Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello, thank you for all the great info. I’ve been type 2 for about 10 years now following gestational diabetes 6 years before that with my youngest. I lost my way a little I think.
I still really struggle with the shame of having type 2 knowing that it’s preventable and completely and absolutely my fault.
Anyway....new focus, new me!

It was not your fault. It was never your fault. No one wakes up one morning thinking 'Hey! T2 sounds like a lot of fun, let's do that' or 'I might be at risk but I won't worry until I get a diagnosis'. The same goes for GD, too. There is no blame. Give yourself a break, you are tackling the condition right now by wanting to learn about it and being willing to make some changes. There is hope, put the shame into the only place it belongs.... in the bin!

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I still really struggle with the shame of having type 2 knowing that it’s preventable and completely and absolutely my fault.

Welcome to the forum, there will be plenty of help. I have a few ideas myself.

Shame? There is no shame, have you been reading the Daily Mail?

Preventable? I don't think that's entirely true. While there is some association between being overweight and type II, whatever that association is, it doesn't explain why some overweight people do not have type II or why non overweight people do. Don't forget that insulin resistance will cause the pancreas to create more insulin and insulin is the hormone that controls the storage of fat.

Absolutely your fault? Not true either, although environmental conditions come into the equation. There are risk factors, see what Diabetes UK have to say.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Prevent...MIio-ln9_v3AIVCbTtCh0cvAeHEAAYASAAEgIf1fD_BwE

Absolutely! Onward and upward. All the very best.

Annie Wilf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was not your fault. It was never your fault. No one wakes up one morning thinking 'Hey! T2 sounds like a lot of fun, let's do that' or 'I might be at risk but I won't worry until I get a diagnosis'. The same goes for GD, too. There is no blame. Give yourself a break, you are tackling the condition right now by wanting to learn about it and being willing to make some changes. There is hope, put the shame into the only place it belongs.... in the bin!

Thank you for your support x

Last edited by a moderator:

Annie Wilf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum, there will be plenty of help. I have a few ideas myself.

Shame? There is no shame, have you been reading the Daily Mail?

Preventable? I don't think that's entirely true. While there is some association between being overweight and type II, whatever that association is, it doesn't explain why some overweight people do not have type II or why non overweight people do. Don't forget that insulin resistance will cause the pancreas to create more insulin and insulin is the hormone that controls the storage of fat.

Absolutely your fault? Not true either, although environmental conditions come into the equation. There are risk factors, see what Diabetes UK have to say.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Prevent...MIio-ln9_v3AIVCbTtCh0cvAeHEAAYASAAEgIf1fD_BwE

Absolutely! Onward and upward. All the very best.

Thank you for the boost x

Last edited by a moderator:

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes is a funny thing.
I'm T1 (type 1) and have been for 50 years. No one else in my family has T1.
My mother was 86 and never had a lick of diabetes in her whole life, though she drank 4 tsps of sugar every time she had a cup of coffee and ate whatever she felt like eating.
My father was 75 and never had a lick of diabetes in his whole life, though he drank many cups of coffee a day, each with 5 tsps of sugar in them and ate whatever he felt like eating.
My brother has type 2, though no one else in our family ever did.
My point with all this is there's no shame with diabetes. You'll get it or you won't. I'd hate to see you waste your energy on shame.

Reactions: Guzzler
M

Moggely

Hi Annie I have only just started taking the cinnamon capsules, the same one as Rachox takes. Not the cassia powder as, like she said it's not good on liver. I'm hoping to see some improvement and only time will tell. Will let you know how i go though. Good luck if you try them, it's worth a shot.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I took cinnamon tablets for a couple of years and I did think my blood sugars were better. Stopped temprarily while I had some abnormal liver tests but made no change and consultant not concerned so restarted. However I stopped again a couple of months ago (cost) and so far haven't seen a dramatic rise but havenot been having the very low readings either. My glyclazide was reduced to 40mg. May restart again soon - I was using Syntra5 - and see what happens. Had it on monthly delivery.
Can't stand the taste of powdered cinnamon!!
Most recent HbA1c 55 which GP was ok with

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Hello, thank you for all the great info. I’ve been type 2 for about 10 years now following gestational diabetes 6 years before that with my youngest. I lost my way a little I think.

Welcome to the forum.
Going to be blunt, but to say it’s absolutely your fault is absolute rubbish! I’m type 2 and it’s never even occurred to me to feel shame. Not our fault so why feel ashamed?