Type 1 Insulin Getting To Body After Changing Reservour/infusion Set

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone !
Is it possible that after changing infusion set or reservoir some insulin gets to the body ?
It's especially annoying issue during the summer, and sometimes it caused serious hipoglicemia (52 mg/dl) after changing infusion set.
Or it's more likely that this situations are fault of the infusion set itself and I should make a complaint to medtronic ?
I use Sure-T, but this same occurred with silhouettes
Or perhaps it's normal due too some pressure inside the cannula/body ?

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think I understand what you mean.....?
I meant, if it's possible that after changing infusion set or reservoir some insulin unintentionally gets to the body. Very frequently i have rapidly decreasing sugar level right after changing infusion set.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you pull your old cannula out and put a fresh one in......yeah?

Insulin is going to get the body as you are now plugged back in.....

Sorry if I am not getting it......lol

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you pull your old cannula out and put a fresh one in......yeah?

Insulin is going to get the body as you are now plugged back in.....

Sorry if I am not getting it......lol
I meant if it's possible that it gets to the body UNINTENTIONALLY, right at the moment of changing the set, without applying it manually via bolus on the insulin pump
even in small quantities

Reactions: novorapidboi26
D

Deleted Account

I use an Animas pump. When I change the set, I go through the following steps
- attach a new cannula
- rewind the pump
- load the cartridge into the pump
- prime (fill the tube)
- attach to the cannula
- fill cannula

With this, the only way insulin can get into my body is if I over fill the cannula (the last step).

Alternatively, is it possible that your post set change hypo is caused by something else?
For example, is your insulin going "off" in your pump so not as strong and when you change it, you are using "stronger" insulin?
I think this could happen if the insulin gets very hot.
It is not something I have experienced but I guess is more likely in hot weather.

Sorry, I cannot think of anything else which may be causing your hypos ... but, there again, I am not familiar with your pump.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I change infusion sets I have to use a 70% basal for 2 hours after, otherwise I go hypo.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I meant if it's possible that it gets to the body UNINTENTIONALLY, right at the moment of changing the set, without applying it manually via bolus on the insulin pump
even in small quantities

I get it now......wow, sorry about that....

I personally wouldn't expect to see any insulin get in......but it depends on how you go about the set change....

For me, I start the rewind process, unscrew and pull it out......then prepare the new one, screw it in once the rewind is complete, fill the tubing, apply cannula....prime....