Most annoying things about Diabetes

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, this will be an interesting diabetic discussion for us all. What are the most annoying or meticulous things you find about having Diabetes. What makes us tick most and get in a dicky fit. What do people say that annoys you? And anything else...

For me it's when you're testing your blood glucose from your finger and you need a tiny bit more blood from your finger but it doesn't happen and your machine says ERROR :wacky: this stresses me out beyond belief for something so small it can certainly put me in a mood haha

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree the waste of a precious test is infuriating. I get “user errors” that don’t even identify what I did wrong.

Reactions: Dixon1995

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hello, this will be an interesting diabetic discussion for us all. What are the most annoying or meticulous things you find about having Diabetes. What makes us tick most and get in a dicky fit. What do people say that annoys you? And anything else...

For me it's when you're testing your blood glucose from your finger and you need a tiny bit more blood from your finger but it doesn't happen and your machine says ERROR :wacky: this stresses me out beyond belief for something so small it can certainly put me in a mood haha
Change your meter to one that allows you to add blood.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can tell by eye whether I have enough blood for the test. If I don't have enough blood and think my meter might timeout, I remove the strip, reset the meter, get enough blood, re-insert the strip. It has saved me a good few strips.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For me, it's when x units of insulin has a totally predictable and expected effect one day, and then the next day, the same amount will do something entirely different.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
When you end up having to prick your finger up to 3 times to get a sample for testing.

My index finger is now useless for this. Unless I go really deep and painful.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The most annoying thing about my T1 is the unpredictability, can do exactly the same thing two days in a row - one day I'll go high after breakfast and have to fight to bring it back down, the next day I'm having to snack to make sure I don't go hypo. It'd be a lot easier if it wasn't so unpredictable.

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Change your meter to one that allows you to add blood.

Mine does, but errors after about 2 or 3 seconds, but when I go to squeeze out more blood, my body says nope... no more blood from this area... and i'm not quick enough, especially if im hypo

This happens very rarely though and I don't waste strips willy nilly, the few times it does happen, it annoys me

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The most annoying thing about my T1 is the unpredictability, can do exactly the same thing two days in a row - one day I'll go high after breakfast and have to fight to bring it back down, the next day I'm having to snack to make sure I don't go hypo. It'd be a lot easier if it wasn't so unpredictable.

I find this with corrections, 2 units sometimes will lower my sugar, the next im having to take 4 units for the same sugar reduction in my bloods, so annoying

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great points so far, I personally hate how I feel now, I know before I got diabetes, even when I was 14, I felt great, I felt fine when I was in the honeymood period, when that ended and I had to start controlling it myself with more artificial insulin, I started realising how degenerative diabetes is. I mean I haven't experienced any diabetic complications yet (touch wood), but I do not feel like the person I was before I got diabetes at 15, and it is so hard to explain to people what I mean.. before then, I was the fun energetic young lad who had a different personality and after that, I just felt different :s maybe it affected my mental health as well

Does anyone else feel the same?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s usually the little petty things that get me annoyed.
I need 8 units, air shoot 2 and the find I’ve only got 7 left in the pen. Even more annoying first thing in the morning.
Finger prick which results in a fine, long jet of lovely red blood all over the worktop, units, clothing, walls etc which then needs cleaning up.
Queuing in the pharmacists for my prescription.
Eating jelly babies when I’m not remotely hungry.
I don’t actually find being diabetic a problem, to much insulin under the bridge as it were.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The recurrent hassle with nurse, insurance, pharmacy, Abbott to get what I need, to ask if they remembered, to tell I need more, to explain my diabetes.

The changed attitude to food. Never again will I be eating any food without any other thought than 'hey, I fancy that food and I'm going to eat it'. No matter if it's a guilty pleasure for which I'm not sure how much too inject or if it's something carb free I can just eat. Even in the second case my happiness doesn't stem from enjoying the food in the first place but from a giddyness that I can eat it without thinking.

Reactions: Diakat

edan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to wait at least an hour after a hypo to drive, especially when youve just done the shopping and it's all defrosting.

Reactions: XxTinkerxx and Dodo

Tswa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great points so far, I personally hate how I feel now, I know before I got diabetes, even when I was 14, I felt great, I felt fine when I was in the honeymood period, when that ended and I had to start controlling it myself with more artificial insulin, I started realising how degenerative diabetes is. I mean I haven't experienced any diabetic complications yet (touch wood), but I do not feel like the person I was before I got diabetes at 15, and it is so hard to explain to people what I mean.. before then, I was the fun energetic young lad who had a different personality and after that, I just felt different :s maybe it affected my mental health as well

Does anyone else feel the same?
I'm the same, diagnosed at 16 and haven't been the same since, energy wise and mental health wise. I think it made me have to grow up really fast. But you wouldn't be the person you are today without having gone through all you have!

Tswa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get irked by blood smears all over my documents at work cos my finger won't stop bleeding haha

Reactions: Dodo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As others have said, there is the need for vigilance - remembering that the BSL before driving is 5 mmol/l - needing to wait for it to reach that.
Planning ahead for something one has not done before, to make sure they are supplies, ensure that the power packs to charge the pump are full, etc etc.
The cafe where everything to eat is sugar +++ and they have run out of water and other low sugar beverages.
When the pump alarms in the middle of something important (i shall let you fill in the blanks).

Reactions: XxTinkerxx and Dodo

Dixon1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Tswa Youre right!

Squeezing the blood out to quick and it squirts everywhere or a previous lancet wound reopens :playful:

@kitedoc Great answers you're absolutely spot on with the driving one! Never been on a pump but can imagine the extra brain load keeping it sorted properly and to control your BSL ! Most places are so full of sh-it (sugar hidden in all things)

Hypos during late night spontaneous action time :confused: