Rowing machines ....Your Thoughts??

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the correct technique with any exercise is vital. A good gym instruction should teach you that before anything else. If they don't, change gym.

That goes for running, cycling, weights, whatever.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been using a rowing machine for the past five months. Fitness wise I have really benefitted from this type of exercise. I am also T1 and 55 years of age, The Rower I use is a Waterower you get the natural sound of water as you row, these rowers can also be stood on end when not in use, which saves a lot on space. I also use Dumbells as part of my exercise workout. I just wish I had started rowing years ago because my health and well being has greatly improved.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nickglanf. So happy you're enjoying rowing and reaping the benefits. I'm also T1 and 52yrs old but have been using rowing machine's for 25 yrs plus and can honestly say they're my favourite piece of kit at the gym. I know that not everyone gets on with them and that's good it means that I can always get on one whenever I'm in the gym. Recently I've started using a BOSU ball, not sure if you are familiar with them but i think they are really good for people around our age. Have really benefitted from a different workout on a very simple piece of kit, great for core and joint strengthening without the need for lots of weights.Good luck and happy rowing

Reactions: kev-w

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Nickglanf. So happy you're enjoying rowing and reaping the benefits. I'm also T1 and 52yrs old but have been using rowing machine's for 25 yrs plus and can honestly say they're my favourite piece of kit at the gym. I know that not everyone gets on with them and that's good it means that I can always get on one whenever I'm in the gym. Recently I've started using a BOSU ball, not sure if you are familiar with them but i think they are really good for people around our age. Have really benefitted from a different workout on a very simple piece of kit, great for core and joint strengthening without the need for lots of weights.Good luck and happy rowing
Hi therower, yes I have looked at a Bosu Ball some months ago and was thinking about getting one. I do not go to a gym I workout at home. When I started rowing I was quit unfit and it took me a good three weeks too get some fitness and the technique right, It was light rowing at 20 to 24 strokes minute. Five month on I am rowing at 29 to 31 strokes a minute. Basically I do 5 minute warm up light rowing 15 minutes workout and a 5 minute warm down. I also do my stretches before and after the warm up and warm down. Because rowing is a mix of cardio and resistance training, I was told it is important to not start or finish a workout cold. The dumbbell training has helped my upper body strength. I use 5kg 8kg 10kg & 12kg menshealth fixed dumbbell sets, I got these from Argos. I also incorporate press ups & and 6 pack abbs exercises into my workout. There are some great tutorials on U-Tube. It has worked out for me. It' been a gradual process and a good learning curve . Like some T1 & T2 Diabetics I was going through a bad time with my BS and general well being , I have lost weight and changed my diet to moderate Low Carb and introducd more protein to my diet . That's basically me these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nickglanf. Sounds like you are doing well with your training. As I said I've been training for quite awhile, 35yrs since I bought my first set of weights and joined a gym. Your rowing sounds like it's going great, stroke rate at 30 for a session in my books is very good. I personally train over a set distance, 2km best time 6.56mins, 5km,10km and occasionally 20km(79 mins pure hell). I have found that changing routine can be really beneficial and help relieve some of the boredom that can set in whilst rowing, I'm sure you tube has some great programmes to try. A personal favourite of mine is tabata. It takes 4mins but you know you've done it, a word of caution though it is intense so take care if you give it a try. Glad that you are seeing results from training to many people expect results in week one and give up by week two. Happy rowing

SammySommers

I personally have a Concept 2 D at home for several months, it's great. Don't worry about noise levels, go the headphones. If you want some more info on it, check out

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All

My current exercise regime mainly consists of 3 x 30 minute walks per day. One of which is on a treadmill and I try to push it but have a dodgy knee so 3 minute intervals 5kph and 5.5kph respectively on a fairly steep gradient.

I really need to introduce some strength/muscle exercise to maintain and exercise the areas where walking has least impact. It was suggested to me that a rowing machine can meet these needs with out having to resort to weights etc

I'd appreciate your thoughts or experiences?

Please take into account that I can't see myself being a Gym member and am not keen on lifting weights etc
As a trainer, I'd say that the rowing machine is counted as cardiovascular kit. You don't need to join a gym to do resistance exercise and its true that having more muscles will make you more insulin sensitive so less diabetic.
Rowing is a great progression from walking so I am not knocking it as a useful bit of kit.
Re bodyweight exercises try:
Squats (hold water bottles or cans)
Push ups (on knees or against a wall)
Lunges (step forward, backwards or side ways bending the knee in the direction of travel)
Hip raises (lie on your back and squeeze up your hips)
Deadlifts (pick up something heavy by bending the knees and then straightening up)
Go for 10 repetitions and do them twice. Build up to 15 and 3 rounds.

I have no idea of your capabilities so pardon me if the above is telling grandma how to suck eggs...
You can also watch YouTube - just type in Bodyweight Exercises and loads will appear!

S

Sean01

Hi All

My current exercise regime mainly consists of 3 x 30 minute walks per day. One of which is on a treadmill and I try to push it but have a dodgy knee so 3 minute intervals 5kph and 5.5kph respectively on a fairly steep gradient.

I really need to introduce some strength/muscle exercise to maintain and exercise the areas where walking has least impact. It was suggested to me that a rowing machine can meet these needs with out having to resort to weights etc

Please take into account that I can't see myself being a Gym member and am not keen on lifting weights etc
3 30 minutes walks a day is great - but keep an eye on the gradient on the treadmill if you have a dodgy knee. If you look at the calorie counter - you probably wont loose that much by reducing the gradient - and it could save your knees.

You like walking - take a look at nordic pole walking - it will help with core and upper body

Also farmers Walk with lightish hand held weights - possibly one of the best all over conditioning exercises there is.

Rowing machine will work back, shoulders and arms - but it takes a lot of puff out of you. I can walk for hours on a treadmill but 10 mins on a rower and I'm done (lack of puff)

Sean

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi All

I absolutely adore rowing, definitely recommend. Concept2 are the best machines they can be expensive if buying yourself, around £600+ second hand, but well worth the investment as it's a full body workout. It's lower impact on your knees, too, apart from the bend and flex movement on the forward push back motion. It still won't send your knees to ruination, though, only if you're battering it out on there day in, day out. It's also great to build definition, specifically the lats/back and legs, and it scorches calories brilliantly well. I have a home rower, but I want to get a Concept2 to start putting in some serious cardio hits when I'm at home. Also, checkout YouTube, there's some excellent training videos about rowers and technique, and ideas for sprints and mini challenges you can set yourself to achieve specific goals you're after or even just to keep mixing things up. If you get technique nailed, you'll swerve injuries and see results quicker. Highly recommend the rower, they're ace!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Concept2 are the best machines

I recently changed gym's... First priority was distance from home, second was Concept2 rower! I always hated rowing until I met with concept2's. I'm pretty certain that hubby will not let me have one of these in the house - but if he would, then I wouldn't ever be off the thing!

Reactions: IronLioness

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I often use the Concept rower for warm ups, just 5 minutes and I find it's ok on my dodgy knee, good form is a must but if I had one static trainer at home it would be the rowing machine.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I recently changed gym's... First priority was distance from home, second was Concept2 rower! I always hated rowing until I met with concept2's. I'm pretty certain that hubby will not let me have one of these in the house - but if he would, then I wouldn't ever be off the thing!
Haha! I looove your priorities when it comes to choosing a gym! They're a fab bit of kit, love them

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I absolutely adore rowing, definitely recommend. Concept2 are the best machines they can be expensive if buying yourself, around £600+ second hand, but well worth the investment as it's a full body workout. It's lower impact on your knees, too, apart from the bend and flex movement on the forward push back motion. It still won't send your knees to ruination, though, only if you're battering it out on there day in, day out. It's also great to build definition, specifically the lats/back and legs, and it scorches calories brilliantly well. I have a home rower, but I want to get a Concept2 to start putting in some serious cardio hits when I'm at home. Also, checkout YouTube, there's some excellent training videos about rowers and technique, and ideas for sprints and mini challenges you can set yourself to achieve specific goals you're after or even just to keep mixing things up. If you get technique nailed, you'll swerve injuries and see results quicker. Highly recommend the rower, they're ace!
i agree i have an older model concept 11 rower that i bought secondhand some ten years ago for about 300 pounds ,..i initialy used it early 2008 for a couple of months along with diet lost a couple of stone but unfortunatly bit by bit stopped using it and it gathered more and more dust... used it half heartedly every now and again...over the next 9 years quite easily put on about 5-6 stone until i got diagnosed type 2 in feb 2018..lost some weight ..dusted off the concept 11 {the monitor dont work} built up slowly..on setting 8 ..i do 20 to 40 minutes rowing at a constant speed 5 to 6 days per week followed by half an hour dog walking then off to work.. definitly worth investing in one....takes up space i agree..i just built a shed around it and an ex gym running machine!

Reactions: IronLioness

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few things to remember when using rowers.......
1.10 on the resistance isn’t necessarily the optimum resistance for you as an individual.
2.If you are able, ensure the fan blades and cover are kept dust free. Many gyms don’t realise the benefits of dust free rowers.
3. Check and set the drag factor on the machine you are using. Google Concept rower drag factor for information.
4 . The force curve option on the display screen is often overlooked yet it gives the best data and feedback on how well you are rowing on each stroke.

Happy rowing:):):)

Reactions: kev-w

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
f f sake...just row thats all there is to it ,,,,simple as!

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
f f sake...just row thats all there is to it ,,,,simple as!
0503 ..just done 30minutes on c 11.... 4 minutes bench sit ups .... couldnt sleep ....now back to bed for a while

bmtest

- Dodgy knee ? make sure no supporting tissue is causing this which massage wiont sort.

- Depending on age the brisk walking is good do more of it uphill or put a burgen on to increase weight.

- If over 50 and losing fast twitch fibre buy a kettlebell and deadlift with it for strength 6 reps or so

Concept 2 rower very good, correct form is essential and it is as boring as hell its repetative.

I once read in medical book years ago there is no need for the knee to weat out, hoever it is essential after exercise to deep massage this area to eleviate tension on joint.