Disability discounts???

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My take is that type 1 IS a disability albeit one that can occur spontaneously or at any given moment. A low DOES disable you if you've not been able to catch it and when you get a really low one, you are not in control of yourself. That is disabling by anyone's standards. It is all fine when you are bumbling along between 4 and 7 or whatever but who knows when that will suddenly change despite all your best efforts. Even when your diabetes is being good you are constantly worrying about is it dropping/shall I test/shall I eat/shall I go to the shops on my own/shall I mention it to my work colleagues. I don't mean to sound hysterical but to me, it most definitely interferes with my daily life and requires constant monitoring and action, that disables me. I think it is a pretty unique disability in that you never know when it will hit, you can be wandering around that zoo and fall headlong into the elephant enclosure.

Reactions: kevin2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a t2 I Don, t class myself as having a disability, no idea what being t1 is like. Am very ignorant about t1
Personally I would say whatever type of diabetes people have, it's not classed as a disability.

The thing is Ally is that everybody is different. For those on medication that can drop them if you haven't got it exactly right, staggering about, talking nonsense and falling to the floor puts you at risk of serious injury and is most certainly a disability. My Mum's diabetes was never under control and every single day she was never able to go about freely without thinking about it, for her it was VERY disabling. I'm guessing that is why it is also classed a s a disability under the Disability act.

Reactions: Dizzylish78

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys,

Bit of a controversial topic!

I was just wondering, considering diabetes is considered a disability under the Equality Act, can we get disability discounts ie cheaper entry to attractions? If so, how can you prove that?

I’m certainly not saying that living with diabetes is comparable to some of the things other people have to live with. I was just wondering how it works.

Also, how could you prove that someone is a carer? Again, it might not feel like that’s an appropriate term, but my mum has been told re my dad’s epilepsy that she counts as a carer as she is always on the look out for a seizure. She said she was told it works the same with diabetes. I know my partner is always watching out for hypos!

I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just a wondering (mainly so I can afford to visit the zoo more!)

Thanks so much.

Why don't you talk to the zoo and explain your position as a student and the money side, on a lot occasions places like and for your study reasons will give a special deal. They may even include you in other activities too.

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Bit of a controversial topic!

I was just wondering, considering diabetes is considered a disability under the Equality Act, can we get disability discounts ie cheaper entry to attractions? If so, how can you prove that?

I’m certainly not saying that living with diabetes is comparable to some of the things other people have to live with. I was just wondering how it works.

Also, how could you prove that someone is a carer? Again, it might not feel like that’s an appropriate term, but my mum has been told re my dad’s epilepsy that she counts as a carer as she is always on the look out for a seizure. She said she was told it works the same with diabetes. I know my partner is always watching out for hypos!

I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just a wondering (mainly so I can afford to visit the zoo more!)

Thanks so much.

From what I have read (prior to being diabetic myself actually!) I think being diabetic (type 1 or 2) is not classed as a disability, but some of the complications associated are classed as disabilities.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Have a look at this, it is really informative and an interesting read regarding employment.

https://www.thorntons-law.co.uk/knowledge/can-type-2-diabetes-be-a-disability
A very good article.

I'd give them an easier way to determine IF that type2 sufferer is dis-abled.
Can they still do the same they could when they were able.? And that it's diabetes which has changed or about to change that for them?

A gymnast who stops being able to compete.. are they now disabled?
Well they are for competing but doing their filing in an office fast than her colleagues due to her flexibility. No.

Depends on the worker once could do the job but no longer can because of diabetes. I feel is a disability.
Tired and thirsty are minor disadvantages in modern living but not enough to need adjustments but..... Hypoing a few times a day due to a bad insulin routine and testing to prevent more or Hypers until insulin use is more user friendly, then yes. A disadvantage.
Mind u one type2 friend was downgraded from supervisor to railwaymen due to falling asleep at work in a period of not being diagnosed. Once he was diagnosed and medicated he appealed their decision and he was promoted again.
No insulin therapy needed. Nor no hypos on his weak level of metformin.
In fact the union reminded the company shift work may have contributed to his diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not aware of any discounts due to diabetes other than if any diabetes websites discount any merchandise in their on-line shops.

Years ago a fellow diabetic who owned his own business decided to discount diabetics. On a whim.
Because he could.

I'm hoping to pay less in a restaurant for a meal after my op.
Why should I pay the same price for a whole plate of food when I'll be eating an egg size portion?
Toddler meals anyone. Ha ha

Reactions: Emuman20621
D

Deleted member 308541

I'm hoping to pay less in a restaurant for a meal after my op.
Why should I pay the same price for a whole plate of food when I'll be eating an egg size portion?
Toddler meals anyone. Ha ha
I remember a friend of mine ordering a child size meal and paying child prices when we ate out at a hotel several years ago, so I do not see any problems for you not getting the same deal.