Garlic And Type 2 Diabetes

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean, "does consuming garlic bring down your blood sugars?", I would very much doubt if it had any significant effect whatsoever. Certainly wouldn't rely on it! If you want to bring down your blood sugars, the best thing you can do is consume far less sugar. That means bread, cakes, biscuits, pastry, pasta, potatoes, rice, breakfast cereals, most fruit, fruit juice and anything with sugar in it. That will work.
Sally

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly helpful with making food taste better!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well as fresh Garlic has about 16 gm of carb per 100 gm I don't see it as being particularly good at lowering BG.

Reactions: Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Good for blood pressure. I have seen massive drops when used, but socially you could be an outcast.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr.NK69 I was so intrigued by your question because garlic has a number of beneficial effects, and I also like it, so I had a look around. For me, an equally important question is how to incorporate it into our daily diet.

During my wanderings I read that a 1/2 clove is considered a serving, though some eat 1 - 3 cloves. It needs to be thinly sliced, chopped, minced, or crushed then eaten raw within an hours time to get the full medicinal benefits. (I also read warnings to not slice and swallow with water alone because it stings going down and can cause stomach upset, but to each his own.)

Of all the options described, here's a few low carb friendly ways to incorporate it into your food...

add it thinly sliced to your salad or finely minced in your vinaigrette or salad dressing

add it when making fresh pesto, salsa, or guacamole (or buy it ready made and add fresh garlic)

combine olive oil, garlic (thinly sliced, chopped or minced), and fresh oregano; allow to sit for up to an hour; add diced tomato, stir and enjoy

"Garlic has shown promise in treating a wide range of diseases and medical conditions — from lowering cholesterol and blood pressure to preventing many gastrointestinal cancers — but not all garlic is created equal.

Eating raw garlic is by far the best way to maximize its health benefits, far superior to pills and supplements.

Garlic produces allicin, an organosulfur compound that is created when garlic is crushed, chopped, or minced.

Allicin is extremely unstable and quickly breaks down into other sulfur-containing compounds such as diallyl disulfide.

These compounds react with the human body in various complex ways, appearing to lower blood pressure and reduce arterial fatty plaque build-up.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the chain reaction is quick and that garlic should be consumed within an hour or two of activating the allicin (by crushing or mincing the garlic) to get the full potential health benefits.

Stomach acids can also lower the effect of allicin, so try not to eat raw garlic on an empty stomach; even a glass of water first will help by lowering stomach pH slightly.

Heat can also destroy allicin and its resulting sulfur-containing compounds, so recipes that call for cooking garlic at high heat for long periods of time cancel out most of its healthy boosts.

Romanian Red garlic is a popular Porcelain cultivar known for its high allicin content. Photo courtesy of AdaptiveSeeds.com.

Baking or roasting whole cloves or heads of garlic also won’t produce allicin as the cloves must be crushed, chopped, or minced to mix the parts together that produce allicin.

If you’re turning to garlic solely for its health benefits, your best bet is to eat a garlic high in allicin — which is true of Porcelain garlic varieties such as Romanian Red — and to eat at least one raw clove of garlic per day.

Chop the garlic and let it sit for 15 minutes. Raw garlic can be hot and spicy so proceed with caution when first starting. And keep in mind that eating raw garlic doesn’t just mean straight down the hatch; raw garlic only means that it hasn’t been extensively cooked."

- from https://www.mmmgarlic.com/garlic-health-benefits/eating-raw-garlic-five-easy-ways/ Lots of interesting, tabbed information on this site: types of garlic, growing garlic, cooking with garlic, and garlic health benefits. I'm still reading it... :)

I also found these two blog posts on raw garlic informative and a bit entertaining...

https://www.plantoeat.com/blog/2012/10/ten-ways-to-eat-raw-garlic-every-day/
https://gwens-nest.com/eating-raw-garlic/

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I love garlic and refuse to give it up. Tip for garlic breath should you be prone is to chew a little fresh parsley afterwards. It works for some people. I tried rubbing parsley over my hands after preparing garlic to see if I could get rid of the smell from my fingers, it didn't work.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love garlic and refuse to give it up. Tip for garlic breath should you be prone is to chew a little fresh parsley afterwards. It works for some people. I tried rubbing parsley over my hands after preparing garlic to see if I could get rid of the smell from my fingers, it didn't work.
Rubbing your fingers on stainless steel after preparing garlic works pretty well. Maybe next time chew some finely chopped stainless steel afterwards?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that will depend entirely on how much sugar vampires prefer iwith their blood.
I have this shirt, so the vampires can at least make an informed decision. I'm sorry I can't let them know the exact carb content of my blood in small print on my back, but it varies. At least a diabetic vampire will know he should avoid me, unless it has a hypo of course.
20180708_125706_resized.jpg

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for blood pressure. I have seen massive drops when used, but socially you could be an outcast.
Parsley is apparently good for garlic breath, so maybe worth a try!

Robbity

ETA I'm behind with myself - @Guzzler has already suggested this fix...:oops:

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Talking of vampires, I had a tame home grown one that was very attached to my test kit for a while but it eventually got loose and disappeared ... Maybe I was eating too much garlic? :(:(

test_kit.jpg

Robbity
ETA I've just seen your very informatve post on garlic @Winnie53 - it's a winner! :D

Last edited:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity is that a picture from the internet or is that YOUR test kit? It's a adorable!

Okay, this is way off topic. I don't think I've shared this story here.

I love decorating for Halloween so am a bit fascinated by bats. One late summer evening I had the back door wide open. Unknowingly, a bat flew into the house through my kitchen, took a left turn through my dining room and another left turn into my office where I was working on my computer. It circled the room two or more times. Ducking down, I'm reacting with a mix of panic and awe. It was very dark and beautiful. Glistened even. I slowly got up, walked out of the office. It followed me and flew out the back door. I've had few experiences like that. It was amazing. :)

Oh, just wanted to add. I enjoyed researching garlic so much I went out and bought everything I needed to make fresh pesto, and doubled the garlic. So good. Need to make pesto more often!

Last edited: