Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

I am 24 and a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed 18 years ago. I work in the City of London and as we know, the UK is experiencing a heat wave. Temperatures this week are around 33/34 degrees - 91.4F.

The office I work in does not have air con and minimal fans. The humidity in London is extreme and it is getting on top of me, making me unproductive and feeling ill.

What are the grounds to ask to work from home in these conditions? Can anyone help?

Reactions: Freema
D

Deleted Account

This may help: http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/faq.htm
However, there is no legal maximum working temperature. I think this is because some work environments (e.g. foundries) need to be hot.

From a diabetes perspective and Disability Discrimination Act, it is illegal for your employer to discriminate against you because of diabetes. Disability discrimination law does not work on the principle of treating everyone the same, but rather on the understanding that because of the difficulties many people with a disability face, they may have to be treated more favourably to ensure equal treatment.
I cannot think of any reason why diabetes should require favourable treatment in the heat: someone else may.

If it possible to do your job from home and you have proven you can be trusted, it should not count against you to ask your employer.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I cannot think of any reason why diabetes should require favourable treatment in the heat: someone else may.
I'd be concerned about keeping my insulin pens at such a high temperature, you might need to store them in some sort of cool bag. I don't know what you do if you're on a pump?
But honestly, apart from that I don't think diabetics are worse off than non diabetics - they'll all be feeling miserable.

Reactions: Rokaab and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If a diabetic has any adding diseases then it can become a nightmare and impossible to stay well in this very hot temperature on work both if blood glucose fluctuate a lot or if one can not get blood glucose down into a normal level , it could also worse problems like infectious wounds or neuropathy because of people getting worse in the heat and the body swolling

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If a diabetic has any adding diseases then it can become a nightmare and impossible to stay well in this very hot temperature on work both if blood glucose fluctuate a lot or if one can not get blood glucose down i to a normal level , it could also worse problems like infectious wounds or neuropathy because of people getting worse in the heat and the body swolling
I agree and I have experienced this. I am going to see how I cope during my working day but I can already feel myself declining

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most pump manufacturers say they are fine up to 40 degrees so this is unlikely to be a problem in a non airconditioned office.
Whilst most pump manufacturers may state this, I have had numerous insulin pumps break in the heat, resulting in panic

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd be concerned about keeping my insulin pens at such a high temperature, you might need to store them in some sort of cool bag. I don't know what you do if you're on a pump?
But honestly, apart from that I don't think diabetics are worse off than non diabetics - they'll all be feeling miserable.
Yes, this is an issue for me. Whilst also dealing with diabetic complications which again, cause more issues in the heat. I have never to this day, taken a day off of work for my diabetes and I sadly feel like a liability having to request a working from home day. Despite suggesting that the heat affects us all the same, unfortunately for me it doesn't seem to be the case and I am worried I will put myself in danger.

Mitch1872

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being fat
Ive been type 1 for 40 years now, I have experience heat like this back in the day but this time around my blood sugars are going crazy two I’ve had highs of 22.2 so trying to do physical demanding things is a killer taking loads more fast acting and not really eating. Because I feel so bloody awful, Wells it’s a pain then last Friday I hypo 3 x the heat is definitely effecting me more this time. My bs are reading 8 now and I’ve just finished cleaning for 2 hours and taking my dogs for a good walk earlier on this morning had 2 nimble toast for my breakfast arrrrrrrr frustrated much

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I am 24 and a type 1 diabetic, diagnosed 18 years ago. I work in the City of London and as we know, the UK is experiencing a heat wave. Temperatures this week are around 33/34 degrees - 91.4F.

The office I work in does not have air con and minimal fans. The humidity in London is extreme and it is getting on top of me, making me unproductive and feeling ill.

What are the grounds to ask to work from home in these conditions? Can anyone help?
Could you bring a small fan from home to place on your desk? I assume there is a fridge in the coffee area so could you put a plastic bag of wet face cloths in to use during the day to cool down. I got a brilliant hand fan for a friend going through chemo. Its called a Ufan and is available from Victoriahealth.com. She loves it.

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ive been type 1 for 40 years now, I have experience heat like this back in the day but this time around my blood sugars are going crazy two I’ve had highs of 22.2 so trying to do physical demanding things is a killer taking loads more fast acting and not really eating. Because I feel so bloody awful, Wells it’s a pain then last Friday I hypo 3 x the heat is definitely effecting me more this time. My bs are reading 8 now and I’ve just finished cleaning for 2 hours and taking my dogs for a good walk earlier on this morning had 2 nimble toast for my breakfast arrrrrrrr frustrated much
I feel your pain Mitch! It's hard to function at work when your blood readings are all over the place due to the weather!

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could you bring a small fan from home to place on your desk? I assume there is a fridge in the coffee area so could you put a plastic bag of wet face cloths in to use during the day to cool down. I got a brilliant hand fan for a friend going through chemo. Its called a Ufan and is available from Victoriahealth.com. She loves it.
I was questioning whether it was a good idea to invest in a fan as sadly our office only have a small number and they are all in use! Thanks for suggesting me one :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
well a fan does a lot of difference , I would buy one myself if it was me... just to be able to stand the whole working day... I also have one at home which I will put on later today as the heat creeps into my flat

Reactions: Ekvme

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’d second/third the idea of taking your own fan. A damp cloth around your neck will help too. Heat is making me feel very unwell, so I feel your pain. It’s making me quite insulin resistant too.

Ekvme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coincidentally, I have just read this: https://www.stylist.co.uk/life/care...-from-work-office-career-workers-rights/45850.
Pretty much confirms there is no legal too hot temperature but the TUC are campaigning for one.
I think sitting in 34 degree heat, soon to be 36 on Thursday on leather chairs in the middle of the city is without a doubt having an impact on my diabetes and my complications. Whilst there is no legal temperature we should be working in, I haven't asked for that answer! I have asked for advice in how i am feeling with the heat rising my blood sugars dramatically.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you feel too unwell you might take some days off being ill

D

Deleted Account

I think sitting in 34 degree heat, soon to be 36 on Thursday on leather chairs in the middle of the city is without a doubt having an impact on my diabetes and my complications. Whilst there is no legal temperature we should be working in, I haven't asked for that answer! I have asked for advice in how i am feeling with the heat rising my blood sugars dramatically.
Sorry I misunderstood your question "What are the grounds to ask to work from home in these conditions?"
I hope you get the chance to work from home or your employer provides some sort of possibility to cool down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there is any harm in sitting down with your line manager and saying that you are feeling ill in the heat, it is hard to control your BG levels and you would like to try working from home tomorrow to see whether that makes you feel better. They can only say no.