Courgettes

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More details needed....
Slice courgettes with a mandolin, because it keeps a constant thickness immerse the courgettes in the rice wine vinegar for about 3 minutes. (if the vinegar is to tart add a pinch of sweeter ):bookworm:

Goes equally well with a cold dish i.e salad or a hot dish roast chicken and gravy.
:bag:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve taken to making this lemon courgette cake. Delicious:

Using a 2lb loaf tin I get10 slices which works out at 2.5 grams of carb per portion
Preheat oven to 170C (150 fan) / 350F/ gas mark 5 Line and grease large loaf tin
Ingredients
● 250g erythritol
● 90ml olive oil
● 2eggs
● 75ml unsweetened almond milk
● Juice and zest of 2 lemons
● 225g courgettes, grated
● 215g ground almonds
● 45g chia seeds
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● 2 tsp baking powder
● half teaspoon salt
Method
1. Combine ground almonds, baking powder and salt and set aside.
2. Whisk erythritol and olive oil in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs and almond milk to bowl and whisk again.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract followed by the almonds, baking
powder and salt.
5. Fold in courgettes and lemon zest.
6. Add chia seeds and stir.
7. Bake for around 55 minutes.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Courgette, walnut, and cheese muffins.

Fried courgettes and pine nuts with bacon .

Raw grated baby courgettes and grated cheese (cheddar or parmesan) with either roasted peanuts or cashews,with a little olive oil and lemon juice.

I use them regularly as cooked veggies, often with various combinations of peppers, tomatoes, aubergine, olives, etc.

And somewhere I still have a recipe for zucchini friendship bread/cake which an American crafting friend gave my over 30 years ago which involved a sort of pass it on yeast starter...

Robbity

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slice courgettes with a mandolin, because it keeps a constant thickness immerse the courgettes in the rice wine vinegar for about 3 minutes. (if the vinegar is to tart add a pinch of sweeter ):bookworm:

Goes equally well with a cold dish i.e salad or a hot dish roast chicken and gravy.
Thanks, I will try it and report back.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm assuming courgette is zucchini. I'm eating a ton of these lately. Mainly I'm using a spiralizer, and either making "noodle" stir-fry, or "noodle" soup out of it. I like the sound of the OP recipe. I will probably give it a try sometime.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am amazed at what you can do with a courgette! I eat them often, raw and just chucked in a salad, never thought about doing anything else with them! I will now, thanks for all the recipes.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I cut them into fat chips, then put a small amount tomato puree on, then sprinkle with some garlic powder, mixed herbs, grated cheese. I then line my air fryer tray with foil and cook for 20 mins. I have been known to have these as a snack watching a good film. They are delicious

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I’ve taken to making this lemon courgette cake. Delicious:

Using a 2lb loaf tin I get10 slices which works out at 2.5 grams of carb per portion
Preheat oven to 170C (150 fan) / 350F/ gas mark 5 Line and grease large loaf tin
Ingredients
● 250g erythritol
● 90ml olive oil
● 2eggs
● 75ml unsweetened almond milk
● Juice and zest of 2 lemons
● 225g courgettes, grated
● 215g ground almonds
● 45g chia seeds
● 1 tsp vanilla extract
● 2 tsp baking powder
● half teaspoon salt
Method
1. Combine ground almonds, baking powder and salt and set aside.
2. Whisk erythritol and olive oil in a large bowl.
3. Add eggs and almond milk to bowl and whisk again.
4. Stir in the lemon juice and vanilla extract followed by the almonds, baking
powder and salt.
5. Fold in courgettes and lemon zest.
6. Add chia seeds and stir.
7. Bake for around 55 minutes.
I am going to cook this at some point. Sounds lovely

Reactions: Goonergal

anstu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like everyone else who grows courgettes I have had too many and I eat them in as many ways as possible including courgetti of course. My favourite method at the moment is also very simple so I thought I would share it. Apologies if everyone else cooks them this way already.
Cut courgette into disks about 1cm thick (works well with courgettes that have grown too large).
Place on an oiled baking tray (I slide them about on the tray and them turn them over to oil both sides).
Bake in preheated oven at 190deg for 25 mins.
Turn them over (ideally they will be browned on the underside) and sprinkle with cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, whatever).
Bake for a further 15 mins.
Eat.
I would be inclined to put paprika on top as well

Hotpepper20000

It does. The key is to make sure the minced meat mixture is already cooked and then its just about melting the cheese on top and heating it up.

JMM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many.
I also grow courgettes and here is my recipe.

Cut the courgettes lengthways into strips about a quarter of an inch thick and fry gently in olive oil until slightly softened. (about 5 mins.) Remove and put on a baking tray with about 3 drops of sweet chilli sauce (spread with a knife) on top and a little parmesan grated. Put in the oven for about 5 mins until warm, and eat. I have a ridged frying pan which also makes them look attractive.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As this thread has been revived it reminds me I was going to try this and report back.
Well I tried it and it wasn't nice at all. I like pickles of all types and the recipe is very simple so I don't know what went wrong.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Like everyone else who grows courgettes I have had too many and I eat them in as many ways as possible including courgetti of course. My favourite method at the moment is also very simple so I thought I would share it. Apologies if everyone else cooks them this way already.
Cut courgette into disks about 1cm thick (works well with courgettes that have grown too large).
Place on an oiled baking tray (I slide them about on the tray and them turn them over to oil both sides).
Bake in preheated oven at 190deg for 25 mins.
Turn them over (ideally they will be browned on the underside) and sprinkle with cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, whatever).
Bake for a further 15 mins.
Eat.
As a slightly higher carb veg and for kids who just won’t eat them cooked with tinned tomatoes and onions. Be cautious with the onion and tomatoes tho not too much.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
One courgette plant produced 40 yellow courgettes and the other plant 34 green striped courgettes. Not bad for a 50p investment. Is this a record?