Tiny Little Vent

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every time I think I've got this T2 thing down, something throws a wrench in. I'm doing keto and IF, hover between 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day... And on Monday my fasting bs was 9.4. Considering the amount of pain I was in I figured it was an infection and went to the GP; diverticulitis. Wonderful. So I fasted extra to give my intestine some r&r, and wahey, suddenly I'm 3.6 just before dinnertime. And since 2 days I seem to have developed a bladder- or urinary tract infection as well. Dropping sample off at the doc's today. Fasting bs was 6.2 just now, normally it's 5-something-or-other.

My finger finally got back to its normal, non-calloused self. Now it's back to being rough and a little red. I'm okay with my diabetes most days, we've gotten friendly and I know what's going on most of the time. Just hate that it's all awry now, bouncing all over the place. Feels a little like a betrayal, you know? Worked hard to stay in the 4-5-(6) range, and now this. Urgh.

/end of vent.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Every time I think I've got this T2 thing down, something throws a wrench in. I'm doing keto and IF, hover between 10 to 20 grams of carbs a day... And on Monday my fasting bs was 9.4. Considering the amount of pain I was in I figured it was an infection and went to the GP; diverticulitis. Wonderful. So I fasted extra to give my intestine some r&r, and wahey, suddenly I'm 3.6 just before dinnertime. And since 2 days I seem to have developed a bladder- or urinary tract infection as well. Dropping sample off at the doc's today. Fasting bs was 6.2 just now, normally it's 5-something-or-other.

My finger finally got back to its normal, non-calloused self. Now it's back to being rough and a little red. I'm okay with my diabetes most days, we've gotten friendly and I know what's going on most of the time. Just hate that it's all awry now, bouncing all over the place. Feels a little like a betrayal, you know? Worked hard to stay in the 4-5-(6) range, and now this. Urgh.

/end of vent.
Yep, infection stresses us. I hope you recover quickly and that there is advice you can follow to try to minimise the diverticulitis !!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, infection stresses us. I hope you recover quickly and that there is advice you can follow to try to minimise the diverticulitis !!
Thanks! So far I'm just fasting more than usual, took an NSAID to calm down the intestine and bladder some. Drinking loads of ginger tea. Netflix is my friend, helps to keep me in one place and rest. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry you have to endure this

you might try some kefir while you are going through this
Thank you. Might pick some up tonight, according to my supermarket's website they should have it in stock.

M

Moggely

Awwv @JoKalsbeek I'm sorry your going thorough that, my brother-in-law has that and still eats all the wrong things.:banghead: and it is disappointing when you have worked so hard to get your levels so good. It's a constant struggle i am finding. Hope you get better soon.:)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Awwv @JoKalsbeek I'm sorry your going thorough that, my brother-in-law has that and still eats all the wrong things.:banghead: and it is disappointing when you have worked so hard to get your levels so good. It's a constant struggle i am finding. Hope you get better soon.:)
Thanks! I know a lot of people like your b-i-l... And I just don't get it. If something has a negative effect on you, it's just not worth it. Onwards & upwards.... (I hope).

kirstyboo79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully they've already advised you, but it's recommended that you follow a soft GI diet for diverticulitis, e.g. jacket potato without the skin, tinned fruit rather than fresh, white bread instead of brown. It goes against the grain a little but is only temporary. My mum was hospitalised with it and needed a bowel resection eventually, so I know it can be hard. I hope you're over the worst soon.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully they've already advised you, but it's recommended that you follow a soft GI diet for diverticulitis, e.g. jacket potato without the skin, tinned fruit rather than fresh, white bread instead of brown. It goes against the grain a little but is only temporary. My mum was hospitalised with it and needed a bowel resection eventually, so I know it can be hard. I hope you're over the worst soon.
Thank you. I think the worst may be behind me. I hope so anyway. I fasted a whole lot and just had a mostly liquid diet. That seems to have eased things some. But thanks for the advice, as I gather this'll probably be a recurring issue! (The replacement doc made no suggestions other than soup, so this may well come in handy!)

kirstyboo79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not surprised, they had my mum on a soft diet in hospital (e.g. soups and drinks and mash) until I pointed out the doctors had said it should be soft GI (soft on your GI system, i.e. low fibre)! If it flares up again, have a peek online to get a clearer idea of what to eat. I'm pleased to hear you're doing better now!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

/end of vent.
Hugs and keep up the fluids. I think if diabetes were a pet, it would be a moggie not a dog; mainly predictable but occasionally does something annoying to keep you on your toes (dead bird, sicking up behind the sofa, raiding the food bin etc. etc.)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs and keep up the fluids. I think if diabetes were a pet, it would be a moggie not a dog; mainly predictable but occasionally does something annoying to keep you on your toes (dead bird, sicking up behind the sofa, raiding the food bin etc. etc.)
Figures. I love cats deeply, but I could have done without a condition that can act like one, haha! Thank you. For the wellwishes and the smile.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get better soon Jo....hope when you are feeling better you can find a way to manage the diverticulitis

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Get better soon Jo....hope when you are feeling better you can find a way to manage the diverticulitis
Thank you. Well, I'm working on it. It's not as bad as it was, thankfully. Now to get back to good and try to keep it that way!

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Thank you. Might pick some up tonight, according to my supermarket's website they should have it in stock.
my husband has diverticulitis and afterresearch takes oregano oil and acidiphilus. Pain gone and few flare ups

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband has diverticulitis and afterresearch takes oregano oil and acidiphilus. Pain gone and few flare ups

Thank you! I'm probably going to be near a Holland & Barrett's this weekend anyway, I'll be sure to stop in with this little shoppinglist.