Blue flashing lights...

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Breakfast was two coffees with cream, and I drove to the shops intending to eat my first food around 11:30-12:00. I started to feel dizzy, then hot but didn't worry unduly. However I barely made it to the carpark as the world started spinning. Really badly. Closing my eyes didn't really help. I was pouring with sweat and Mrs NMD dived into Lidl to get bottled water. I was able, despite shaking, to do a finger prick, getting 7.9. Then I threw up coffee and water everywhere. Repeatedly.
I rang my GP and was advised to call 999. The ambulance arrived and I was plugged in with the electric sticky pads, and fitted with a catheter in one arm. Flashing lights all the way to A&E where I was given an anti-emetic and re-tested at 8.6.
A nurse tested urine, found a UTI and mentioned my ketones were high, but I'm LCHF so didn't consider that unusual.
After four hours I was declared non-urgent and discharged, being advised to return if the symptoms did.
Returning home I slept virtually all afternoon and night and felt reasonable the next day. Sugar was back to normal levels by then.
Within a couple of days I was driving round Italy and I haven't stopped to consider what might have happened. Does anyone recognise anything familiar in all of this? Could the infection have caused the drama? I'll see my GP but I suspect he won't have any more information than I was told at the time.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not a medical person but have heard that UTI's are notorious for causing sudden problems like yours.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nomoredonuts . For what it’s worth. My wife is a nurse and regularly tells me of patients who are fine one moment and then within a short period of time go completely off the scale.
UTI ‘s can and do play havoc with us as human beings, add diabetes into the mix and hey ho , life takes a real turn for the worse.
Not sure this helps, but a uti is not to be taken lightly.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was two coffees with cream, and I drove to the shops intending to eat my first food around 11:30-12:00. I started to feel dizzy, then hot but didn't worry unduly. However I barely made it to the carpark as the world started spinning. Really badly. Closing my eyes didn't really help. I was pouring with sweat and Mrs NMD dived into Lidl to get bottled water. I was able, despite shaking, to do a finger prick, getting 7.9. Then I threw up coffee and water everywhere. Repeatedly.
I rang my GP and was advised to call 999. The ambulance arrived and I was plugged in with the electric sticky pads, and fitted with a catheter in one arm. Flashing lights all the way to A&E where I was given an anti-emetic and re-tested at 8.6.
A nurse tested urine, found a UTI and mentioned my ketones were high, but I'm LCHF so didn't consider that unusual.
After four hours I was declared non-urgent and discharged, being advised to return if the symptoms did.
Returning home I slept virtually all afternoon and night and felt reasonable the next day. Sugar was back to normal levels by then.
Within a couple of days I was driving round Italy and I haven't stopped to consider what might have happened. Does anyone recognise anything familiar in all of this? Could the infection have caused the drama? I'll see my GP but I suspect he won't have any more information than I was told at the time.

Anyone commenting is purely guessing, but my comment would be that nobody should ignore a UTI, but to treat it with respect (and antibiotics!), drinking lots of fluids.

UTIs can lead to acute electrolyte imbalances, which can in turn impact on some of the electrical pathways in our bodies.

Have you had antibiotics, lab cultures and are you to have follow up dip tests?

I'm glad you're feeling better.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts . For what it’s worth. My wife is a nurse and regularly tells me of patients who are fine one moment and then within a short period of time go completely off the scale.
UTI ‘s can and do play havoc with us as human beings, add diabetes into the mix and hey ho , life takes a real turn for the worse.
Not sure this helps, but a uti is not to be taken lightly.
Didn't know I had it, and have had no treatment for it either. \did they expect it to clear up by itself?

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Anyone commenting is purely guessing, but my comment would be that nobody should ignore a UTI, but to treat it with respect (and antibiotics!), drinking lots of fluids.

UTIs can lead to acute electrolyte imbalances, which can in turn impact on some of the electrical pathways in our bodies.

Have you had antibiotics, lab cultures and are you to have follow up dip tests?

I'm glad you're feeling better.
No follow up from the hospital. I guess they would have written to my GP, so unless I ask him what was the diagnosis, I don't suppose I'll know.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't know I had it, and have had no treatment for it either. \did they expect it to clear up by itself?
All I know is that, caught early enough it can be cleared up fairly easily and rapidly.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diagnosis I had a similar event. Turned out to be a very short lived but rapid onset (6hr) bug. After evacuating my bodily contents in every direction and rehydrating all was good. So yes I would be satisfied it was likely the Uti. I’m guessing they were cautious of a coronary event initially. The stress of it almost certainly would have pushed up bgl I think.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pre diagnosis I had a similar event. Turned out to be a very short lived but rapid onset (6hr) bug. After evacuating my bodily contents in every direction and rehydrating all was good. So yes I would be satisfied it was likely the Uti. I’m guessing they were cautious of a coronary event initially. The stress of it almost certainly would have pushed up bgl I think.
Thanks for that. I was testing and assuring the ambulancemen that I wasn't having a hypo. They concurred but recommended I was put in isolation in case it was norovirus!

Reactions: Arber

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they check your BP? That's exactly how I feel when I have a sudden drop in blood pressure and faint. The act of fainting then usually brings the BP back up again. I feel out of sorts and weak for about 3 days after a proper faint, but don't often get one now because I sit down and rest before I fall. I sometimes faint when I have any kind of infection. It might be worth getting a good BP monitor in case it happens again.