Pre and post breakfast readings both the same

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone,
This morning my pre breakfast reading was 5.1 I then had 1 rasher of fried bacon, a few mushrooms, 2 eggs and a small slice of Burgen bread, buttered and a cup of boiled water.
I wasn't able to test until 1.5 hours post breakfast and my reading was still 5.1 and I have just started very deep yawning which often means my BG is dropping. I don't have diabetes but I have post prandial reactive hypoglycaemia. Would you have expected a higher post breakfast reading? Regards Atlantico

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that two snapshot readings don't give the whole picture.

What sometimes happens with RH is that the blood glucose doesn't rise significantly after food, yet the hypos still happen. This seems to be because the pancreas is so good at producing insulin that it prevents the highs. The insulin then overshoots, and drives blood glucose down after eating. You may find it interesting to have a read up about the hormone glucagon. This is the insulin antagonist and should be released to halt the overshoot.

Another possibility is that you missed the high. This can happen very quickly after eating (depends on the food, but could be less than an hour) so unless you test every few mins for the whole 2 hours, you won't see what is really going on. Obviously, that level of testing is impractical and unsustainable, but you might find it useful to do once, just to see if that may be happening for you.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm afraid that two snapshot readings don't give the whole picture.

What sometimes happens with RH is that the blood glucose doesn't rise significantly after food, yet the hypos still happen. This seems to be because the pancreas is so good at producing insulin that it prevents the highs. The insulin then overshoots, and drives blood glucose down after eating. You may find it interesting to have a read up about the hormone glucagon. This is the insulin antagonist and should be released to halt the overshoot.

Another possibility is that you missed the high. This can happen very quickly after eating (depends on the food, but could be less than an hour) so unless you test every few mins for the whole 2 hours, you won't see what is really going on. Obviously, that level of testing is impractical and unsustainable, but you might find it useful to do once, just to see if that may be happening for you.

Thank you Brunneria for your prompt reply. I will test very frequently for my next meal and see if I can see what is happening. I will also read up on Glucagon, as you suggest. Regards Atlantico

lindisfel

Expert
Are you clocking your post prandial after first bite, Atlantico?
It wasn't a very carby breakfast anyway.
Thanks.
D.

Atlantico

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are you clocking your post prandial after first bite, Atlantico?
It wasn't a very carby breakfast anyway.

D.
Yes I did take the post prandial reading after first bite but take your point about it being quite low carb. I didn't think of that. Thanks.