1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Arrived here after watching The Truth About Carbs? Join the Low Carb Program for meal plans & 10 weeks of simple steps into your new lifestyle.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Injection Site

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by alphabeta, Jul 13, 2018.

1. alphabeta

alphabeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was watching a video about injecting insulin and fir my surprise.. they mentioned not to inject in the shoulders!!!!!!! I inject all my insulin in my shoulders! They stated the reason being that there is less fat there... how true is that?

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Well-Known Member

I'd think as long as you have enough padding on your shoulders you'd be fine. Never heard of injecting in shoulders before though. Then again I like injecting on the inside of my thigh, which isn't recommended either.
    Is there a particular reason you only inject there and not the more common sites?

3. alphabeta

Sorry! Only now I get what I wrote :( I thought he meant "back of the arm" but I got confused. Anyway, I only inject in the back of my arms but recently Lantus has been going way harsh on me :( I reduced so far by 9 units and still it crashes me within 2 hours. So I was wondering if maybe I have too little fat to hold the Lantus in my arm? Maybe I should try my thighs because "maybe" it usually contains more fat for Lantus to sit on.
    Also you shouldn't inject in inner thighs your risk is higher to hit a vein or a muscle!

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Well-Known Member

Plenty of padding on the inside of my thigh. Hurt or bled way more often when I used the outsides, so I guess I have funny legs :).
    I switched from Lantus to Tresiba and I like it a lot better.

5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have injected in my shoulders. Usually if wearing a jumpsuit type outfit where leg/stomach tricky to reach. Not had any problems.

6. alphabeta

I am switching very soon to Tresiba! Can't wait

• Like Like x 2
  7. alphabeta

Hmm I think I'm going to stick to the usual sites

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook