Type 1 Injection Site

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was watching a video about injecting insulin and fir my surprise.. they mentioned not to inject in the shoulders!!!!!!! I inject all my insulin in my shoulders! They stated the reason being that there is less fat there... how true is that?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd think as long as you have enough padding on your shoulders you'd be fine. Never heard of injecting in shoulders before though. Then again I like injecting on the inside of my thigh, which isn't recommended either.
Is there a particular reason you only inject there and not the more common sites?

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd think as long as you have enough padding on your shoulders you'd be fine. Never heard of injecting in shoulders before though. Then again I like injecting on the inside of my thigh, which isn't recommended either.
Is there a particular reason you only inject there and not the more common sites?
Sorry! Only now I get what I wrote :( I thought he meant "back of the arm" but I got confused. Anyway, I only inject in the back of my arms but recently Lantus has been going way harsh on me :( I reduced so far by 9 units and still it crashes me within 2 hours. So I was wondering if maybe I have too little fat to hold the Lantus in my arm? Maybe I should try my thighs because "maybe" it usually contains more fat for Lantus to sit on.
Also you shouldn't inject in inner thighs your risk is higher to hit a vein or a muscle!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also you shouldn't inject in inner thighs your risk is higher to hit a vein or a muscle!
Plenty of padding on the inside of my thigh. Hurt or bled way more often when I used the outsides, so I guess I have funny legs :).
I was wondering if maybe I have too little fat to hold the Lantus in my arm
I switched from Lantus to Tresiba and I like it a lot better.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I have injected in my shoulders. Usually if wearing a jumpsuit type outfit where leg/stomach tricky to reach. Not had any problems.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have injected in my shoulders. Usually if wearing a jumpsuit type outfit where leg/stomach tricky to reach. Not had any problems.
Hmm I think I'm going to stick to the usual sites