Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Gemitch2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I am currently using an Animas Vibe pump with a separate funded Dexcom CGM. As Animas are stopping the support for UK I have been advised that I need to change to either an Omnipod or Medtronic 640 before the end of 2018.

I will be keeping my Dexcom ( as I have the receiver ).

Apart from the lack of tubes on the Omnipod are there any other advantages/disadvantages that people have come across?

Thanks in Advance
Graham

Reactions: kitedoc

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have only ever used the 640g and despite it being a cannula/tubing system, I have no complaints at all however cannot comment on this vs any other pump. You can use the enlite CGM with the 640g which enables insulin to be suspended below a preset threshold but haven't used this addition myself personally, although would if I could as it would be incredibly useful.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I am due to be pumping very soon. I have looked at both of these pumps and have decided to go for the 640G. Reading a lot of bad reports with the recent change over of suppliers on the Omnipod and apparently customer service is not the best (I am sure it will get better). And with pod failures being a slight issue at the moment as well. I totally understand, on social media, that we only ever read the negatives and not the positives about any product.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My friend went from vibe to Omnipod and hates it. The reasons are:
The Omnipod is not as accurate on dosing as the Vibe. This caused her major high blood sugar issues.
The pods fail a lot and are very loud when they do.
The pump forces you to change pod every 3 days. I change my set every 3 days but on occasion I leave it an extra day if I am feeling very ill or if I want to move set changes off a day when a special event is happening
If you end up using too much insulin you have to change pod early.
You can't set such a high temp basal as you can with the vibe.
If you forget the pdm you are stuffed!
The pods get knocked off.

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there , I have just moved over to the Medtronic 64G . I have been on the Animas vibe pump for 7 years . I loved that pump so easy to use but unfortunately as you have said there not being supplied in the U.K. The Medtronic is a good pump with loads of fantastic features, I would highly recommend it very easy to use and there supply team are very helpful . All the best with what ever you choose

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Isn’t there any other choices?

fmacd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn’t there any other choices?
How I wish there were other choices... It beggars belief how long insulin pumps have been on the go and how bulky and out of date they are. Carting around the Omnipod is a bit like a Dom Jolly sketch with the massive mobile phone. When you think of a smartphone with oodles of technology packed into a slim casing, you'd think someone - Tim Cook of Apple? He's Type 1 - would have the nous to improve pumps beyond their current woeful state. The Omnipod - love it or detest it - at least has no tubing but it has the most annoying and unnecessary feature in the universe - particularly for when you're hypo - in that you have to confirm you are the person named on it before you can do anything. What good is that? Anyone could press Confirm and you waste any number of blood testing sticks by forgetting and adding blood before you've confirmed. Sorry, rant over and not the place to do it, but frustration takes over sometimes. Unless there's a good reason to change to a pump now, wait a bit and hope something better does come along soon.

tfish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My friend went from vibe to Omnipod and hates it. The reasons are:
The Omnipod is not as accurate on dosing as the Vibe. This caused her major high blood sugar issues.
The pods fail a lot and are very loud when they do.
The pump forces you to change pod every 3 days. I change my set every 3 days but on occasion I leave it an extra day if I am feeling very ill or if I want to move set changes off a day when a special event is happening
If you end up using too much insulin you have to change pod early.
You can't set such a high temp basal as you can with the vibe.
If you forget the pdm you are stuffed!
The pods get knocked off.

tfish

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do like the Omnipod very much particularly as it is tubeless, however I did go away for a weekend and forgot to take my PDM with me which of course ruined the weekend

Tonto73

I work in the medical devices industry ( not for Medtronic). I’d highly recommend the 640G or the Soon to come 670 with more advanced / automated insulin adjustment ( need the Enlite sensor though to benefit).

Other businesses have pulled out of the pump market because they couldn’t compete with Medtronic ( formerly Minimed ).

The OmniPod is also OK but as noted they can get knocked off, and you have to carry the controller separately. Also you wear a big lumpy thing whereas the Medtronic looks more like your living in the 90’s with a “beeper”.

Talk with your DNS and look at YouTube / company sites and decide what will be best for you.

Most important is that you get your Basal Dose set right and your insulin sensitivity for bolus by time of day. It can be hard work for the first few weeks but once you have any pump set up correctly it’s a very positive milestone.

As a little bit of history I tried a Nordisk infuser Pump in the 1980’s and the basal rate was changes with a screwdriver ;-).

Reactions: porl69 and gemma_T1

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just been to clinic to look at the Omnipod and the 640g. The Omnipod screen is pretty poor and it really annoyed me you can't just bolus - you have to bypass BG and carb input screens. My DSN also confirmed the dosing is the least accurate pump (studies have shown only 70% accurate) and that's really bad in my eyes. I trialed a pod which hurt when it fired the cannula in but not too much. I'm finding the pod bulky and much more annoying than I ever found a tube. I don't wear my pods on my arms which I imagine is the prime pod place. The 640g was slightly bigger than my vibe but not too much so and fits on the front of my bra. The clip is quite plastic and no way as strong as the vibe. The screen is superb and I generally really liked this pump. Sadly it now only comes in black though. I will most likely go with the 640g as if one part goes wrong I don't have to change everything and I find the whole system much more flexible than the Omnipod. I also like the new Advance infusion set.

Reactions: porl69

Ratty_Kat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading this has been helpful as I am just starting insulin pump therapy after being on MDI for 23 years. I went for the Medtronic 640G and was wondering if I made the right choice. Glad I didn't go for the omnipod now!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A friend of mine has just switched from Omnipod to Medtronic after struggling to maintain good balance on the pod. She's described it as night and day and much prefers the insulin delivery of the Medtronic.

Reactions: MushyPeaBrain

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am due to be pumping very soon. I have looked at both of these pumps and have decided to go for the 640G. Reading a lot of bad reports with the recent change over of suppliers on the Omnipod and apparently customer service is not the best (I am sure it will get better). And with pod failures being a slight issue at the moment as well. I totally understand, on social media, that we only ever read the negatives and not the positives about any product.
I have used Omnipod for approx 3 years now, Change over re supplies now seems fine. Needs time to set Basel levels over 24 hr period. But no regrets easy to stop Basel if needed due to Hypo and to adjust Basel levels due to planned exercise. Can wear for 3 days not advisable to leave pumps on too long due to infusion site damage. Not possible to read PDM in hot weather/ bright sunlight need to find shad. Have worn on holidays abroad high temperatures and swimming in sea occasionally results in pump failure. However ensure Novopen is carried and insulin can be given for adjustment and bolused as advised by PDM. Had diabetes since 4 years of age and have not regretted change.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have used Omnipod for approx 3 years now, Change over re supplies now seems fine. Needs time to set Basel levels over 24 hr period. But no regrets easy to stop Basel if needed due to Hypo and to adjust Basel levels due to planned exercise. Can wear for 3 days not advisable to leave pumps on too long due to infusion site damage. Not possible to read PDM in hot weather/ bright sunlight need to find shad. Have worn on holidays abroad high temperatures and swimming in sea occasionally results in pump failure. However ensure Novopen is carried and insulin can be given for adjustment and bolused as advised by PDM. Had diabetes since 4 years of age and have not regretted change.
Not sure if you know, but if you hold down the ? button on the pdm the screen becomes much, much brighter. I can read mine in bright sunlight when I do that.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[QUOTE="Heathero, post: 1861364, member: 164912"
Have just tried this but unfortunately makes no difference just gives info re status / bolused etc? Do you have one of the upgraded models had mine replaced but by Omnipod and same model?

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am on Animas, it's really good. But one thing I read somewhere about Medtronic is you can set half ratios on carb ratio.
Say you would like 10.5 carbs to 1 unit. So I read it will accept 21 to2 . Don't know as don't have one...correct me if I am wrong.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
[QUOTE="Heathero, post: 1861364, member: 164912"
Have just tried this but unfortunately makes no difference just gives info re status / bolused etc? Do you have one of the upgraded models had mine replaced but by Omnipod and same model?
How odd, the PDM hasn’t been upgraded for years. Once I've confirmed my name and am at the status screen, I just hold down the ‘?’ for a few seconds and the screen can be seen in bright sun. It did take 4 years to find this out from a US website though!

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How odd, the PDM hasn’t been upgraded for years. Once I've confirmed my name and am at the status screen, I just hold down the ‘?’ for a few seconds and the screen can be seen in bright sun. It did take 4 years to find this out from a US website though!
Well thanks for instructions it does work. Will try when next abroad, thanks again. Like u taken me years to find this out!