martynlloydkelly

Hello everyone!

I submitted an online version of the DIAB1 form last night since my licence needs to be renewed and the question format concerning hypoglycaemia declaration has changed. I last filled out a paper version of the form 3 years ago but was given the option of the online version this time.

It first describes what the symptoms of hypos are, and what a hypo is, and then a series of questions were presented :

1. Have you ever had a hypo?
2. Have you had none, one, or two+ in the past 12 months?
3. Did you require assistance with any of the hypos referenced in question 2?

I answered the questions honestly:

1. Yes: what diabetic hasn't?
2. Yes: minor hypos due to overshooting insulin after eating out, exercise, random blood glucose fluctuations, etc.
3. No: since they were minor and I have good hypo awareness so I was able to treat them.

I'm now terrified that I may have my licence revoked though. Has anybody here answered the questions in this way and kept their licence? The fact that I answered "no" to question 3 would, I hope, result in me not having my licence revoked.

All the best,

- Martyn

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Martyn,

I passed my test back in 1986?
Back then the paper work was a little simpler. However, like you I tried to covey a clear definition of never having a hypo that needed assistance.
What dropped back through the door has always been the maximum 3 year licence.
(My renewal was late last year.)

Personally? These days, due to the assumed high volume of health related (not just diabetes.) restricted licences winding up ar DVLA sorting office then sitting in some persons desk "pigeon hole". I tend to keep the facts breif & to the point. Though I still stress that any hypo still wakes me at night.
It's all just box ticking at the end of the day..

I wish you the best of luck. I don't see you've anything to worry about.

J>

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@martynlloydkelly they just want to know about severe hypos - hypos requiring assistance - if you have had 2 or more in the last 12 months, then they suspend your licence until you are 12 months free of a severe hypo. If you haven't had any severe hypos, then you'll be fine with licence renewal.

martynlloydkelly

@Jaylee @catapillar Thank you both so much for the reassurance! I read the guidelines and explanations provided by the DVLA thoroughly but, having had my licence rescinded in the past due to the lack of context provision around the "severe hypoglycemia" question, I've been incredibly worried after filling out the online renewal form, given its unfamiliar question format.

I'll keep the thread updated with my outcome, in case any one else has similar concerns. I'm hopeful that my licence is re-issued now given what you've both said. Perhaps I can sleep a little easier tonight!

Many thanks again

- Martyn

Reactions: Jaylee

Tomb2112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.. I am renewing my license now and have come accross the same questions! What was the outcome of your renewal?
Thanks!:)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone!

I submitted an online version of the DIAB1 form last night since my licence needs to be renewed and the question format concerning hypoglycaemia declaration has changed. I last filled out a paper version of the form 3 years ago but was given the option of the online version this time.

It first describes what the symptoms of hypos are, and what a hypo is, and then a series of questions were presented :

1. Have you ever had a hypo?
2. Have you had none, one, or two+ in the past 12 months?
3. Did you require assistance with any of the hypos referenced in question 2?

I answered the questions honestly:

1. Yes: what diabetic hasn't?
2. Yes: minor hypos due to overshooting insulin after eating out, exercise, random blood glucose fluctuations, etc.
3. No: since they were minor and I have good hypo awareness so I was able to treat them.

I'm now terrified that I may have my licence revoked though. Has anybody here answered the questions in this way and kept their licence? The fact that I answered "no" to question 3 would, I hope, result in me not having my licence revoked.

All the best,

- Martyn
I am currently in the same state as you. It has been 3 months since I submitted my licence, and I am still being kept in limbo. My car insurance runs out next week, and I can either renew by paying a full year in advance, with no option to cancel early, or to take my car off the road even though I am currently allowed to drive while waiting for DVLA. I cannot get any temporary cover note like one used to do in past years, so how does that work?

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I also just filled mine in and would be interested to find out what happens. My understanding (from a remembered thread here) was it was problematic if you put that you had no hypos because then they think you have absolutely no hypo awareness. Hopefully that still holds true....

I have to say I didn't like the online process and gave up and went back to paper.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently in the same state as you. It has been 3 months since I submitted my licence, and I am still being kept in limbo. My car insurance runs out next week, and I can either renew by paying a full year in advance, with no option to cancel early, or to take my car off the road even though I am currently allowed to drive while waiting for DVLA. I cannot get any temporary cover note like one used to do in past years, so how does that work?
Update on progress (or lack of) I had to get a Section 88 letter from DVLA to show the insurance company, and then I had to take a full year policy in advance so no cover note. This policy also has a hefty fee if I have to make any changes in the driver status, and of course there is a 3 month penalty if I have to cancel the policy if I lose my licence. I did try to get a non family member on the policy as the named driver, but this was unsuccessful since I am the keeper. So properly stitched up.

The letter from DVLA also states that it can take more than 12 months for them to make a decision, and if I exceed the 12 months then I need to make a fresh application and start all over again.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also just filled mine in and would be interested to find out what happens. My understanding (from a remembered thread here) was it was problematic if you put that you had no hypos because then they think you have absolutely no hypo awareness. Hopefully that still holds true....

I have to say I didn't like the online process and gave up and went back to paper.
My consultant told me that the forms doctors receive have 3 options:
No hypo awareness
Reduced hypo awareness
Full hypo awareness
If they don't tick Full hypo awareness, the patient's license will be withdrawn.

Skipster

I’m one month into T1D. Today I received my response from dvla saying my license will be switched to a medical license and must be renewed every 3 years.

I am unimpressed by this. Is this same for everyone else?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m one month into T1D. Today I received my response from dvla saying my license will be switched to a medical license and must be renewed every 3 years.

I am unimpressed by this. Is this same for everyone else?
Yes everyone on insulin will have a license of a maximum of 3years.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Good news i got my licence back and all ok. The next day i got the letter saying they'd approved my licence and i'd receive it in the next few weeks......

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good news i got my licence back and all ok. The next day i got the letter saying they'd approved my licence and i'd receive it in the next few weeks......
Nice One. Me, I am still waiting for Godot. Some day my prints will come. Over the Rainbow, but not yet over the Moon.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you stop taking insulin rely on medication do you get normal licence restored rather than a 3 year one thanks

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you stop taking insulin rely on medication do you get normal licence restored rather than a 3 year one thanks
Not necessarily. The wording has recently changed so that using any hypoglycemic medication requires to be treated along similar lines to insulin. So using a sulfuronyl tablet counts almost as insulin. It is mainly to do with risk of hypo, so I think it is a requirement to inform them of this whereas before an oral meds only regime did not need to be declared for car or bike.
https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving.

Seems to be mandatory for lorry or bus/minibus drivers, but not for car and motorbike, where it is shown as optional.

Certainly it is mandatory to report any occurrence of a hypo where external assistance is required, and after 2 of these in any 12 months then the licence must be surrendered. The responsibility for this is with the driver,

You must also inform your insurance company since they may decide not to cover you in the event of an accident.