1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Garlic And Type 2 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mr.NK69, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Mr.NK69

Mr.NK69 · Member

Great information many thanks I am not a massive garlic fan but have been eating pickled garlic along with pickled olives with my food for quite some time I guess it's been a bit of a waste as fresh/raw is always best

2. Mr.NK69

Mr.NK69 · Member

Great information many thanks i have been eating pickled garlic and olives for a while with my main meal always suspected that fresh was best but thought something better than nothing going in will try to do it raw/fresh

3. Tabbyjoolz

Tabbyjoolz Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I adore garlic. Luckily it seems to have little effect on my BG so I'm still using far more than any recipe indicates. Even luckier is that everyone I know adores garlic too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We eat lots of garlic in many ways some raw some cooked ,I haven't noticed any changes in my BGs though .Favourite is a bulb of garlic cooked on the BBQ until cloves are like toffee .Ok maybe not the healthiest but low carb Toffee
    Carol

• Like Like x 1
  5. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

munch substantial amounts of garlic, raw, baked and in sauces, not sure it has done me any good on BG's... would be lost without in ma food.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · BANNED

Those are my favorite green olives! I also like thinly sliced dill pickles with garlic. Yum!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · BANNED

Thanks for the link @helensaramay. :)

I thought this quote from the article was odd: "Diabetes.co.uk, an online organisation to help people with diabetes type 2, said sufferers should steer clear of garlic." I wonder what they're quoting?

8. rhubarb73

rhubarb73 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My rule of thumb is where a recipe calls for garlic always add one extra clove (even when the number stated is one).
    Love garlic salt on my eggs in the morning.
    No impact on my BG that I can tell.

9. Winnie53

Winnie53 Type 2 · BANNED

Love your rule rhubarb73!

It probably should be restated... To receive the health benefits of garlic, it needs to be sliced, chopped, minced, or crushed, allowed to rest for a few minutes, then eaten raw. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook