Ideas Foe Low Carb Breakfasts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I'm looking for low carb breakfast idea that are quick and easy but don't contain eggs or vegetables. Many thanks

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My current favourite is coconut milk and coconut flour though I am currently using a flaxseed, almond, walnut mix (Linwoods). I do have an egg whisked in which thickens it up nicely without being at all eggy. Top with almond butter.
Or coffee whisked up with butter and coconut oil (bullet proof) with some nuts is pretty filling though be prepared for shock and awe if you tell any 'normal' cornflake munchers what you have for breakfast....

Reactions: whitech

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I typically have flaxseed with full fat yogurt, others on the forum would have bacon or a coffee with cream.

You could reheat a portion of previous evenings meal, or slices of meat with a few nuts.

The what have you eaten posts might also give you some ideas

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look on diet doctor website for some ideas too.

One of my favourite weekend breakfasts is pancakes
Pancakes

(small scotch pancake style)
Ingredients
10 (5 in brackets) small pancakes:
  • 60 g (30g) full fat cream cheese/ Philadelphia

• 75 g (37.5g) ground almond

• 1 tsp. (1/2 tsp) baking powder

• 2 (1) eggs

• 1 tsp. (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence
Method:
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth (stick blender or hand mix). Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes

Pour 2 tbsp. of the mixture on a quite hot (but not too hot!), greased pan and fry until golden. Flip the pancake and cook on the other side.

Reactions: Primrosefairydust

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee or tea with double cream? I don't have breakfast preferring to extend my overnight fast for the health benefits.
An alternative would be bacon I'm guessing you'd prefer without eggs... or any meal that you would eat at any time of the day.. There's no need whatsoever for "breakfast" to be a special food type... just food is fine. Just avoid anything recognised as the usual breakfast fare (cereal, toast, museli or other stuff like that).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you not like eggs or are you allergic? If it’s just the taste, this is my everyday breakfast, I love it sooooo much. It contains egg but doesn’t taste eggy. Just chuck all the ingredients in a non stick saucepan over a low heat and stir continuously til it thickens. It takes as long to cook as my Nespresso takes to brew my coffee! I eat it with strawberries and cream :hungry:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My current favourite is coconut milk and coconut flour though I am currently using a flaxseed, almond, walnut mix (Linwoods). I do have an egg whisked in which thickens it up nicely without being at all eggy. Top with almond butter.
Or coffee whisked up with butter and coconut oil (bullet proof) with some nuts is pretty filling though be prepared for shock and awe if you tell any 'normal' cornflake munchers what you have for breakfast....
I love seeing people’s faces when I tell them about bullet proof coffee, I love it

Reactions: NicoleC1971

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold meat wrapped around cheese is super quick and easy
I make an almond milk smoothie with a little bit of fruit or nut butter
I can vouch for the porridge recipe mentioned by @Rachox it’s a treat breakfast for me and as said doesn’t taste eggy
Hope some of these options appeal to you :)

M

Moggely

Do you not like eggs or are you allergic? If it’s just the taste, this is my everyday breakfast, I love it sooooo much. It contains egg but doesn’t taste eggy. Just chuck all the ingredients in a non stick saucepan over a low heat and stir continuously til it thickens. It takes as long to cook as my Nespresso takes to brew my coffee! I eat it with strawberries and cream :hungry:

@Rachox Can you trade the coconut cream with almond milk. Probably makes a difference to the taste though, just curious as i went shopping yesterday and forgot the coconut cream. Living two hours away from shops on a mountain and wasn't going to travel two hours back for coconut cream.:hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Eggs on there own (like scrambled eggs) sit on my stomach like a lead weight I can eat them with other things I'm just not a morning person. I like my oatibix and skimmed milk with a mug of black coffee on my own with my book. After about an hour I'm fine and have woken up. Even with the oatibix I've kept my carbs around the 100 grams a day mark my weights dropping and I'll find out if my BG has improved next week when I see the DN.

Reactions: Liz231185

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox Can you trade the coconut cream with almond milk. Probably makes a difference to the taste though, just curious as i went shopping yesterday and forgot the coconut cream. Living two hours away from shops on a mountain and wasn't going to travel two hours back for coconut cream.:hilarious:

I sometimes have trouble getting the coconut cream but have never actually run out so I’ve not tried to substitute it. It is thicker than almond milk, especially in cold weather when it actually solidifies! I use butter rather than the suggested coconut oil. May be if you used coconut oil and the coconut flour with almond milk it would still be sufficiently coconutty? If you try it, let us know how it goes as I’ll know I have an alternative if I ever run out of coconut cream.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chia seeds soaked overnight in hazelnut/coconut/almond/soya/full cream cows milk, or just water. You can add sweetener, flavouring and cream to taste.

Emma1978

I have a Nature valley protein bar for breakfast when I want something quick and easy which I can eat on my way to work, they’re the only breakfast type bar I’ve found which have more protein than carb, 20% carb and 25% protein and they’re really tasty.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Coffee or tea with double cream? I don't have breakfast preferring to extend my overnight fast for the health benefits.
An alternative would be bacon I'm guessing you'd prefer without eggs... or any meal that you would eat at any time of the day.. There's no need whatsoever for "breakfast" to be a special food type... just food is fine. Just avoid anything recognised as the usual breakfast fare (cereal, toast, museli or other stuff like that).
I never have breakfast either. It is not even because I want to prolong my fast, just that I find breakfast limits me for a change of what to eat for lunch and dinner. I often skip lunch and will sometimes just have one meal. What I am finding is many recipes are loaded with cheese. If I were to have 3 meals a day I would get bored because we are more limited.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep reading peoples "cheese" items, is this a special cheese or could I actually eat any cheese?
Most full fat cheeses should be fine - just avoid the Lite/ reduced/low fat types - or any with any form of added sugar. Pre-packaged cheese will have nutritional data supplied, so check total carbs, and maybe the list of ingredients too, if in any doubt!

Robbity

Reactions: Terryp