Advice Needed Tresiba .

Amber03

hello I have forever been on lantus I’m changing onto tresiba tomorrow I am on a split dose on lantus 30 in the morning and 30 at night , I’m type 1 insulin resistant . So my dsn has said to do 52 units in the morning as a starting of guide and to go from there which I said okay too . Now my dsn has told me it’s still 52 units going on not 104 , as I’m going onto the double strength tresiba 200 . I’ve collected from the chemist and they are worried I’ve been prescribed this and they have said that every 1 unit equals to 2 .
So my dsn just said that instead of 52 units going in I will have half the volume go in but the same dose . But the chemist have said different so who I do believe do I do the 52 units or do I half it ?

Any advice would be really appreciated thank you.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think both the DSN and the chemist are saying the same thing, just in different ways.

If you're using a pen or syringe calibrated for 100u/ml, then to get 52u from double strength 200u/ml you need to inject what is marked as 26u.

What are you injecting with?

Reactions: Jayden2407

Amber03

I think both the DSN and the chemist are saying the same thing, just in different ways.

If you're using a pen or syringe calibrated for 100u/ml, then to get 52u from double strength 200u/ml you need to inject what is marked as 26u.

What are you injecting with?

I’m injecting with the pen , the dsn has told me as I was on a total of 60 units lantus , to inject 52 of tresiba but as it’s doubled strength I feel that is to much it’s just confusing me .
The dsn has said its the volume of insulin that goes in is less so it’s better for the skin to absorb so I have the same amount of insulin just in a smaller volume and the chemist is saying no 52 will give you double which I thought . So to be fair there just confused me and I’m not to sure what to inject tomorrow morning .

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What pen is it? Is it the same pen as before, or is it a new pen calibrated for 200u insulin? Is it a disposable?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A unit is a unit. Click to 52 on your pen, and you’ll get 52 units, there just won’t be so much physical liquid going in. Because it’s a relatively large dose, the amount of fluid from regular Tresiba could cause some absorption issues, so they’ve given you more concentrated stuff.

Assuming you’re using a prefilled pen, I don’t think they do u200 or u500 in cartridges to save confusion.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(googles)

Is it a"Tresiba® FlexTouch® U‑200" pen? If so, dial up 52u on the pen - that'll give you 52u of insulin.

The exact model of pen is quite important here - if it's not one of those, do not do that :)

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(googles)

Is it a"Tresiba FlexTouch U‑200" pen? If so, dial up 52u on the pen - that'll give you 52u of insulin.

The exact model of pen is quite important here - if it's not one of those, do not do that :)
Well said

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the treseba 200 doses in 2 unit increments the 100 doses in 1 unit increments. I swapped to the 100 as i needed 23 u , not 24u as delivered by the 200 pen . If you need 52 you will get 52 u of insulin whichever pen..if you need an odd number youll use treseba 100 ..god i do ramble on !

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tresiba 200u is only available in a flextouch pen to avoid this confusion. The dosing dial gives you the actual units.