Carb Counting Advice Please

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I’ve been carb counting for the last two months (newly diagnosed type 2) and using the “carbohydrate” number on packets or found by googling. I’m aiming at 60g to 90g per day

I’ve just read something that says “net carbs”, I.e. deducting the fibre figure - should I be doing this?

Am I using the right figures?

Reactions: Bingale1 and zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on where you live.

If you are in UK it will be already done for you usually, but in USA it isn't, so if you live in USA (and maybe other countries too?) then yes, you need to calculate net carbs.

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on where you live.

If you are in UK it will be already done for you usually, but in USA it isn't, so if you live in USA (and maybe other countries too?) then yes, you need to calculate net carbs.

Ah, that explains it. I’m in the UK.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, that explains it. I’m in the UK.
That's easy then no sums required :)

Just be careful if you ever use MyFitnessPal because some of the carb values are posted by people in the UK and some from people in the USA. I got caught out once when I was checking the carbs in brussels sprouts lol. :rolleyes:

Glennis67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's easy then no sums required :)

Just be careful if you ever use MyFitnessPal because some of the carb values are posted by people in the UK and some from people in the USA. I got caught out once when I was checking the carbs in brussels sprouts lol. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for your advice, I was getting worried that I was doing something wrong. I’ve been sticking to my carb count and my three month blood test is in 10 days so fingers crossed.

PS I hate Brussels sprouts, I’m definitely not going to look at those!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your advice, I was getting worried that I was doing something wrong. I’ve been sticking to my carb count and my three month blood test is in 10 days so fingers crossed.

PS I hate Brussels sprouts, I’m definitely not going to look at those!
Oooh good luck with your tests. Let us know how you get on :)
lol re brussels sprouts. :)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe that with the current extended heatwave and little rain, there will be a shortage of certain vegetables, sprouts being one of them. So, you'll have a good excuse not to eat sprouts this winter season ;)