Blucon v Miaomiao

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Simply which is better? I have the Blucon - drip+- Garmin watch which is working ok. But I find the Blucon a little bulky and it sometimes loses the Bluetooth connection if it becomes separated from my phone for more than 10 mins and then it's a pain to reconnect. Should I invest in the miaomiao?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
and then it's a pain to reconnect.

I've not tried MM, so can't comment on that, but with blucon there's a little trick in xdrip+ which might be worth trying.

If I notice it's hung, on the system status page, the green line called "bluetooth pairing bonded" in pic below, if I tap that, a brief blue coloured alert pops up for a second or two, the wording in the green field changes, can't remember to what, but tap it again, another alert comes up saying it'll take about a minute. It'll normally connects within a minute or two.

Mind you, I'm using a year old version of xdrip so it might have changed since then, but worth having a go.

Screenshot_2018-10-10-12-21-26.png

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Scott-C. I had played out with that setting. Same problem either way. Sometimes restarting xdrip will help it reconnect or restarting the phone or, most annoyingly, re-pairing the Bluetooth.
As long as the phone and Blucon stay close it's 100% reliable.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've not tried MM, so can't comment on that, but with blucon there's a little trick in xdrip+ which might be worth trying.

If I notice it's hung, on the system status page, the green line called "bluetooth pairing bonded" in pic below, if I tap that, a brief blue coloured alert pops up for a second or two, the wording in the green field changes, can't remember to what, but tap it again, another alert comes up saying it'll take about a minute. It'll normally connects within a minute or two.

Mind you, I'm using a year old version of xdrip so it might have changed since then, but worth having a go.

View attachment 28907

Just wanted to add to this for anyone who comes across it as it's going to vary from handset to handset - I originally started out using the bonded setting but found it unreliable and prone to disconnecting, especially when using bluetooth for other purposes (e.g. streaming music). I would find myself having to pin reset the Blucon, scan for it and re pair it with the code on the side to get things working again for a bit.

However, I went with leaving the bonding option off and I've found it much more reliable since. It still wakes up and pulls the info in every 5 minutes and the Blucon stays in my bluetooth settings showing as connected now. I also find if I walk out of range and come back it may log an event similar to the below but it then sorts itself out and pulls in any data it may have missed.

Code:
Got NACK on cmd=010c0e00 with error=0009
New Cmd received too early, send blukon to sleep

If I take the Blucon off for a shower so I don't get it wet and it's been a little while since it last received a signal I sometimes use the Restart Collector button on the 'Classic Status Page' and that gets it going again straight away.

Screenshot_20181011-105212.png

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I still get unreliable reconnects when going out of Bluetooth range for more than 10mins. I tried the bonded setting and restart collecter but makes no difference. Fasted way of getting it going again is restarting the phone. So it may be my phone (Lenovo P2) rather than the Blucon.

kristineh

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I will probably be going for the MM once I get my Libre prescription....
I spent $199 on MiaoMiao twice and both times it stopped working after 4 - 6 weeks. First time it cracked within 6 weeks, later I saw following video on youtube which confirmed that I am not alone with this problem. MM customer service is almost non-existent, when it stopped working first time I thought it could be just my device but later found many people had same issues.

Last edited: