Struggling To Administer Insulin

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Really could do with some help & advice please. I’ve been on insulin since mid June, initially was on a roll injecting.
Now all of a sudden I’m struggling to administer it. I’m not doing anything differently than I have been.

I’m noticing that I can feel the needle being inserted, which then causes a sting. My muscles are all tensing up. Last night was the first night I physically couldn’t do.

I’m using 4mm needles, Levemir insulin now on 28u’s.

Thanks all in advance x

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Although the same size, has your gp changed the brand of needles recently? Not sure how I discovered it and it may be I have more fat on me than you but laying on the sofa and then injecting into spare belly fat I found to be completely pain free - don't feel a thing!

Reactions: Jayden2407

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Libby3781, At diagnosis at age 13, I had trouble starting off with injections and ended up for a few months using an injector device.
One thing I wonder is whether as the Lantus dose increases it might hurt or sting a bit more and that might have sensitised you to the needle sting. Of course there is the occasional injection that does not sting at all. I guess it depends on whether the needle has hurt a nerve.
Perhaps applying a block of ice for some seconds before injecting might help reduce the sting of the needle or a slap to the skin. Also I found that the best way is to sort of throw the needle in, NOT push the needle tentatively through the skin.
If you have ever observed nurses giving injections they usually push the needle through quickly. Patients have told them that the other way stings too much !!
Best Wishes with javelin practice !!

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read about your injection woes.
Have you tried numbing the area you inject?
The cheap option is to use an ice cube but this may not be available all the time so you may benefit from "numbing creams".

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Using a fresh needle each time? Any change in brand? Insulin not cold (stings from fridge)? Try a different area like your bottom which has more fat!

Reactions: Libby3781

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
May I ask if you are picking nice areas of skin with some fat???

Two sides to this... it sounds as if you are tensing up which doesn’t help but, I wonder if 4mm injections are the best length for you?

Levemir can sting and with 28 units that’s going to be more likely than someone giving 5 units..

If the needle isn’t going in to the skin at the right depth, this can cause extra stinging. I don’t know what size you are or whether you are muscly and lean like me which needs 4mm injections or whether you could do with 6 mm ones to get the insulin dispersed better in the skin.

There is also injection sites to consider.. for me if I can feel it when it just enters my skin, I move the needle to another area. I have too much muscle in my stomach to inject there but I have the most muscle on legs and cheeks of bum. No discomfort in those areas and used them coming on for 40 years now...

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been following all the advice you have when it comes to injecting. Using different areas of my tummy and thighs too.

I have 4mm needles to accompany the Levemir pen. I haven’t had any difficulty prior to now with the length of the needles. I think the fact I’m tensing up when it’s time to do it hence making it harder.

I’ve order a TickleFlex today, so maybe that will help.

Reactions: kitedoc and porl69

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Levemir insulin now on 28u’s.

I'm thinking that is a lot of insulin, maybe your body is somehow signalling it's dislike of these big injections.

Therefore - and this might seem counterintuitive to someone struggling to inject - but try injecting more often!

By that I mean split the dose into morning and evening (or any 2 times of the day about 12 hours apart). They're maybe more manageable at 14 units apiece. And it actually means you get the bigger benefit of 24 hour basal insulin coverage - the problem with Levemir is that at once per day it only gives c16 hours or so coverage (not 24). Many of us split Levemir this way.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Draco,

Thanks for that advice. Didn’t think that would be an option. Everything to do with the insulin has been a real learning curve so far.

What I personally can’t understand is that I started off fine injecting, don’t know what’s changed in order for me now to be struggling.

I can’t help but feel a little childish, I bet not many people have this issue.

Reactions: kitedoc

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Draco,

Thanks for that advice. Didn’t think that would be an option. Everything to do with the insulin has been a real learning curve so far.

What I personally can’t understand is that I started off fine injecting, don’t know what’s changed in order for me now to be struggling.

I can’t help but feel a little childish , I bet not many people have this issue.

Don't feel childish @Libby3781 - you definitely aren't the only one to struggle with injections. Plus if you think about it, it's only natural for your brain to tell you not to stab yourself with a sharp object!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi Draco,

I can’t help but feel a little childish, I bet not many people have this issue.

Don't beat yourself up about it.....after 46 years of injecting I do get the odd day when I have to think before I stab myself. It's our brains reaction to NOT stick something sharp into yourself.
Try pinching a bit of skin too, I find it helps a bit

Reactions: miahara

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Received my TickleFlex today, so all being well from tonight I’ll be able to admister my insulin again.

Fingers crossed x

Attachments

• D66765AF-98DE-49F7-9C25-5231761CBA8D.jpeg
    D66765AF-98DE-49F7-9C25-5231761CBA8D.jpeg
    185.3 KB · Views: 450