Artificial sweeteners have toxic effects on gut microbes

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The collaborative study indicated relative toxicity of six artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, saccharine, neotame, advantame, and acesulfame potassium-k) and 10 sport supplements containing these artificial sweeteners. The bacteria found in the digestive system became toxic when exposed to concentrations of only one mg./ml. of the artificial sweeteners.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181001101932.htm

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ironically I only started suffering with IBS once I added Stevia to my diet. Dietician believes its unusual for me to have IBS so late in my life. We were wondering if the correct diagnosis. Less symptoms without metformin but still apparent. Swollen stomach too but endoscopy was clear except for GERD.
Inflammation flare up, most likely. Anything can cause it, even almonds. So artificial sweeteners won't get away Scott free for IBS sufferers surely?

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar long term. I know they altered my gut microbiome and helped me on the way to becoming obese. I fear for the generation that are being persuaded to consume more of them now that we have a sugar tax. Still, it's good news for the food and drugs companies and diet clubs. Artificial sweeteners: bad for health, great for business. I expect there will be a report contradicting the finding in this one very soon...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand tend to agree. I gave up all sweeteners a couple of weeks ago - whether it’s permanent or not remains to be seen - after realising I was getting as addicted to those as I previously was to sugar. Feeling good on it and also ended a very gradual trend of putting small amounts of weight on - 1kg loss last week. So while they weren’t spiking me, pretty sure they were triggering cravings and leading to me eating more.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A further issue with artificial sweeteners: "emerging as environmental pollutants due to them being resistant to wastewater treatment processes". So probably the next thing we'll find out is impacting the wider environment - and who knows what effects on animal life.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That's one thing that always surprises me. Giving up sugars for me was easy ... real and artificial

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ironically I only started suffering with IBS once I added Stevia to my diet. Dietician believes its unusual for me to have IBS so late in my life. We were wondering if the correct diagnosis. Less symptoms without metformin but still apparent. Swollen stomach too but endoscopy was clear except for GERD.
Inflammation flare up, most likely. Anything can cause it, even almonds. So artificial sweeteners won't get away Scott free for IBS sufferers surely?

Hey I resently read somewhere that stevia in very High dose in some case could work like an antibiotic ( antibiotic also Can damage gut bacterie as far as I know)
https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-sci-whats-story-stevia/

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The collaborative study indicated relative toxicity of six artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sucralose, saccharine, neotame, advantame, and acesulfame potassium-k) and 10 sport supplements containing these artificial sweeteners. The bacteria found in the digestive system became toxic when exposed to concentrations of only one mg./ml. of the artificial sweeteners.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181001101932.htm
The Sun newspaper seems to have their version.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/7...Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1538494271