Courgettes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like everyone else who grows courgettes I have had too many and I eat them in as many ways as possible including courgetti of course. My favourite method at the moment is also very simple so I thought I would share it. Apologies if everyone else cooks them this way already.
Cut courgette into disks about 1cm thick (works well with courgettes that have grown too large).
Place on an oiled baking tray (I slide them about on the tray and them turn them over to oil both sides).
Bake in preheated oven at 190deg for 25 mins.
Turn them over (ideally they will be browned on the underside) and sprinkle with cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, whatever).
Bake for a further 15 mins.
Eat.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like everyone else who grows courgettes I have had too many and I eat them in as many ways as possible including courgetti of course. My favourite method at the moment is also very simple so I thought I would share it. Apologies if everyone else cooks them this way already.
Cut courgette into disks about 1cm thick (works well with courgettes that have grown too large).
Place on an oiled baking tray (I slide them about on the tray and them turn them over to oil both sides).
Turn them over (ideally they will be browned on the underside) and sprinkle with cheese (Parmesan, mozzarella, whatever).
Eat.

Sounds good!

Reactions: kitedoc

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My "recipe" above to accompany an enormous pork chop, pink in the middle, for tonight's dinner.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat.
Mr Pot can I just ask do they dry out quite a bit...one of the reasons I am mot sure about courgettes is the wetness and slipperyness (is that a word?). This could change my opinion.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive grown a nice glut of round courgettes
My current 2 favourite recipes are
1) courgette hummus
Cut the courgettes into big chunks, toss in avocado oil, roast together with some garlic cloves. When nicely browned and squishy blitz them in a food processor with tahini, lemon juice, a bit more oil and some lightly toasted cumin powder (dry fry for a few mins to release more flavour) - very nice with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Josephs-Carb-Pita-Bread-Pack
2) courgette and mushroom curry
Roast a couple of large aubergines until soft, scoop out the flesh. Whizz it in a food processor with 1/2 bunch fresh coriander, 6 plum tomatoes, 1 onion, knob of ginger, 2 cloves garlic, 1-2 of these https://www.pataks.co.uk/products/spice-pastes/tikka-masala-paste-pot, juice of 1 lemon, 2 tsp erythritol. Gently cook with a little water to make a currry sauce, add chopped courgettes and mushrooms to some oil, fry and then add to the curry sauce. Add some more chopped coriander prior to serving v nice with either the pitta bread or some konjac rice.
The basic curry sauce can take all manner of different veg etcc - todays offering was asparagus, mushroom, green bean and broccoli, yesterday was courgette, mushroom and tofu. Few days ago it was prawns

Last edited:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr Pot can I just ask do they dry out quite a bit...one of the reasons I am mot sure about courgettes is the wetness and slipperyness (is that a word?). This could change my opinion.
With the humungous courgettes that sometimes appear, I remove the soft middle layer ( the soft bit with with lots of seeds)and just use the skin and firmer flesh for cooking

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really, still pretty moist. ( I am struggling with not being inappropriate here). You need to thinly slice them and dry fry them if that's the texture you want. In a tempura batter would be ideal of course, but not really low carb.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
some lightly toasted cumin powder (dry fry for a few mins to release more flavour)
Could you go into more detail about how to do this? I have been wondering how to activate spices before adding them. In the past I would have added spices to fried onions and garlic, but now I don't eat those I am at a loss.

D

Deleted Account

I chop into rounds and char on a griddle.
I do the same with aubergines and red pepper and haloumi for a griddled veggie feast.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the humungous courgettes that sometimes appear
Courgettes must be the most productive of plants. I have only one plant this year after a glut last year from 3 plants but it is 9 feet long and supplying my family and several neighbours to capacity.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to grow courgettes when I had a larger garden - there were always a couple which hid under the leaves and dreamed of becoming marrows.
Salt will draw out the moisture - then it can be washed off and the flesh dried on kitchen towel - it works with aubergines too.
Another option is slicing and putting into a slow oven, checking and turning over until dried out enough.
I have some cast iron cookware which seems ideal for low carb cooking - courgettes fried in butter is still one of my favourites.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you go into more detail about how to do this? I have been wondering how to activate spices before adding them. In the past I would have added spices to fried onions and garlic, but now I don't eat those I am at a loss.
I just put a tsp or two of cumin powder into a frying pan ( usually use a ceramic or cast iron pan) on a lowish heat, keep stirring the powder ( to stop it catching ) until you smell the spice coming off.
When I can be faffed to do so, I will do the same with whole Cumin seeds then grind them in a coffee grinder - both ways give a more intense cumin flavour

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just put a tsp or two of cumin powder into a frying pan ( usually use a ceramic or cast iron pan) on a lowish heat, keep stirring the powder ( to stop it catching ) until you smell the spice coming off.
When I can be faffed to do so, I will do the same with whole Cumin seeds then grind them in a coffee grinder - both ways give a more intense cumin flavour
Thanks very much. I would have expected the cumin to stick to the pan despite stirring.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my local curry house they used to warm up oil and then throw in handfuls of seed and spoons of powders, mix and allow to heat up until the whole place was full of the scent - as a super taster I felt quite faint at the intensity of the aroma.
The pan was then set at the back of the mixing bench and either the oil scooped off the top or the gunge (an actual cooking term) spooned off the bottom for the different dishes.
It is now run by different people and their cookery is good but not the same.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my local curry house they used to warm up oil and then throw in handfuls of seed and spoons of powders, mix and allow to heat up until the whole place was full of the scent - as a super taster I felt quite faint at the intensity of the aroma.
The pan was then set at the back of the mixing bench and either the oil scooped off the top or the gunge (an actual cooking term) spooned off the bottom for the different dishes.
It is now run by different people and their cookery is good but not the same.
Thanks, I am feeling quite inspired!

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My favourite method at the moment is also very simple so I thought I would share it.
If were doing cooking tips here is my new favourite try pickling the courgettes in a little rice wine vinegar.
Quick & easy. ;)
:bag: