What was your bg reading last night and this morning?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know there are other threads for fbgs, and for highest/lowest readings in one day. But I've noticed that over the last few weeks my fbgs are often higher than my bg readings after my evening meal the previous night.
eg Monday night 7.0, Tuesday morning 8.0.
Tuesday night 5.9, Wednesday morning 7.2.
I forgot to test on Wednesday evening.

I know this is likely to be because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' but I thought it might be useful for people to record and compare their readings at night and in the morning to see how DP affects us.
Last night my readings were roughly the same, 7.3 at 1945 last night, 7.2 at 0630 today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shas3 and Freema

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I know there are other threads for fbgs, and for highest/lowest readings in one day. But I've noticed that over the last few weeks my fbgs are often higher than my bg readings after my evening meal the previous night.
eg Monday night 7.0, Tuesday morning 8.0.
Tuesday night 5.9, Wednesday morning 7.2.

I know this is likely to be because of 'Dawn Phenomenon' but I thought it might be useful for people to record and compare their readings at night and in the morning to see how DP affects us.
Last night my readings were roughly the same, 7.3 at 1945 last night, 7.2 at 0630 today.

Have you noticed any increase in the amount of protein your are eating in the evening meal ? or higher protein higher FBG ?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you noticed any increase in the amount of protein your are eating in the evening meal ? or higher protein higher FBG ?
No I'm eating much the same as I usually do. But I am now taking readings more often at night than I used to.
I didn't really test much at night, and my fbgs were usually atound 6.3. But they have been higher over the last 4-5 weeks, around 7.0, so I have been testing before and after evening meal to see how it changes overnight.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm having problems with protein at the moment.
2018_10_11-page-001.jpg

2018_10_12-page-001.jpg

I've had fried eggs both mornings at around 06:30, so effect seems immediate. Last night I had chicken, no problems. My experience with Dawn Phenomena is that it starts much earlier, maybe 04:00 or 05:00. I will be fasting for a few days to kick this back into the 5 - 7 range which I've managed for several months.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe a bit off topic, but still "am I missing something here, quite a few posters seem to be delaying the use of Metformin" Would anybody wish to share their views re this issue.[ by the way I started taking 850 mg metformin about 8 days ago with very good results, but without the famous side effects]

Reactions: Freema

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe a bit off topic, but still "am I missing something here, quite a few posters seem to be delaying the use of Metformin" Would anybody wish to share their views re this issue.[ by the way I started taking 850 mg metformin about 8 days ago with very good results, but without the famous side effects]
Hi @Pasha I stopped taking all diabetes meds including Metformin almost 3 months ago. My bg levels have been in the 5/6 range since.:)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @LalaALH. It's good you have a meter and are testing to find out which foods raise your bgs.
Are you Type 2?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I don't have any objections to taking metfornin, apart from possible side effects. From what I read on here it is quite beneficial.
But I was never offered it by my gp. Presumably because my HbA1cs were never very high. I'm surprised that pre-diabetics are prescribed it.
I am seeing a gp (not the one I usually see) next week, and I might ask if I should take metfornin as my HbA1cs are going up towards the diabetic range.

Reactions: Pasha

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Umm....no idea, and no idea.

It was 4.6 at 18:30 though, but that is not what you were asking :banghead:

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @LalaALH As you're new here, I'm tagging @daisy1 for her welcome email which has lots of useful advice, even though that is sort of hijacking the thread.

I know that my fasting glucose does seem to be directly related to what I've eaten the night before, even if I feel I've gone to bed with a reasonable number. And my fasting numbers are always high, and the only way to stop them keep going up in the morning is to eat. Which I often don't (trying to get two kids off to school doesn't always coincide with me cooking breakfast!).

But I do know that if I eat dinner extra early that my numbers are a lot lower too in the morning.

I know the answers; I just can't generally follow the solution!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am because I am deaf and probably have something called MIDD, where metformin is contraindicated for it :) If I delved deeper, I should be genetically tested for it to be sure, but my GP isn't pushing that as an idea, and as we're both quite happy with levels remaining in prediabetic levels with diet, then for the moment all is good without meds.

Reactions: Pasha and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For a change mine was higher last night, 8.5, than this morning, 7.2.