Mornings High, Rest Of Day Good

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just something I'm noticing when taking levels and not sure what to make of it.

Pretty well every morning a little bit on the high side for my liking - Fasting around 6.0 - 6.5, and if I eat/drink anything, goes up quickly. If I eat "good" carby foods (like soaked raw oatmeal as a test), I will spike to around 8.0 (this is "testing", I don't eat carby foods now in general).

In comparison, by noon, levels are usually low 5s, and as the day goes on, I can eat more and more, and even carby foods, and blood glucose levels barely move at all. I can eat dinner and include a small potato or bit of pasta for example...and level might go from 5.5 to only 6.1.

Any thoughts? Just don't understand why I am so less sensitive to rising levels later in the day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning highs are normally caused by insulin resistance. Apparently insulin resistance improves as the day progresses. I don't have any links about this. Under normal circumstances, our lowest reading of the day should be the one before evening meal, unless we have been snacking during the afternoon. It is quite normal for us to see better readings later in the day.

Your post meal levels after some potato or pasta could well have peaked a lot earlier than the 2 hour mark. Do you test before 2 hours at all?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Morning highs are normally caused by insulin resistance. Apparently insulin resistance improves as the day progresses. I don't have any links about this. Under normal circumstances, our lowest reading of the day should be the one before evening meal, unless we have been snacking during the afternoon. It is quite normal for us to see better readings later in the day.

Your post meal levels after some potato or pasta could well have peaked a lot earlier than the 2 hour mark. Do you test before 2 hours at all?

Please could you explain Bluetit the last paragraph. Are you saying one should test before the 2 hour period. What exactly are we looking for in the post meal reading, I had thought it was a spike or hopefully a lack of a spike?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please could you explain Bluetit the last paragraph. Are you saying one should test before the 2 hour period. What exactly are we looking for in the post meal reading, I had thought it was a spike or hopefully a lack of a spike?

The 2 hour mark is just a guideline. When we peak will vary between people according to their digestive system and how well their insulin is working, and also very much depends on the contents of the meal. Foods that release glucose quickly are likely to peak very much sooner. A peak could be anywhere from half an hour to up to 4 hours after eating. There could even be two peaks! This is why some people test at an hour, and half hourly after that when trying out new foods. There is nothing easy in this game.

Reactions: gardengnome42

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, we are more insulin resistant in the morning than at any other time of the day which is why a high fat high protein meal first thing is such a good idea, the fewer the carbs the lower the insulin response and with the added benefit of satiety that will see us through far longer than a higher carb meal would.
Bacon and eggs, you just can't go wrong.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Reminds of the John Denver song "RockyMountain High" !!

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
The 2 hour mark is just a guideline. When we peak will vary between people according to their digestive system and how well their insulin is working, and also very much depends on the contents of the meal. Foods that release glucose quickly are likely to peak very much sooner. A peak could be anywhere from half an hour to up to 4 hours after eating. There could even be two peaks! This is why some people test at an hour, and half hourly after that when trying out new foods. There is nothing easy in this game.

Thanks for your reply. Certainly the last sentence is true!

Reactions: Bluetit1802