Insulin Straight From The Fridge???

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m new to insulin, only been taking in for two weeks!

Tonight my current pen has jammed, and has not released the air bubble.

Therefore, I’ve started a new pen....can I administer the insulin straight from the fridge????

Thanks all in advance

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, don't worry. You might feel a little bit of sting because it's cold, but nothing worse than that.

Reactions: Libby3781

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and don't worry about air bubbles , they'll just stay in the pen!
If an air shot doesn't squirt insulin, first try a new needle. With a new pen, it might take a couple of air shots before insulin comes out. Once it does, you should be fine to use it.

Reactions: Libby3781

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you

This is the first time I’ve been in this position regarding the insulin. Being so new to it, I’ve need some reassurance xxx

Reactions: kitedoc

SandraRich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, yes it’s fine to inject from the fridge. I’ve not done it often, but it does sting a bit. I hate the bubbles too. I can never get rid of them and they tend to stay there till the pen is finished, doesn’t matter how much I flick it it never Goes!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Flicking won’t get rid of a bubble, because the needle pokes into the reservoir a fair way. So if you can’t get it out with flicking and air shots, it won’t come out at all. But even if it doesn’t, we do subcutaneous injections, so a little bubble won’t hurt at all. It’s only if it’s into the heart or brain that it might possibly cause an issue, an my needles aren’t that long ;)

S

Sani Thomas

Flicking won’t get rid of a bubble, because the needle pokes into the reservoir a fair way. So if you can’t get it out with flicking and air shots, it won’t come out at all. But even if it doesn’t, we do subcutaneous injections, so a little bubble won’t hurt at all. It’s only if it’s into the heart or brain that it might possibly cause an issue, an my needles aren’t that long ;)
Actually, it is only if the air bubble is injected into a blood vessel and much larger volume that will be dangerous. The insulin needles do nowhere near large enough blood vessels. Only concern is about getting the right amount of insulin. Since 1 unit is about 2drops in volume, an air bubble might replace about 0.5-1 units, in other words you may be getting this amount less.
My Humulin I has glass beads that help mixing it. They look like bubbles and it took me some time to realise that there is no air bubble in the pen.
Hope I helped someone.

Reactions: Mjones1

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Try tap the bubbles out before injecting but straight from fridge is fine i had to do on accasion.

techdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Yes but that's going to be a stinger lol, insulin is stored in the fridge but you don't have to keep it there when in use, try buying a little cool pouch especially for your pens when in use.
20210601_200141.jpg
20210601_200156.jpg

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I’m new to insulin, only been taking in for two weeks!

Tonight my current pen has jammed, and has not released the air bubble.

Therefore, I’ve started a new pen....can I administer the insulin straight from the fridge????

Thanks all in advance

Air bubbles are not a big issue you are not injecting into veins the only thing that will happen is you get slightly less insulin. Personally if it won’t come out by tap and air shot I’d still use the pen

You can use from fridge may just sting a little.. I never felt it.. but my ex used to feel it quite bad.

Reactions: Struma