Scared... First Hypo Since Diagnosed Six Years Ago.

spacebod69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I just hit 4.1 sugar level and suddenly felt absolutely awful. It was literally within a minute. i started shaking and became blurry and I felt I was going to pass out. I couldn't think. I came over very hot and sweating madly and it hit me like a brick wall. I haven't had this happen since I was diagnosed about six years ago and it's now about half an hour in. I seem to be improving but this more than scared me. I also went straight to some cakes, as couldn't remember how to treat a hypo as it hasn't happened in so long. I am now coming to, but am now Frozen and sleepy. I think that due to being under a lot of stress and being very poorly for the last week and in bed, I had breakfast at about 5am and then couldn't recall whether I had had breakfast, so must have had it again and repeated my morning insulin. I don't actually remember this though, so thought I was safe. My consultant wanted me to start adjusting my insulin as necessary as I struggle with numbers due to disability related continuous infections. I've been in bed for two weeks due to horrendous irritable bowel and Fybromalgia fatigue like I've never experienced before; it has floored me. Anyhow... I think I now need to write down exactly how much insulin I take and how often, to avoid this being repeated. It has scared me though as I felt to ill about half hour ago. I felt unable to think about treating it correctly and only able to grab my fairy cakes and eat about four. I have just tested again and I'm up from 4.1 to 6.7... I scoffed them so am surprised it hasn't pushed me too high. I hope it was okay to post this here... not used the forums before. I am absolutely exhausted since this just happened but haven't slept for two days. Thank you for listening. :confused:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I just hit 4.1 sugar level and suddenly felt absolutely awful. It was literally within a minute. i started shaking and became blurry and I felt I was going to pass out. I couldn't think. I came over very hot and sweating madly and it hit me like a brick wall. I haven't had this happen since I was diagnosed about six years ago and it's now about half an hour in. I seem to be improving but this more than scared me. I also went straight to some cakes, as couldn't remember how to treat a hypo as it hasn't happened in so long. I am now coming to, but am now Frozen and sleepy. I think that due to being under a lot of stress and being very poorly for the last week and in bed, I had breakfast at about 5am and then couldn't recall whether I had had breakfast, so must have had it again and repeated my morning insulin. I don't actually remember this though, so thought I was safe. My consultant wanted me to start adjusting my insulin as necessary as I struggle with numbers due to disability related continuous infections. I've been in bed for two weeks due to horrendous irritable bowel and Fybromalgia fatigue like I've never experienced before; it has floored me. Anyhow... I think I now need to write down exactly how much insulin I take and how often, to avoid this being repeated. It has scared me though as I felt to ill about half hour ago. I felt unable to think about treating it correctly and only able to grab my fairy cakes and eat about four. I have just tested again and I'm up from 4.1 to 6.7... I scoffed them so am surprised it hasn't pushed me too high. I hope it was okay to post this here... not used the forums before. I am absolutely exhausted since this just happened but haven't slept for two days. Thank you for listening. :confused:

Oh dear. That all sounds utterly horrid. I don't use insulin, so can't comment on your strategy, but I have heard others mention insulin pens with a timer on it, telling you when you last injected. I wonder if that could help you out?

I couldn't even guess at the pen name, but I'm sure if you posted a thread asking about it people would be happy to help out.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hello, I hope you are feeling better. The insulin pen that records when you last injected and how much is called Novopen Echo. You can also inject in half unit. I really like it. Without this I wouldn't be able to remember if I've done my injection or not...

https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...eedles-and-injection-support/NovoPenEcho.html

spacebod69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys. It took me ages to locate my post... But here I am and thankyou for suggesting the different Nov open. I will ask my gp about the possibility of it being prescribed. :)