1st Of 18 Diabetic Course.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hello All.
Tomorrow the 26th June 18 I am going to the 1st appointment for learning about Diabetes
I’ll let you people know how it goes.
Not looking forward to it as I feel as she wants me to eat more carbs than what I wish too.
I’m keeping to around 50 carbs or day. And I’m testing to check how good react with my BG.
But if I increase my Carbs. I am very confident my BG will go through the roof.
Watch this space.

Reactions: deborabaratto

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I did it. It was the 1st one.
Do a little manic. She weighed all 30 of us. Gave us a pedometer, mine doesn’t work.
Gave us a plastic folder and z pile of booklets which over the course we will fill in.
Next week may be more enlightening.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never been to one , never been invited to one

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You can take my place if you want.
I believe it will be a total waste of time. I would prefer to do two 8 hour days. Spread over 18 weeks puts a downer on it. I’m too busy.

Reactions: dbr10

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It was. A total waste of time and money.
Most of us are older. Spent 40 mins weighing everyone. Which left
20mins Not much information as you may have guessed.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All.
Tomorrow the 26th June 18 I am going to the 1st appointment for learning about Diabetes
I’ll let you people know how it goes.
Not looking forward to it as I feel as she wants me to eat more carbs than what I wish too.
I’m keeping to around 50 carbs or day. And I’m testing to check how good react with my BG.
But if I increase my Carbs. I am very confident my BG will go through the roof.
Watch this space.
It will, of course.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was. A total waste of time and money.
Most of us are older. Spent 40 mins weighing everyone. Which left
20mins Not much information as you may have guessed.
Oh dear.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sorry Guys.
I can’t face this. Think I may cancel
I feel a failure. But when I look at the books she’s given all of us Carbs feature very largely. I don’t believe it will work. So really I’m stumped going.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Guys.
I feel a failure. But when I look at the books she’s given all of us Carbs feature very largely. I don’t believe it will work. So really I’m stumped going.
No need to apologise.. I think most of us wouldn't have wasted our time going to the first one even.. Apart from maybe to wind up the "teacher" .

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry Guys.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well today came and went. I did not attend. I feel bad for not going when Iv been given the opportunity to have a place on the course.
But it goes against everything Iv learnt on the site.
I can’t eat 60 -80 carbs a day. Which apparent is Government guideline. It’s wrong and I do not want to get worse.
I’m thinking about seeing my GP but will he be supportive ?
I don’t like him much ch. His bedside manner is not nice.
I’ll post when I have some info.
Wish me luck.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yikes! I’m impressed you lasted that long. I dutifully went to the one-day one offered when I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Instead of the 4 weeks of 2 hours that was the alternative. Absolutely no disrespect to the others who were there, but I sat there feeling like I’d wandered into the wrong room. I was 37, had no need to lose weight, but was surrounded by much older, much larger people than me. Being told something about the importance of a ‘balanced’ plate of food that looked it contained foods that I already knew were big no-no’s for me. And of course, the biscuits appeared at break time!

As background to sounding pretentious, I had gestational diabetes 12 years ago at the age of 30 in the US. A nutritionist was assigned within days of diagnosis, and spent an hour explaining to me, individually, carb counting and eating to the meter and don’t eat bananas, just like well, you know, this site :) I thank my lucky stars that she did as I would have followed whatever I was told without question then - I’m just glad she got to me first before the NHS prescribed course.

Good luck with your GP. I had the fortune of getting a GP who was supportive of my choice to be very low carb. I doubt he’d ever advocate it, but he’s happy that whatever I am doing is working.

Reactions: dbr10 and Wilber123

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well today came and went. I did not attend. I feel bad for not going when Iv been given the opportunity to have a place on the course.
But it goes against everything Iv learnt on the site.
I can’t eat 60 -80 carbs a day. Which apparent is Government guideline. It’s wrong and I do not want to get worse.
I’m thinking about seeing my GP but will he be supportive ?
I don’t like him much ch. His bedside manner is not nice.
I’ll post when I have some info.
Wish me luck.
I thought gov advice was higher than 80g?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Guys.
Sounds like a reasonable decision to me and not a fail! Out of initerest where are you in the UK? Interested to know what folks are being offered and whre for pre diabetes.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought gov advice was higher than 80g?
I thought it was 140g daily based on the fallacious notion of the brain requiring glucose from injested food or 45% of daily calories...140 g =560 kcals btw so 45% is double that and works out to be 230 kcals worth per meal or about 60g carbs. I believe the average Brit has about 240g daily or 80g for each of 3 meals..

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I thought it was 140g daily based on the fallacious notion of the brain requiring glucose from injested food or 45% of daily calories...140 g =560 kcals btw so 45% is double that and works out to be 230 kcals worth per meal or about 60g carbs. I believe the average Brit has about 240g daily or 80g for each of 3 meals..
Ah, that could be it then - per meal!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry Guys.
It is an epic faillure. But theirs, not yours. Keep doing what's right for you!