Timing Question Re Metformin

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am T2 and am prescribed 3 tablets of Metformin 500mg tablets daily. Can someone tell me what is the specific purpose of Metformin as in: (a) Is it to try and stabilise my blood sugar levels at all times? In which case taking 1 tablet every 8 hours might be seen as optimum, (b) Is it to try and reduce the impact of eating meals on my blood sugar levels? In which case perhaps I should take my tablets at a fixed period in relation to my meals e.g. at the same time / 1 hour after eating / etc., or (c) Is the impact of timing minimal, so I could consider taking all 3 tablets once a day. Any advice will be absorbed and considered. Thank you in advance.

D

Deleted member 308541

I take my twice daily Metformin XR with meals, as per the pharmacy instructions on the box:

"Swallow whole ONE tablet TWICE daily with food as directed by your doctor."

Easy enough to understand for me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin takes about 20 mins to dissolve in the stomach. so I take mine about half an hour before my main meal(s). I did keep a log of bgl and noted that for me there was a noticeable but small decrease in bgl when I got it right. It needs to dissolve so it can work to block the conversion of starches into glucose in the gut so like a Tampax, it needs to expand to max fluffiness before the meal passes through.

Apart from that I believe the Metfartin takes a few weeks to build up a decent plasma level which is not so time senstive. It is this plasma component that is said to reduce Insulin Resistance, and to provide the other benefits wrt CVE protection that Met is also said to have. Metformin has 3 basic mechanisms that work to help reduce diabetes. but actually it is p*** poor at reducing the bgl levels by much, and is only good for a couple of mmol/l off the meter readings with a following wind,( which most of us Met users tend to suffer from)

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you to you who have added your comments. My summary of what you have told me is this - (a) there is a long-term benefit of using Metformin and to gain this it is only necessary to take the prescription and not be pedantic about timing through the day, and (b) the most benefit affected by timing is to take the Metformin a little before meals with the objective of lowering any peaks in bgl that would otherwise occur because of each meal. Thanks again.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

May I suggest, if you are new to Metformin, to take with, or immediately after, your meal to reduce any potential gut upset, which is certainly not unusual. This gut upset will often settle down, although not always in which case a slow release version maybe better tolerated.

I can't disagree with @Oldvatr as I have no experience of Metformin helping to keep BGs down if taken shortly before a meal. Once you are confident you tolerate Metformin OK, then certainly give Oldvatr's suggestion a try ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Metformin takes about 20 mins to dissolve in the stomach. so I take mine about half an hour before my main meal(s). I did keep a log of bgl and noted that for me there was a noticeable but small decrease in bgl when I got it right. It needs to dissolve so it can work to block the conversion of starches into glucose in the gut so like a Tampax, it needs to expand to max fluffiness before the meal passes through.

Apart from that I believe the Metfartin takes a few weeks to build up a decent plasma level which is not so time senstive. It is this plasma component that is said to reduce Insulin Resistance, and to provide the other benefits wrt CVE protection that Met is also said to have. Metformin has 3 basic mechanisms that work to help reduce diabetes. but actually it is p*** poor at reducing the bgl levels by much, and is only good for a couple of mmol/l off the meter readings with a following wind,( which most of us Met users tend to suffer from)
A rated funny for the Metfartin very funny and accurate too. :)