Hba1c Not Playing Ball

Mijoed

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had an HbA1c test four months back and was declared prediabetic at 6.1%.
That gave me a bit of a shock so I adjusted my diet to eliminate all foods with added sugar, carbs that essentially reduce directly to sugar such as white rice and bread, beer, all fruit juices.
I stepped up days in the gym strength training and stepped up cycling to about 150 miles a week. Last week was nearly 180 miles. At 6ft and 74 kgs, I dont have much room to lose weight but I am down 2kg since the test.
Just has another test done a few days back and it is still 6.0%. The GP, who probably doesnt know me, suggested (on the phone) being more active and maybe losing a little weight. Huhh?
Just what am I missing?
Mike

Reactions: Freema

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I react to strenuous exercise with elevated blood glucose - perhaps you are trying too hard and something slower might be more soothing to your liver and it will not throw out glucose to help with the exercise?

Do you test your BG levels during or after exercise?

What carbs do you eat on your usual routine - and do you have shakes or protein bars after exercise?

Mijoed

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I react to strenuous exercise with elevated blood glucose - perhaps you are trying too hard and something slower might be more soothing to your liver and it will not throw out glucose to help with the exercise?

Do you test your BG levels during or after exercise?

What carbs do you eat on your usual routine - and do you have shakes or protein bars after exercise?

Yes, I do occasionally check my BG levels just after exercise. Usually see values of 4.0 - 4.5. No shakes after or during exercise and I tend to have scrambled eggs afterwards. No gels while cycling and, on a long ride (50 miles plus) I may have a Date, cashew and ginger bar. This is a maximum of 2 bars a week.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I do occasionally check my BG levels just after exercise. Usually see values of 4.0 - 4.5. No shakes after or during exercise and I tend to have scrambled eggs afterwards. No gels while cycling and, on a long ride (50 miles plus) I may have a Date, cashew and ginger bar. This is a maximum of 2 bars a week.
Any other carb heavy meals? You mention white carbs but most of us find brown carbs equally bad..all carbs are best minimised or avoided to bring your blood sugar down.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mijoed - As a pre-diabetic, you probably have more wiggle room when it comes to carbs than many who become T2, however, it may be that the swap (and I'm speculating here, so if I'm wrong, forgive me) from white carbs to wholemeal, for example, may not be quite enough. You may need to look at dialling those down a bit too, to get under that wire.

Personally, I'd not be having the date, cashew and ginger bar, but then I really, really don't like dates.......

To summarise, there may be some tweaking required.