Paradox Of Glucose Reading And Symptoms

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Is it possible to have elevated glucose meter numbers and yet hyperglycemia?

I seem to have both.

Erin

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sorry, I'm confused. Do you mean that you have the symptoms of hypoglycaemia but your meter is showing normal or high bg levels?

Reactions: SimonCrox

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry, I'm confused. Do you mean that you have the symptoms of hypoglycaemia but your meter is showing normal or high bg levels?

Dear Guzzler, sorry if I was unclear; The meter shows higher than normal/average blood sugar numbers
(e.g. 5-7), yet the symptoms I have are of hyperglycmia, which *should * show lower than typical 11-13 (now elevated glucose dose doubled recently). I have had tremors, short sleep cycle, and hunger at night,
excessive energy and speediness, and heart palpitations. Other medical factors I posted may have an
interactive effect. But the red alert is that if I eat more I feel much better.

Thanks for reading.
\

Erin

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ah, I see the misunderstanding now. Thank you. So your meter is showing higher than normal blood glucose levels (hyperglycaemia) but you are experiencing symptoms of lower than normal levels (hypoglycaemia).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I seem to have both.

Erin
Not suprising you have both as they are the same thing.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I seem to have both.

Erin

Hi @Erin
Do you mean Hypoglycaemia? And elevated glucose levels?

If so, yes.

It depends on your first insulin response, if it is weak like mine, then hyperglycaemia is certain. Before diagnosis I also had hyperinsulinaemia, high insulin resistance and high circulating insulin, then of course, fluctuations in blood glucose levels which gives you all the symptoms. When I was misdiagnosed with T2, my Hyperglycaemia levels were thirty mmols! That was my highest reading.
But of course my fasting levels were either normal or coming down from the hyper.
My pancreas, would over compensate for the initial response and my secondary response would overshoot to produce excessive insulin.

I would hyper then hypo, after having carbs.
So of course you can have both hyperglycaemia and hypoglycaemia!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear Guzzler, sorry if I was unclear; The meter shows higher than normal/average blood sugar numbers
(e.g. 5-7), yet the symptoms I have are of hyperglycmia, which *should * show lower than typical 11-13 (now elevated glucose dose doubled recently). I have had tremors, short sleep cycle, and hunger at night,
excessive energy and speediness, and heart palpitations. Other medical factors I posted may have an
interactive effect. But the red alert is that if I eat more I feel much better.

Thanks for reading.
\

Erin

I've just read the other posts,
A lot of the symptoms could possibly be the fluctuating blood glucose levels, if you are getting levels consistently high and low (ish), the drops will give you the symptoms you describe and eating will relieve the symptoms for a time.
Your body will adapt to normal levels eventually depending on your balance of foods, exercise and medication.
You might be struggling to get through the carb flu phase of low carb, and eating something that isn't, to relieve the symptoms will only make the transition longer.

Best wishes

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Erin

If so, yes.

It depends on your first insulin response, if it is weak like mine, then hyperglycaemia is certain. Before diagnosis I also had hyperinsulinaemia, high insulin resistance and high circulating insulin, then of course, fluctuations in blood glucose levels which gives you all the symptoms. When I was misdiagnosed with T2, my Hyperglycaemia levels were thirty mmols! That was my highest reading.
But of course my fasting levels were either normal or coming down from the hyper.
My pancreas, would over compensate for the initial response and my secondary response would overshoot to produce excessive insulin.

Hmmmm, I am still of glyclazide, not insulin and at the lower range at that. I suspect the abrupt
lithium discontinuation after 35 years on it, may have an effect. Search the medical sites now, and
I see there is a strong association between lithium and diabetes, one way or another.

Yes, it does seem to be both hypo and hyper, maybe brittle as they call it, or if I can hope for
another miracle, maybe reversal of diabetes.

Thank you.

Irene

Reactions: kitedoc

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That will do it for certain!

Glicizide is a decent drug to relieve hyperglycaemia, but as you do get towards normal blood levels, the dosage should be adjusted to prevent hypoglycaemia and possibly false hypos, as a quick drop will almost certainly give you those symptoms.

If you are getting good fasting levels and also on low carb, having a conversation with your GP is what I would do.
I don't know enough about lithium withdrawal to comment but any similar drug cold turkey, will be difficult to adapt to.

Best wishes

Reactions: kitedoc

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've just read the other posts,
A lot of the symptoms could possibly be the fluctuating blood glucose levels, if you are getting levels consistently high and low (ish), the drops will give you the symptoms you describe and eating will relieve the symptoms for a time.
Your body will adapt to normal levels eventually depending on your balance of foods, exercise and medication.
You might be struggling to get through the carb flu phase of low carb, and eating something that isn't, to relieve the symptoms will only make the transition longer.

Best wishes

Thank you,

I tend to agree that crisis mode - my mother's death, (emotional and physical, and pharmaceutical, and withdrawals, and flu, and thyroid dose fluctuations) and sheer exhaustion with forgetfulness of pill and food routine, within a time period of two-three months, may have had some influence on "stability".

Thanks so much for your consideration.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
November 2018: Relapse of bipolar after 6 months; straight from the Horse's Mouth- Kraepelin, and my doctor's prediction. Remarkable similarity of symptoms of mania and depression; mysteriously physical. Back on li at slow dose, hard to climb that hill.

As for blood sugar - interesting decrease upon gradual treatment;

Seeing my dr. soon. I suppose I am lucky that li still works after 35 yrs. approx. of use, and then discontinuation.

Erin

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Erin

If so, yes.

Hi sorry for jumping in but thats what happens with me, I can go from 11 to below 4 within hours and get normal fasting levels! So yeah I agree you can both hyper and hypo, just a pain when you loose hypo awareness and don’t t realise until you feel a bit weird lol.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi sorry for jumping in but thats what happens with me, I can go from 11 to below 4 within hours and get normal fasting levels! So yeah I agree you can both hyper and hypo, just a pain when you loose hypo awareness and don’t t realise until you feel a bit weird lol.

It has been suggested by quite a lot of research that because of insulin resistance and high circulating insulin in T2, your initial insulin response is not enough to cope with the glucose derived from a carby meal. If you are carb intolerant, the rollercoaster ride of your fluctuating blood glucose levels will give you the symptoms of hypoglycaemia.
That is why low carb, high fat diet works.
It does not spike you high enough to cause the hyper/ hypo reading you will get from a carby meal.
It is the same with RH, no hyper, no hypos!

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in no meds at mo due to stopping Victoza and awaiting to see the DSN so could that explain the recurrence of my spikes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’m in no meds at mo due to stopping Victoza and awaiting to see the DSN so could that explain the recurrence of my spikes?
Yes, it could.
But it would be interesting to see your readings over the next few weeks.
If it was me and I had plenty of test strips, I would be monitoring my blood glucose levels in earnest. Probably, pre meal, one hour and two hours, and possibly every thirty minutes post prandial, if I was upping my carb intake, or because of higher fat or a lot of protein.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Been doing so and I’m eating 3 small meals a day as my tummy still thinks I’m on Victoza but today 3 hours after dinner I was 9.8, also checked my urine and it was ++ for glucose