Type 2 Diabetic - Advice Please.

DavidSilvaOlè

I was diagnosed Type2 in August 2018.

My HBA 1c was 59 the first time and 58 the second time when my bloods were taken earlier in May and June. I have another test in November 2018.

My eye test has come back perfect and my feet are due to be examined in October.

I was given a Glucomen Areo blood testing kit by my GP in August and have been using it up-to 6 times a day before and 2 hours after meals with a mix of readings.

I have the app MySugr on my iPhone and have the setting at 5-9 for normal and 10 for hyper and below 5 for hypo. They were set like this when I downloaded the app.

My GP who has been really supportive has said that I should manage through my diet. I have always eaten okay, have a low cholesterol and am trying my best and enjoying making the modifications to my nutrition and eating well.
I always take a reading first thing when I wake up before eating and for the last 2 days have taken my blood tests 4 times per day before meals and about every 4 hours after where I can.

There are times when I feel anxious in general, overthink stuff and can feel tearful when I have no reason to be upset. Is this normal..?

The lowest reading I’ve had was 6.9 on the first of September.

I’ve attached a picture from the last 2 days.

I would welcome any feedback and advice. Thanks for taking the time to read this post

Attachments

• IMG_1926.jpg
    IMG_1926.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 598

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You can alter the settings on the sugar app if you wish. Normal is 4 to 7 or 8. 9 is a bit high. Hypo is under 4 normally. I think those default settings you are using are for insulin users, not diet only people or those on milder medications.

As said above, your numbers indicate you are eating a lot of carbohydrates and possibly fruit/juices/milk.

If you give us a typical day's menu we may spot things to help you. I wish I had a pound for every newcomer that thinks they "eat well" when in fact they may not be doing this at all. There is a big difference between what is good for the general population and what is good for Type 2's.

DavidSilvaOlè

You can alter the settings on the sugar app if you wish. Normal is 4 to 7 or 8. 9 is a bit high. Hypo is under 4 normally. I think those default settings you are using are for insulin users, not diet only people or those on milder medications.

As said above, your numbers indicate you are eating a lot of carbohydrates and possibly fruit/juices/milk.

If you give us a typical day's menu we may spot things to help you. I wish I had a pound for every newcomer that thinks they "eat well" when in fact they may not be doing this at all. There is a big difference between what is good for the general population and what is good for Type 2's.

I’ve not eaten any fruit.

Yesterday I ate tomatoes, avocado and bacon for breakfast. I ate a chicken caeser salad for lunch and had bacon, chicken, avocado and tomatoes again in the evening.

I’ve pretty much eaten the same again today with the exception of a Mediterranean salad for lunch.

I’ve had a chicken breast and some tomatoes for tea just after my last blood test. I’ve attached the picture of my bloods so far today.

My readings are high in the morning. I had 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar in water last night before bed. I saw a video on YouTube saying it was good along with cinnamon.

What should I eat before bed to help with my BG reading in the morning ?

If anyone has any sample menu plans for a week or 2 I would be very grateful.

Thank you everyone for reading and your comments

Reactions: Roulis

DavidSilvaOlè

I meant to add this picture to my last post. These are today’s readings. 6.4 is the lowest reading I’ve had since I started testing.
IMG_1928.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DavidSilvaOlè

The dietdoctor website has several 2 week meal plans - take a look, hopefully there’ll be one that suits you.

Reactions: Roulis

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use MySugr, it’s a really friendly yet powerful app. You’ll get a lot more from it if you use more of its features, like using the tags, adding food descriptions, carb counts etc. The search tool means you can go through your records by food name or type, and see how it affects you. For example, I had smoked mackerel for dinner tonight, but couldn’t remember if I needed to take insulin for it or not (I’m type one) - so I just searched “mackerel” and the three other times I’d had some previously came up, and I could see what I’d taken and the effect of that meal on my BG. You can tag things by before and after meals, activity such as sport, work, or moods like tired and stressed. I can’t remember which of thee features are from the paid for as opposed to the free version, though - I’ve been using it so long that I bought a lifetime subscription on offer when it was first launched.

CA2514C0-BAC9-49D7-AD35-181564E782FC.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been tested for type1? If this is what you've eaten usually you have been very low carb. Combined with the recent diagnosis it might be sensible to look into this.
Yesterday I ate tomatoes, avocado and bacon for breakfast. I ate a chicken caeser salad for lunch and had bacon, chicken, avocado and tomatoes again in the evening.

I’ve pretty much eaten the same again today with the exception of a Mediterranean salad for lunch.

I’ve had a chicken breast and some tomatoes for tea just after my last blood test. I’ve attached the picture of my bloods so far today.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have to remember that your bs crept up over time and it may take more than a month for your levels to start dropping, just because you're eating great now it doesn't mean that your levels are going into the normal range straight away. Give it time and keep testing and you should start to see some gradual improvements.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It might also be quantity is too large. I read somewhere that you should only eat half an avocado at a meal. I also have trouble with tomatoes, if they are very sweet, I get a rise.

DavidSilvaOlè

You have to remember that your bs crept up over time and it may take more than a month for your levels to start dropping, just because you're eating great now it doesn't mean that your levels are going into the normal range straight away. Give it time and keep testing and you should start to see some gradual improvements.

Thank you for your advice

DavidSilvaOlè

Have you been tested for type1? If this is what you've eaten usually you have been very low carb. Combined with the recent diagnosis it might be sensible to look into this.

I was hoping that my GP would know if I was type 1 with the tests that they have done with my type 2 diagnosis and my hba1c results. I’m back at the Dr’s at the end of September. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated

Reactions: Chronicle_Cat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was hoping that my GP would know if I was type 1 with the tests that they have done with my type 2 diagnosis and my hba1c results. I’m back at the Dr’s at the end of September. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated
Hba1c doesn't give any information about type. Most people over 35 or 40 or so are automatically assumed to be type2. Most of them are, but some of them aren't. With a C-peptide test they can see how much insulin you produce (I believe you have to eat carbs before this test, but I'm not sure) and an antibodies test may reveal if your immune system is attacking your insulin producing cells. Anti-GAD seems to be the most common, but there are others.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hate to tell you but tomatoes and avocado are fruits, and both fairly high carb. A lot of people, me included, get a high BG spike from them both.

Also with your salads, what exactly are you putting into them, what dressing etc.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
Hate to tell you but tomatoes and avocado are fruits, and both fairly high carb. A lot of people, me included, get a high BG spike from them both.

Also with your salads, what exactly are you putting into them, what dressing etc.
I agree with the Tomatoes. They spike me terribly. Lots of sugar in em!

I must be one of the few people in the UK who can't abide avocado !

DavidSilvaOlè

I’m not really using dressing apart from really light mayo. I have been putting most salad ingredients into my salads. Is there anything that I should avoid ? I think I will pass up on the tomatoes And avocados now from what you’ve said.

Any weekly food plans would be really appreciated

Thank you

DavidSilvaOlè

Hba1c doesn't give any information about type. Most people over 35 or 40 or so are automatically assumed to be type2. Most of them are, but some of them aren't. With a C-peptide test they can see how much insulin you produce (I believe you have to eat carbs before this test, but I'm not sure) and an antibodies test may reveal if your immune system is attacking your insulin producing cells. Anti-GAD seems to be the most common, but there are others.

I am back at the Dr’s on the 30th September. I will request this test and ask them to see if I’m Type 1.

Thank you for your advice

Reactions: Antje77

Tabzmcfc

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type 2 when I was mid 40’s and then the doc sent me for GAD test and c peptide and the results showed I was LADA.