Lessons from history

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.ultimatehealthprotocol.com/support-files/eat_fat.pdf

I found this bit interesting for the CICO paths...

"In 1950 at the Royal Society of Medicine in London, Professor Sir Charles Dodds, who is in charge of the Courtauld Institute of Biochemistry at the Middlesex Hospital, described an experiment he had carried out.

He took people whose weights had been constant for many years and persuaded them to eat double or treble their normal amount of food. They did not put on weight."

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ND dismissed in one sentence from 1958 50 years before it was even thought of...

"The cure of obesity and so of all these symptoms can be, of course, achieved by frank starvation but, as Dr. Mackarness explains, this is both an illogical and an injurious treatment while that based on eating as much of everything as one likes, except starches and sugars and foods rich in these, is both logical and actively good for one's health, quite apart from the effect on one's weight."

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I've only read the introduction but already I am struck by the simplicity and clarity of the piece. Going to grab a creamed coffee and come back for chapter 1.

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a fascinating document, thanks for the link @bulkbiker
Speaking as a constant-weighter I found the following to be the most telling statement.

Kekwick and Pawan and other investigators have shown that up to 60 grammes (just under 2 ounces) of carbohydrate a day are compatible with effective weight reduction on a high-fat, high-protein diet, although in some subjects even this amount will slow down the rate of weight loss. In such cases further restriction of carbohydrate with stricter adherence to the high-fat, high-protein foods results in satisfactory weight loss again.

If this was known by members of the medical profession sixty years ago it shows what a monumental piece of human stupidity allowed us to get where we are today!

May I ask how you came across this BB?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a fascinating document, thanks for the link @bulkbiker
Speaking as a constant-weighter I found the following to be the most telling statement.

Kekwick and Pawan and other investigators have shown that up to 60 grammes (just under 2 ounces) of carbohydrate a day are compatible with effective weight reduction on a high-fat, high-protein diet, although in some subjects even this amount will slow down the rate of weight loss. In such cases further restriction of carbohydrate with stricter adherence to the high-fat, high-protein foods results in satisfactory weight loss again.

If this was known by members of the medical profession sixty years ago it shows what a monumental piece of human stupidity allowed us to get where we are today!

May I ask how you came across this BB?
I found it on a twitter post that I have just tried to rediscover but seem unable to. I'll do a bit more digging and try to credit the person that found it.

Edit to add I can't find it anywhere.. sorry whoever it was that posted..I know that @CherryAA mentioned it on twitter back in august but that wasn't where I found it this morning..

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only read the introduction but already I am struck by the simplicity and clarity of the piece. Going to grab a creamed coffee and come back for chapter 1.
Isn't it great to read something to do with medicine written for the "ordinary man in the street" not full of obfuscating language that most studies seem to be written in now. I do wonder sometimes if all the "technical terms" aren't there to be more precise but are in fact there to keep the 'unknowing" outside and the "informed" in the loop.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew that was a long read but it was interesting. Didn't like the last table, it said I was large.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Phew that was a long read but it was interesting. Didn't like the last table, it said I was large.
But which shoes did you have on?

Reactions: zand

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The same table says I need to lose about 3 inches (in height!).

@bulkbiker, what should I trim back on to achieve that ?

BloodThirsty

"In 1950 at the Royal Society of Medicine in London, Professor Sir Charles Dodds, who is in charge of the Courtauld Institute of Biochemistry at the Middlesex Hospital, described an experiment he had carried out.

He took people whose weights had been constant for many years and persuaded them to eat double or treble their normal amount of food. They did not put on weight."
Thank you for a brilliant read.
When I pontificate about LCHF my friends (perhaps not for long... yawn!!!) think that this is all a modern fad.
I knew about Banting but didn't realise that there was much in between him and Atkins.

Reactions: Serena51

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The ND dismissed in one sentence from 1958 50 years before it was even thought of...

"The cure of obesity and so of all these symptoms can be, of course, achieved by frank starvation but, as Dr. Mackarness explains, this is both an illogical and an injurious treatment while that based on eating as much of everything as one likes, except starches and sugars and foods rich in these, is both logical and actively good for one's health, quite apart from the effect on one's weight."

This is excellent - thank you @bulkbiker !

I've recently read Dr Jason Fung's wonderful discussion/analysis of “Eat less, Move more” (the section on his site called “Calories”) and why hormones are involved when people gain weight:
https://idmprogram.com/how-do-we-gain-weight-calories-part-1/
and he shows from published studies (one from 1917 entitled “A Biometric Study of Basal Metabolism in Man”) why it won’t be effective. Yet it is still pushed by the establishment and millions of $/£ (billions?) are pumped into promoting it. :banghead: Fung also discusses the relevance of the Women’s Health Initiative study. Best of all is that the medical establishment blames the patient when a diet doomed to failure doesn't succeed! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Reactions: Serena51

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Probably all alcoholic drinks except those like beer which contain large amounts of carbohydrate, are slimming too"

The guy is a frickin genius :)

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of money, time and effort invested in barking up the wrong tree in terms of helping people lose weight is really bizarre.

Einstein said "If I had an hour to solve a problem and my life depended on the solution, I would spend the first 55 minutes determining the proper question to ask, for once I know the proper question, I could solve the problem in less than five minutes." How eloquent!

Didn't someone say "If there's anything to be learnt from history, it's that we never learn anything from history!"?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for this abrilliant read

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
"....the CICO paths". I only just noticed.