What was your bg reading last night and this morning?

LalaALH

Last night 5.5, this morning 5.8
I’ve switched to one large low carb high fibre meal a day at lunch time which has made a big difference to my evening blood sugars - and keeps blood levels stable all day. My aim is to give insulin production a rest overnight. I’m struggling to get enough fibre but I find 2 psyllium capsules with water both helps with fibre and is useful when hunger strikes. I’m surprisingly not hungry most of the time after years of grazing.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My weekly average for this last week is 5.3 at bedtime, 5.3 fasting

I have always flat lined over night, hardly ever vary by more than 0.2, and that has been the case since I was diagnosed.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One of my highest bg readings last night, 10.3 and lower this morning at 7.7, but not good.

Reactions: Julia99

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One of my highest bg readings last night, 10.3 and lower this morning at 7.7, but not good.

Do you have any inkling why? When did you eat dinner, and what were you before and after?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you have any inkling why? When did you eat dinner, and what were you before and after?
Hi @Bluetit1802 I was 5.8 before eating. I ate at 7.20pm and was 10.3 two hours later at 9.20pm.
I didn't have a very carby meal, less than 60gms of carbs. I think the culprit was the mashed potato topping on a Quorn cottage pie. But I did have the leftovers for lunch the next day and it didn't spike me. It might be because it had been cooled in fridge overnight then reheated.
The other possible reason was because I wasn't feeling too well on Monday. Or Tuesday, nothing specific but I felt better after sleeping 3 hours on Tuesday afternoon.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the culprit was the mashed potato topping on a soya mince cottage pie. But I did have the leftovers for lunch the next day and it didn't spike me. It might be because it had been cooled in fridge overnight then reheated.

Yes, I think you are right there. I can eat potatoes without a spike, but only roast, chips, fried, or new boiled. I cannot eat mash or baked, or any added to stews/casseroles. Mashed spuds are a definite no-no, or were last time I had them, admittedly 4 years ago now. Maybe things have changed for me now ... I see an experiment looming! The left over cooled and re-heated will have helped a lot.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a previous reading in the 9s after mash. I'm ok with frozen oven chips, so perhaps the freezing then oven cooking prevents a spike.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a previous reading in the 9s after mash. I'm ok with frozen oven chips, so perhaps the freezing then oven cooking prevents a spike.

Yes, I am OK with frozen chips, but deep fried rather than oven chips. We make our own chips from scratch and deep fry in dripping. I usually have half a dozen as one portion. When on holiday in self catering we buy frozen chips for convenience, again we fry them, and I can eat a larger portion. The re-heating does make a difference.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I think you are right there. I can eat potatoes without a spike, but only roast, chips, fried, or new boiled. I cannot eat mash or baked, or any added to stews/casseroles. Mashed spuds are a definite no-no, or were last time I had them, admittedly 4 years ago now. Maybe things have changed for me now ... I see an experiment looming! The left over cooled and re-heated will have helped a lot.
I seem to be ok with any potato -had mashed last night and was 7.5 at 2 hours and 6.4 at 3 hours. Last night I was 6.4 at 10.30 and 5.0 at 5.00 this morning.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are perfectly fine though

Possibly, but we all have different views on this, and different target ranges. Mine happens to be 4 to 7, and back in the 5s after 2.5 hours or 3 hours at the most. I appreciate others have different targets.