Pump And Cgm Feedback

LeahJane

I'm currently using annimas vibe and dexcom 4 but have to choose a new pump. My options are
Medtronic 640g with the Medtronic cgm.
Medtronic 640g with dexcom 6.
Ypso pump with dexcom 6.
Omnipod with dexcom 6 (least favourite option as I'm highly likely to forget the handset)
Does anyone have any experience or feedback with these options that they would like to share with me please :)

Reactions: kitedoc

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic 640G with their Enlite sensor and transmitter. On the whole, it is a very good set up but there are hiccups now and again. I'm lucky enough to have NHS funding, so don't have to worry about about the fact that the sensors are only supposed to last 6 days. When my sensitive skin allows it, I restart the sensor after 6 days, and I get a total of 12 days from it.

I have no experience of any other make of pump or cgm.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I use the Medtronic 640G with their Enlite sensor and transmitter. On the whole, it is a very good set up but there are hiccups now and again. I'm lucky enough to have NHS funding, so don't have to worry about about the fact that the sensors are only supposed to last 6 days. When my sensitive skin allows it, I restart the sensor after 6 days, and I get a total of 12 days from it.

I have no experience of any other make of pump or cgm.
How did you manage to get the enlite sensor on script? I am hoping to be starting on the 640g soon but have been told that I will not be eligible for the sensor. I have zero hypo awareness and it on times scares me to death

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did you manage to get the enlite sensor on script? I am hoping to be starting on the 640g soon but have been told that I will not be eligible for the sensor. I have zero hypo awareness and it on times scares me to death
My DSN suggested I ask my consultant if I could be considered for the cgm due to my reduced hypo awareness. My consultant agreed it would be a good idea and told me to see my DSN about filling out an application. All I had to do was write out bullet points about how my way of life was affected, for example testing every half hour while dancing. Thankfully I was successful and it has made a great difference to my life.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
My DSN suggested I ask my consultant if I could be considered for the cgm due to my reduced hypo awareness. My consultant agreed it would be a good idea and told me to see my DSN about filling out an application. All I had to do was write out bullet points about how my way of life was affected, for example testing every half hour while dancing. Thankfully I was successful and it has made a great difference to my life.

Thats promising to hear. I will have to mention it to the pump consultant when I eventually get to see him. Thanks for the info

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do the doctors assess your ability to detect hypos when considering a CGM......do they need see meter readings and/or hospital visits....?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do the doctors assess your ability to detect hypos when considering a CGM......do they need see meter readings and/or hospital visits....?
I had been asked various questions about hypos over many clinic visits. Obviously my test results were available for them to look at. I could be wrong but I got the impression that if I hadn't asked about the cgm, I wouldn't have got it. I still had some hypo awareness, so there were no incidents where I was taken to hospital. I remember asking my consultant why I used to make mistakes in simple knitting patterns when my BG was just below 4, but I could now do complicated patterns with no problem when my BG was at 2.? with no hypo symptoms. He explained why, but made no comments about cgm. . . . Times change, but maybe it's a case of, if you don't ask you don't get.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@por69 if there was anyone who needed a CGM on script it's you, I suspect postcode lottery at it's finest!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@por69 if there was anyone who needed a CGM on script it's you, I suspect postcode lottery at it's finest!

@slip I will be asking about it AND pushing the point with my total lack of hypo awareness. As soon as I get the appointment with the new consultant.......taking ages!!!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
I'm waiting on my Medtronic to arrive at the endo centre and just set up subscription for the sensors etc. Just had a payrise which luckily, covers the $250 a month for the transmitter and sensors.

I'm upgrading from the Spirit Combo which I've had for 3 years.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@aphex2k good luck with your new pump and cgm. It can take a bit of getting used to but the cgm is great for me. The best tip Medtronic gave me was to remember not to press "the serter" down on the chosen site, as this can cause the sensor to bend and either give poor readings or be rejected. It's amazing how you can think you're not pressing down at all but, when you look closely, you can see that some pressure is being used. All will be made clear when you are shown how to insert the sensor.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Thanks for the tip! I guess that once the sensor has bent it's useless?

Pump should arrive Thursday and the sensors a few days after. Reckon that will give me a couple of days getting used to the new pump before I fully switch to CGM.

Had a horrible night with my levels yesterday - spiked to 24 at 8pm. Then I woke up this morning with that sweaty feeling we all love.