Accu-chek Solo Tubeless Patch Pump

_becs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Does anyone have any information about the Roche Accu-Chek Solo Tubeless Patch Pump?

I've been asked to consider it by my consultant as well as a few others now Animas has stopped making pumps. I have only had a tubed pump before (Animas Vibe). Accu-chek do a tubed pump too with a separate handset but I have been told there has been a lot of complaints about the touchscreen breaking with being made cheaply, but the tubeless one has been made to a better standard.
I'm aware it's similar to the Omnipod but cannot find much about it.

Thanks,

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As per the link above this pump is over 9 years old design.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What we also know about it is that it's IP22 compliant which means that it's not waterproof so before showering, bathing or swimming, you'll need to remove the micropump from the cannula patch.

As per the link above this pump is over 9 years old design.
The pump design is. Looks like they've updated the radio and handset to use BLE though, and we're hopeful it's much better than the Insight. I'd take a look at it @_becs

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
That looks like a cute little pump! Wow!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Why on earth haven't they made it waterproof?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why on earth haven't they made it waterproof?

I looked through the old data as there is nothing new, there is no mention of it not being waterproof and as a patch pump it certainly makes no sense if its not. Lets wait and see what is said on launch day :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The manual states that the pump itself is IP22, so not waterproof, and you'd detach it from the cannula for showering/swimming.

It's not like the Omnipod. The cannula is a separate item from the pump mechanism and the pump can be removed.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The manual states that the pump itself is IP22, so not waterproof, and you'd detach it from the cannula for showering/swimming.

It's not like the Omnipod. The cannula is a separate item from the pump mechanism and the pump can be removed.

Wow - I'd expect that would be a major disadvantage, having to remove the pump that's clipped to the cannula patch.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow - I'd expect that would be a major disadvantage, having to remove the pump that's clipped to the cannula patch.
Depends on your point of view. It should make the overall system cheaper than the Omnipod because you're not throwing away an entire pump everytime you change the cannula.

Reactions: Jollymon

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends on your point of view. It should make the overall system cheaper than the Omnipod because you're not throwing away an entire pump everytime you change the cannula.

But of course you did know that I was talking about water proofing the product specifically and not about its life cost ;-)

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling

Because I burn through cannulas almost excessively, this one feature on this pump patch makes it kind of a really good idea. I can deal with the not waterproof part, as-long-as I can keep it covered up in the rain.

I used the pod, and because of cannula problems and not being able to re-use the same insulin filled pod after them, we didn’t get along.

Reactions: Chas C