1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Advice Needed Tresiba .

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Amber03, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Amber03

Amber03 · Member

hello I have forever been on lantus I’m changing onto tresiba tomorrow I am on a split dose on lantus 30 in the morning and 30 at night , I’m type 1 insulin resistant . So my dsn has said to do 52 units in the morning as a starting of guide and to go from there which I said okay too . Now my dsn has told me it’s still 52 units going on not 104 , as I’m going onto the double strength tresiba 200 . I’ve collected from the chemist and they are worried I’ve been prescribed this and they have said that every 1 unit equals to 2 .
    So my dsn just said that instead of 52 units going in I will have half the volume go in but the same dose . But the chemist have said different so who I do believe do I do the 52 units or do I half it ?

Any advice would be really appreciated thank you.

2. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think both the DSN and the chemist are saying the same thing, just in different ways.

If you're using a pen or syringe calibrated for 100u/ml, then to get 52u from double strength 200u/ml you need to inject what is marked as 26u.

What are you injecting with?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Amber03

Amber03 · Member

I’m injecting with the pen , the dsn has told me as I was on a total of 60 units lantus , to inject 52 of tresiba but as it’s doubled strength I feel that is to much it’s just confusing me .
    The dsn has said its the volume of insulin that goes in is less so it’s better for the skin to absorb so I have the same amount of insulin just in a smaller volume and the chemist is saying no 52 will give you double which I thought . So to be fair there just confused me and I’m not to sure what to inject tomorrow morning .

4. evilclive

What pen is it? Is it the same pen as before, or is it a new pen calibrated for 200u insulin? Is it a disposable?

5. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A unit is a unit. Click to 52 on your pen, and you’ll get 52 units, there just won’t be so much physical liquid going in. Because it’s a relatively large dose, the amount of fluid from regular Tresiba could cause some absorption issues, so they’ve given you more concentrated stuff.

Assuming you’re using a prefilled pen, I don’t think they do u200 or u500 in cartridges to save confusion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. evilclive

(googles)

Is it a"Tresiba® FlexTouch® U‑200" pen? If so, dial up 52u on the pen - that'll give you 52u of insulin.

The exact model of pen is quite important here - if it's not one of those, do not do that :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. alphabeta

alphabeta Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well said

8. annliggins

annliggins Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the treseba 200 doses in 2 unit increments the 100 doses in 1 unit increments. I swapped to the 100 as i needed 23 u , not 24u as delivered by the 200 pen . If you need 52 you will get 52 u of insulin whichever pen..if you need an odd number youll use treseba 100 ..god i do ramble on !

9. steve_p6

steve_p6 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Tresiba 200u is only available in a flextouch pen to avoid this confusion. The dosing dial gives you the actual units.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook