Eye Test At The Opticians

Stephenm 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering I had my eyes tested in November before I was diagnosed type 2 and was giving glasses to wear to read and drive. In February I was diagnosed type 2 and my eyes have changed for the better must have been diabetic when I got them tested in November
The thing I was wondering is now that I’m diagnosed type 2 do I qualify for another free eye test because the glasses I got in November are absolutely useless

Reactions: Rachox

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt you are entitled to a free eye test but your optition might be sympathetic under the circumstances.

Reactions: Stephenm 2

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Incidentally, I have had a stable HbA1c for nearly 3 years but recently I have found I can see better at distance with an older (weaker) pair of varifocals.

Stephenm 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Incidentally, I have had a stable HbA1c for nearly 3 years but recently I have found I can see better at distance with an older (weaker) pair of varifocals.

Thanks mr pot they were my 1st pair of glasses I’m just wondering cause I drive for a living and like to keep up with my 2 yearly eye tests

Dark Horse

You can ask your optician. This is the advice from Specsavers:-

How often you can have an NHS-funded eye test
If you qualify, you are entitled to have an NHS-funded eye test every two years.

Your optician may recommend more-frequent eye tests if you are:

• Diabetic
  • Over 40 with a family history of glaucoma
  • Over 70
  • Under 16 and wear glasses
  • Experiencing particular vision problems
If you have concerns about your vision or eye health within two years of your last NHS-funded eye test, please visit your local Specsavers and we can tell you if you qualify for another eye test.

Stephenm 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can ask your optician. This is the advice from Specsavers:-

How often you can have an NHS-funded eye test
If you qualify, you are entitled to have an NHS-funded eye test every two years.

Your optician may recommend more-frequent eye tests if you are:

• Diabetic
  • Over 40 with a family history of glaucoma
  • Over 70
  • Under 16 and wear glasses
  • Experiencing particular vision problems
If you have concerns about your vision or eye health within two years of your last NHS-funded eye test, please visit your local Specsavers and we can tell you if you qualify for another eye test.

Thanks dark horse I’ve emailed specsavers see what they say but being Sunday I’ll probably not here form them till Monday cheers

Reactions: Dark Horse

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It doesn't have to be specsavers, any optician can recommend you have an eye test more frequently than every two year if they consider it necessary, which they presumably would as you drive for a living.

Stephenm 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It doesn't have to be specsavers, any optician can recommend you have an eye test more frequently than every two year if they consider it necessary, which they presumably would as you drive for a living.

Cheers prem51 I’ll phone the opticians on Monday see what they say think you get a free eye test on the nhs if no guess I’ll have to pay better safe than sorry

Reactions: Prem51

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
The opticians I used to use, they advised me to have a eye test every year. The lady sold up so went last year to have my eyes tested at an independent opticians and they say every 2 years. Though they did say, if I was having any problems with my vision then to go back

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers prem51 I’ll phone the opticians on Monday see what they say think you get a free eye test on the nhs if no guess I’ll have to pay better safe than sorry

My OH, who is not diabetic, but has a family history of glaucoma went back to his optician a couple of months after routine test as he was having a few issues. His optician told him his test would be free again, if a problem was found or his prescription had changed. What they actually found was that his prescription (as set at the earlier test) was incorrect, and could not have been correct at the time, so needless to say, his test was free of charge, as was his remedial change to his glasses.

Bearing in mind you likely had undiagnosed diabetes at the time of your last test, as opposed to a prescribing/notation error, your situation is different, but bearing in mind the importance of our vision I'd go back and have a reassessment.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
You'll get a free yearly eye test....your still a diabetic.
Be discreet, tell them your eyes seem to be changing as a result, you think of your diabetes. They are not likely to refuse or charge you.
D.

Just wondering I had my eyes tested in November before I was diagnosed type 2 and was giving glasses to wear to read and drive. In February I was diagnosed type 2 and my eyes have changed for the better must have been diabetic when I got them tested in November
The thing I was wondering is now that I’m diagnosed type 2 do I qualify for another free eye test because the glasses I got in November are absolutely useless

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My experience with Specsavers my be a warning to others.

Advertised on web Free Teats so booked online.
Arrived and advised that this was not to be an NHS funded test but a free one as per online advert.
Ignorant sales assistant then told me it would be via NHS to which I said that I have already told you. If you have a problem with this then I will talk to your manager. Next introduced to optician. Test completed results printed out and 2 new pairs of glasses ordered.
One week later specs arrived in post. wrong frames and prescriptions in lenses were mine because the distance glasses were perfect for reading a book held very close (less than 12 inches). the glasses ordered were distance for driving and medium for watching telly or using computer with remote gigantic screen.
I was offered another test and replacement glasses with the test on the NHS (Light the blue touch paper). Spoke to manager - explained what I was unhappy about - manager apologised and admitted some staff issues etc. gave a full refund then refused to do anything else so I really let rip in the centre of the shop - 2 minutes later on > one other customer there and manager closing the shop and threatening to call the police! Then my son in law in his prison officer uniform came in and asked me if I was ready to go! Manager just said "thank you Sir" and held the doors open.
Do not get stroppy like me - just make sure that you know what will be charged including the frames you choose before you have the eye test. This stops you getting nasty surprises and can stop them using the NHS funding for the test.

Remember you usually only get what you pay for!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Arrived and advised that this was not to be an NHS funded test but a free one as per online advert.
Ignorant sales assistant then told me it would be via NHS to which I said that I have already told you. If you have a problem with this then I will talk to your manager. Next introduced to optician. Test completed results printed out and 2 new pairs of glasses ordered.
One week later specs arrived in post. wrong frames and prescriptions in lenses were mine because the distance glasses were perfect for reading a book held very close (less than 12 inches). the glasses ordered were distance for driving and medium for watching telly or using computer with remote gigantic screen.
I was offered another test and replacement glasses with the test on the NHS (Light the blue touch paper). Spoke to manager - explained what I was unhappy about - manager apologised and admitted some staff issues etc. gave a full refund then refused to do anything else so I really let rip in the centre of the shop - 2 minutes later on > one other customer there and manager closing the shop and threatening to call the police! Then my son in law in his prison officer uniform came in and asked me if I was ready to go! Manager just said "thank you Sir" and held the doors open.
Do not get stroppy like me - just make sure that you know what will be charged including the frames you choose before you have the eye test. This stops you getting nasty surprises and can stop them using the NHS funding for the test.

I have always had excellent service from Specsavers and they never post the glasses as they check them and adjust the fitting when you collect them.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver

I only ever used specs avers once, never again. They kept getting the lenses wrong
An independent optician now always with me

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Specsavers are franchises, so in effect independent businesses, working under a banner and sharing mass buying power.

After my "surprise" outcome frorm my annual retinopathy screening this yeat, I went along to my usual Specsavers to have them have a look too and had a really very thorough going over.

When I explained to my friend's husband what had transpired, he told me they use the same Specsavers, and coincidentally the same optomitrist.

My friend's husband is a Consultant Opthalmologist, and rates the guy, so that's good enough for me, in our town.

Davelow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You shouldn't knock Specsavers. It is simply that you have had a bad experience with this particular shop. Move on to another Optician, preferably with recommendation from others. However, beware, I have used Specsavers for years ( many different shops as I moved around) and have had nothing but the first class handling at all times. One optician thought she detected a possible detached retina - within 30 minutes I was in hospital and having treatment, the correct action. Unfortunately that lady went on to do her Masters degree so I did not see her again.
This has not stopped me using Specsavers - they have continued with many different Opticians and shops with no reduction in their treatment of me.
Remember, when you go to an Optician he is responsible for the whole service package but you have to keep going back to give them a chance to put it right. The most important aspect of all this is YOUR eyesight. If they fail to satisfy report them to your local Health service, just like you would do a Doctor. They will be interested to find out that the money they are paying this Optician to provide a service is being wasted - they will investigate.

Chimpchoker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the NHS guidelines:
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-qu...nts/how-often-can-I-have-a-free-nhs-eye-test/

My optician said I could have free annual eye test as I am diabetic.
The NHS is now tightening up the rules on free eye tests. I was getting my annual check up with the diabetic clinic.. eyes, feet, weight etc and then I would get an opticians check 6 months later. The optician said last time that the NHS has made it 2 yearly now although I can request a yearly opticians apt but if there has been no "significant" change then I would be charged.