Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A twenty three minute presentation on fibre covering bg and gut biome. Controversial? You decide.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's necessary for me, but doesn't seem to be for everyone. Haven't watched the video yet but I know what happens when I go without fibre for a few days. It takes me weeks to recover. :inpain:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
There are more bugs in our bowel than cells in our body.
The critters deserve some food, particularly as the good ones more than truly earn their keep !!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I must point out here that I am still on the fence with this one. I do believe that the gut biome is an intrinsic part of metabolism but it seems to me that only time can lead us to any firm conclusions on how best to interpret the data still coming in.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I must point out here that I am still on the fence with this one. I do believe that the gut biome is an intrinsic part of metabolism but it seems to me that only time can lead us to any firm conclusions on how best to interpret the data still coming in.
The area of faecal transplants, research and results, is one area of interest.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The area of faecal transplants, research and results, is one area of interest.

This is sad but I find the gut biome and the emerging science fascinating. Sigh.... I must need to get out more. :)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
This is sad but I find the gut biome and the emerging science fascinating. Sigh.... I must need to get out more. :)
Um, it is also a matter of looking internally, so to speak !!!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I watched it. What this guy is saying happens when you have no fibre is not my experience at all. I suffered hell and the worse pain ever. There is no way I would do this again. Fibre is a necessity for a healthy diet for me. The doctor is wrong in my case.

He is playing with words too, just classing fibre initially as bread, rice etc. Most of us know that veggies contain fibre and he is trying to educate us to eat good carbs. Yep, didn't need to make the video to tell us that.

What he says about meat products and fibre just does not fit with my own experience. I found it interesting from about 17 mins onwards where he says ketogenic diets increase the bacteria that make us lose weight and this has spurred me on to go lower carb, but that's all I gained from the video really.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A twenty three minute presentation on fibre covering bg and gut biome. Controversial? You decide.

Brilliant presentation and when you think about it completely logical (so I love it even more).
If there are no essential carbs then how can there be essential fibre? Fibre is after all just an undigestible carb.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I watched it. What this guy is saying happens when you have no fibre is not my experience at all. I suffered hell and the worse pain ever. There is no way I would do this again. Fibre is a necessity for a healthy diet for me. The doctor is wrong in my case.

He is playing with words too, just classing fibre initially as bread, rice etc. Most of us know that veggies contain fibre and he is trying to educate us to eat good carbs. Yep, didn't need to make the video to tell us that.

What he says about meat products and fibre just does not fit with my own experience. I found it interesting from about 17 mins onwards where he says ketogenic diets increase the bacteria that make us lose weight and this has spurred me on to go lower carb, but that's all I gained from the video really.

This may be the reason/s I am still on the fence. Gut problems in general arn't something I suffer with if you take away the side effects of a couple of meds I take. I get the impression that our gut biomes are as individual as we ourselves are.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And not "fixed" ... so they can change quickly once properly nourished.

I agree, which begs the question of overuse of antibiotics in the past. And an interesting point made on the artificial sweetener the name of which has already escaped me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, which begs the question of overuse of antibiotics in the past. And an interesting point made on the artificial sweetener the name of which has already escaped me.
Me too but thats why I have given up "sweet" completely apart from double cream of course!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant presentation and when you think about it completely logical (so I love it even more).
If there are no essential carbs then how can there be essential fibre? Fibre is after all just an undigestible carb.
I have been asking my bowel this question. It insists fibre is necessary. I won't argue with it again . The results of just 2 weeks on the Dukan diet were horrendous. The guy talks about 'a little bleeding'. Try toilets filled with blood for a start. Try being in pain for months afterwards, always needing to know where the next loo was. Is that enough detail for this early hour? There's more if you want it? I don't want to put the breakfast eaters amongst us off their meal.

For me fibre is necessary (though I only have veggie fibre, not grain fibre). I can't be the only one either. The doctor is just being a doctor and trying to do the one way fits all scenario. Yawn. No it doesn't.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. The results of just 2 weeks on the Dukan diet were horrendous
But to be fair Dukan isn't fibre free. There used to be the oat bran pancake.. tasted like cardboard. Also of course Dukan was as fat phobic as they come (you just made me skim through the book again) which will totally mess with your digestion. Lean protein in the Attack phase would probably not be at all helpful for smooth gut transit... as fat (as we know) is an essential nutrient.
You just made me look at my "Diet Book" shelf and I saw that years ago I bought "Eat Fat Get Thin" (1999) if only I had read it and taken it on board... but I don't think I ever opened it.. probably put off by conventional wisdom.. what a shame.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
One word
Idiot

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But to be fair Dukan isn't fibre free. There used to be the oat bran pancake.. tasted like cardboard. Also of course Dukan was as fat phobic as they come (you just made me skim through the book again) which will totally mess with your digestion. Lean protein in the Attack phase would probably not be at all helpful for smooth gut transit... as fat (as we know) is an essential nutrient.
You just made me look at my "Diet Book" shelf and I saw that years ago I bought "Eat Fat Get Thin" (1999) if only I had read it and taken it on board... but I don't think I ever opened it.. probably put off by conventional wisdom.. what a shame.
I didn't have the oatbran pancake, I didn't see the point as I don't like them. I don't like meat fat anyway. I can't make myself eat something that makes me vomit. I added butter instead so yes, I did get some fat on the diet as I knew I needed it.

Edit: The weight loss was awesome though and I was prepared to try it again after I had recovered. That's how desperate I was/am to lose weight. Recovery took way too long though so I abandoned the idea.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Controversial? You decide.

I was vaguely aware of some of the points raised, very interesting though. When I cut my carbs to about 40 gms I was warned that I would be missing out on fibre but I never experienced any problems. Obviously the amount of cauliflower, brocolli, courgette, mushroom, tomato, peppers, celery, onion, leeks and the occasional apple more than makes up for that loss of so called essential fibre in things like bread and rice.

edit: just remembered, I couldn't tolerate "not going" for 2 days never mind 6 days without reaching for my favourite remedy, used only occasionally, vit C powder or Berocca (more than the recommended 1 a day).
Another edit: another thought. I know what he means about the affects of sweeteners. I've heard people talk about the effects of sugar free Haribo ***** bears. More effective than anything the GP will give you.

Last edited: