Won't Be Doing That Again!!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was my birthday recently and someone who doesn't know me well baked me a cake. I had a piece on the day and froze the rest to give to friends and neighbours. Yesterday I took some out of the freezer to make room for actual food and of course it called my name. This is how I got myself into this predicament in the first place!

So I decided to see how it would affect me, and ate a fairly large chunk (as I said, how I got here...)

Before I ate it, my BG was 5.9. After 30 minutes it was at 9.1, after an hour, 8.9, after ninety minutes, 11.3 (Dear God). After two hours is was 8.6 and two hours forty-five minutes after I'd had the first mouthful I was back to the high 5s.

Learned my lesson, but it was an interesting experiment. I've been low carbing since diagnosis about four years ago, and don't usually lapse, and this has reinforced my resolve!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a bit of a bummer, but probably some "last meal effect" skewed the results a bit. After eating low carb for a whikle, the pancreas is used to having to produce much lower levels of insulin, and giving it a sudden burst of cake to deal with gave it a bit of a shock so it was slow to respond - but it did respond after less than 3 hours, so it could have been much worse. :)

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, pre diabetes has given me the resolve and discipline to eliminate sugar and eat much more healthily - if I'd found I could tolerate cake it would have been a pretty slippery slope to family packs of cheesy puffs via Cornish Pasties and bread for three meals a day, so it's just as well :)

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was my birthday recently and someone who doesn't know me well baked me a cake. I had a piece on the day and froze the rest to give to friends and neighbours. Yesterday I took some out of the freezer to make room for actual food and of course it called my name. This is how I got myself into this predicament in the first place!

So I decided to see how it would affect me, and ate a fairly large chunk (as I said, how I got here...)

Before I ate it, my BG was 5.9. After 30 minutes it was at 9.1, after an hour, 8.9, after ninety minutes, 11.3 (Dear God). After two hours is was 8.6 and two hours forty-five minutes after I'd had the first mouthful I was back to the high 5s.

Learned my lesson, but it was an interesting experiment. I've been low carbing since diagnosis about four years ago, and don't usually lapse, and this has reinforced my resolve!

Most type 1s see numbers like that and worse all the time, intentional or not. I'm all for low-carb and good numbers, but if that's the worst that happened to you I say you should eat cake on your birthday!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most type 1s see numbers like that and worse all the time, intentional or not. I'm all for low-carb and good numbers, but if that's the worst that happened to you I say you should eat cake on your birthday!
Everyone has their own priorities. Seeing a low bg on my birthday would give me far more pleasure than any amount of cake.

Reactions: Prem51 and Antje77

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did have it on my birthday, and probably will again - it's just watching that my birthday doesn't begin to last all month!!

Reactions: Prem51 and Diakat

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going to challenge myself next time I feel a bit unloved by checking bg, eating appt of Walkers cheese n onion crisps (yum) and checking bg 2 hours later. I live in hope...

Reactions: Prem51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to challenge myself next time I feel a bit unloved by checking bg, eating appt of Walkers cheese n onion crisps (yum) and checking bg 2 hours later. I live in hope...
For me, they need checking about 6 hours later...

Reactions: Alexandra100

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope the cake was just perfect. If you skew up your bg, it had better be worth it!

Reactions: Prem51