1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Scared... First Hypo Since Diagnosed Six Years Ago.

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by spacebod69, Sep 4, 2018.

1. spacebod69

spacebod69 Type 2 · Member

Hi

I just hit 4.1 sugar level and suddenly felt absolutely awful. It was literally within a minute. i started shaking and became blurry and I felt I was going to pass out. I couldn't think. I came over very hot and sweating madly and it hit me like a brick wall. I haven't had this happen since I was diagnosed about six years ago and it's now about half an hour in. I seem to be improving but this more than scared me. I also went straight to some cakes, as couldn't remember how to treat a hypo as it hasn't happened in so long. I am now coming to, but am now Frozen and sleepy. I think that due to being under a lot of stress and being very poorly for the last week and in bed, I had breakfast at about 5am and then couldn't recall whether I had had breakfast, so must have had it again and repeated my morning insulin. I don't actually remember this though, so thought I was safe. My consultant wanted me to start adjusting my insulin as necessary as I struggle with numbers due to disability related continuous infections. I've been in bed for two weeks due to horrendous irritable bowel and Fybromalgia fatigue like I've never experienced before; it has floored me. Anyhow... I think I now need to write down exactly how much insulin I take and how often, to avoid this being repeated. It has scared me though as I felt to ill about half hour ago. I felt unable to think about treating it correctly and only able to grab my fairy cakes and eat about four. I have just tested again and I'm up from 4.1 to 6.7... I scoffed them so am surprised it hasn't pushed me too high. I hope it was okay to post this here... not used the forums before. I am absolutely exhausted since this just happened but haven't slept for two days. Thank you for listening. :confused:

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Oh dear. That all sounds utterly horrid. I don't use insulin, so can't comment on your strategy, but I have heard others mention insulin pens with a timer on it, telling you when you last injected. I wonder if that could help you out?

I couldn't even guess at the pen name, but I'm sure if you posted a thread asking about it people would be happy to help out.

3. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I hope you are feeling better. The insulin pen that records when you last injected and how much is called Novopen Echo. You can also inject in half unit. I really like it. Without this I wouldn't be able to remember if I've done my injection or not...

https://www.novonordisk.com/patient...eedles-and-injection-support/NovoPenEcho.html

4. spacebod69

spacebod69 Type 2 · Member

Hi guys. It took me ages to locate my post... But here I am and thankyou for suggesting the different Nov open. I will ask my gp about the possibility of it being prescribed. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook