Tresiba Frustration

SarahMcers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this is going to be long winded sorry!
Type 1 diabetic, on Humalog short acting for years but put on tresiba earlier this year. Also been using libre with miao miao for a few months.

So....... I’ve recently drastically needed to reduce my basal rate I was having 18 then dropped to 14 recently, consultant advised to drop further to 12 or 11 to avoid the night time lows I was having. They have now gone but I now find that 24 hours after last basal my bloods are spiking! It’s like I can’t win. Bolus Humalog is fine I’m returning to a decent level 2 hours after meals but then spiking up again but if I take another Humalog unit I would hypo. I’m so confused as I thought tresiba was supposed to last extra long???

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't take Tresiba, but there are a couple of things here, maybe like other long acting insulins the smaller the dose the shorter time it will last.

Are you taking Tresiba at night? people have said it can peak during the night, causing lows, if you're doing that it might be better to switch to the morning, and then take a little bit more, if needed.

That's the only suggestion I have, maybe someone else has other ideas.

Reactions: Andu5

jackthejoker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetic, on Humalog short acting for years but put on tresiba earlier this year. Also been using libre with miao miao for a few months.

So....... I’ve recently drastically needed to reduce my basal rate I was having 18 then dropped to 14 recently, consultant advised to drop further to 12 or 11 to avoid the night time lows I was having. They have now gone but I now find that 24 hours after last basal my bloods are spiking! It’s like I can’t win. Bolus Humalog is fine I’m returning to a decent level 2 hours after meals but then spiking up again but if I take another Humalog unit I would hypo. I’m so confused as I thought tresiba was supposed to last extra long???
Having a similar problem with my 10 year old diagnosed 18 months ago. Pre and post meal bs are great...but the last couple of weeks pre bed sugars are in double figures....17.4 just now but fasting levels are between 5 and 6. On tresiba in morning and novorapid bolus. On 10 units of tresiba at the moment but if i give her 11 units she hypos around 5.30- 6am...!!! Spoke to nurse on friday and she reckons pump is next step....but what to do in the mean time...any suggestions please...??

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Sarah
Maybe like Alison advised try taking your treshiba in the morning. I use treshiba too but it took a lot of tweaking at first and still does. Maybe try half a unit increase it works better for me. 14.5 units works better for me on the hypo front than 15. Bear in mind too that it will take about 4 days to notice change. Good luck with it as with all things type 1 nothing is straightforward.