5.5 is none too shabby either!
Thank you..I am chuffed..My sugars seem to have stabilised and my weight is falling off..I feel great..:)

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hubby And I have recently started to follow hclf. I’m type 2 so I’m using it to reduce my big he’s using it to lose weight. I am combining lchf with intermittent fasting and finding it relatively easy to follow. I’m aiming for below 50 g hubby is below 100 g.

Goacher55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t drink, I do like both savoury and sweet but I’ve found lots of low carb treats on Pinterest.

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read somewhere that it takes 3 days for carbohydrate toxicity to build up in the body. While I'm still losing I let myself have a treat every 3 weeks, something yummy and then straight back to lchf. I plan once I've reached my goal to let myself have a treat once a week, because if it's not ongoing then it won't mess with my overall sugars. Well that's the theory anyway . 29lbs down, 59lbs to go....

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My treat is a single piece of 85% chocolate a day, served with a fine cup of freshly brewed coffee, with a good slug of double cream floated on top, and it’s legal! Sometimes, on high days or holidays, I might have two!
The other day I ran out of chocolate and the local shop had run out of 85%, so I decided to have a bar of 70%. It was absolutely horrible, sickly sweet! Funny how your palate changes! Learn to love the things that are low carb, there are loads of delicious things, Avacado filled with prawns and full fat mayo is another treat.

RosieL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As carbs are the thing that make us diabetics ill/cause type 2 in the first place maybe it’s time to start seeing things like a manicure/walk on the beach/trip to the cinema as a treat instead. Food is fuel - try not to forget that!!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you..I am chuffed..My sugars seem to have stabilised and my weight is falling off..I feel great..:)

Well done, the effort is definetley worth it. I have been on low carb for about 3 months now though I tend to have 5 days of lowish carbs around 90 per day and a couple of days where I may have a takeaway, or some bread as carbs. I have lost the weight but these seems to be no improvement in my control. Its still pretty up and down most days. I am adjusting bolus and basal accordingly but find at times I am taking just that bit too much causing me to go low, then having to take something sweet which of course then puts me high GRRRRRRRRRR

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Treats don't have to be high carb or otherwise unhealthy, so yes I can still indulge even on a very low carb diet.

Robbity

Ellenw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Treats don't have to be high carb or otherwise unhealthy, so yes I can still indulge even on a very low carb diet.

Robbity
What sort of low carb treat would you indulge in ..:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What sort of low carb treat would you indulge in ..:)
Home made low carb cakes, muffins, shortcake and cheesecake, (so all good low carb ingredients: nuts. butter, eggs, cheese); small portions of 85% dark chocolate; smal portions of berries and cream, and other low carb fruit in season; Oppo ice cream; cranberry sauce made with a little port at Christmas; my ultimate luxury savoury treats are smoked salmon or fil(l)et steak. And most of them fit my under 50g carbs a day limit. But a lot of my low carb diet consists of regular treats anyway as for the most part I'm eating food I enjoy.

Robbity

mrsAP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much
I allow myself a couple of treats from time to time. My favourite is 90% dark chocolate with a dollop if sugar free peanut butter on top.....I’m pretending it’s a Reece’s peanut cup!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have lost the weight but these seems to be no improvement in my control. Its still pretty up and down most days. I am adjusting bolus and basal accordingly but find at times I am taking just that bit too much causing me to go low, then having to take something sweet which of course then puts me high GRRRRRRRRRR
Have you got your free copy of the E-book https://brightspotsandlandmines.org?
I really like Adam Brown's approach. I find it humorous and helpful. You could also read any of his articles that take your fancy :
https://diatribe.org/diabetes-food-tricks-and-what-i-really-eat

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin