Any lifters/bodybuilders out there? Phil Graham's Diabetic Muscle & Fitness Guide - any good?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Thank you. It sounds like I've helped a bit. We all hide behind false names. My real name is Sean but I don't look like a Victorian Jew with a penchant for pocket hankerchiefs - I simply chose him because I am reviewing the situation - nothing stands still. I am based in the UK - I train at Like2Lift.. I'm easy to find

Take care - just off to the gym - back, followed by strongman - literally anything could happen in the next two hours - but whatever it is - it will be incredible

Sean
You've absolutely helped @Sean01 very inspirational, you've a positive mindset, despite what you've been through, that's awesome. Plus, you smash it in the gym and I find all fellow gym goers very motivational - I love learning from others, so I take on board tips, techniques etc. I've signed up to Phil Graham's Diabetic transform plan. Jury's out at the moment until I'm further down the line, but I'm just loving being back near the bar and plates, to be honest. The gym is definitely my happy place, such a gym geek!

Yup, somehow I guessed you are not the Fagin type of character!

I'll checkout Like2Lift, always good to say hi to the lifting community.

Have a great session,

Hollie (yip, my actual name!)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bit of a energy drain. Very odd, very scary, but I need to make sure when I go back to training on Thursday, that I'm fuelling my body enough

This is a normal reaction to eating a much lower carb diet. If you can stick with the diet, supplement with broth and electrolytes, you will soon be through this stage. Some people call it the 'keto flu'. Better to lean towards protein and fat than carbs.

Reactions: IronLioness

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a bit of a energy drain. Very odd, very scary, but I need to make sure when I go back to training on Thursday, that I'm fuelling my body enough

This is a normal reaction to eating a much lower carb diet. If you can stick with the diet, supplement with broth and electrolytes, you will soon be through this stage. Some people call it the 'keto flu'. Better to lean

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
This is a normal reaction to eating a much lower carb diet. If you can stick with the diet, supplement with broth and electrolytes, you will soon be through this stage. Some people call it the 'keto flu'. Better to lean
Cheers @Zilsniggy. Yep, I think it was because I literally cut out *all* carbs from when I was diagnosed, so 4 days totally cold turkey, then I had that weird turn. Suffice to say, I've started to incorporate carbs into my diet now but I'm sticking to no more than 20-30g a day. It seems to be working OK at the moment.

Reactions: Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers @Zilsniggy. Yep, I think it was because I literally cut out *all* carbs from when I was diagnosed, so 4 days totally cold turkey, then I had that weird turn. Suffice to say, I've started to incorporate carbs into my diet now but I'm sticking to no more than 20-30g a day. It seems to be working OK at the moment.

You will find that low carb shouldn't affect your performance greatly. A good source of info is Jeff Volek and Steve'Phinney's book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. They're pretty much recognised experts in this field. 4 days completely without carbs and no replacement also may have depleted your glycogen stores as well, depending on how hard you trained in that period?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
You will find that low carb shouldn't affect your performance greatly. A good source of info is Jeff Volek and Steve'Phinney's book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. They're pretty much recognised experts in this field. 4 days completely without carbs and no replacement also may have depleted your glycogen stores as well, depending on how hard you trained in that period?
Thanks for these suggestions, I'll check them out so far, since I've gone low carbs, rather than no carbs, training has been easier, no dizzy woozy spells either, thank goodness!

Reactions: Zilsniggy

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all,

Just diagnosed with T2, looking for so many answers to the umpteen questions I have on diabetes but one of them is gym work, specifically lifting - I saw Phil's book advertised, I'm keen to know thoughts on his strategy and principles for diabetics and training.

From what I've read online it seems strength training gets the thumbs up! Is this true? I *really* don't want to give up my gum work if I don't have to.

All experience and thoughts much appreciated .
Don't give up your gym work.
We are all different so a personal plan keeping heavy muscle making IR worse is your main aim.
Do you understand insulin resistance well?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Don't give up your gym work.
We are all different so a personal plan keeping heavy muscle making IR worse is your main aim.
Do you understand insulin resistance well?
Definitely not, in fact, I've increased it

I've been testing and tweaking this past week and all seems to be working well, no severe spikes so I'll keep on keeping on.

I have basic understanding, but no, I don't have a wider understanding of insulin resistance, but, to combat that, I'm reading up as much as I can.

S

Sean01

Hi @IronLioness and all others using or thinking of using weights to combat diabetes.

Walking the walk.

Here is the line up for my first strong man competition on 25th November. The weights are not huge. I'm a first timer and in my mid 50's. The competition is open to any age group - including younglings, people born in the 70's and 80's and millennials.

What's important is that these five events exercise every muscle in the body - each one

Event One Log FTOH 55kg
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, chest, shoulders biceps, triceps, grip

Event Two 18" Deadlift block 150kg - 60 secs
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, traps. shoulders, biceps, grip

Event Three One Arm Over head press 25kg dumbell - 60 secs
Calves, thighs, core, chest, shoulders, traps, triceps, biceps, grip

Event Four Farmers carry 60kg each hand 20 m - fastest time
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, chest, shoulders, traps, biceps, grip

Event Five Yoke 170kg 20m fastest time
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, biceps, chest, shoulders.

The last two exercises also focus a lot of concentration on sphincter control. You're not a strongman until you've had at least one accident

With a thorough warm up and 20 minutes on a treadmill, preparing to do any single one of these exercises would make a brilliant all over body work out and do amazing things for cardio fitness. (You have no idea how breathless you can get speed walking 20 meters carrying a yoke or Farmers handles.

If you are near Barton - let me know - 25th Nov. All support welcome - and you will get to see an old man with T2 prove that it's NOT 'game over'

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi @IronLioness and all others using or thinking of using weights to combat diabetes.

Walking the walk.

Here is the line up for my first strong man competition on 25th November. The weights are not huge. I'm a first timer and in my mid 50's. The competition is open to any age group - including younglings, people born in the 70's and 80's and millennials.

What's important is that these five events exercise every muscle in the body - each one

Event One Log FTOH 55kg
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, chest, shoulders biceps, triceps, grip

Event Two 18" Deadlift block 150kg - 60 secs
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, traps. shoulders, biceps, grip

Event Three One Arm Over head press 25kg dumbell - 60 secs
Calves, thighs, core, chest, shoulders, traps, triceps, biceps, grip

Event Four Farmers carry 60kg each hand 20 m - fastest time
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, chest, shoulders, traps, biceps, grip

Event Five Yoke 170kg 20m fastest time
Calves, thighs, core, lower back, mid back, traps, biceps, chest, shoulders.

The last two exercises also focus a lot of concentration on sphincter control. You're not a strongman until you've had at least one accident

With a thorough warm up and 20 minutes on a treadmill, preparing to do any single one of these exercises would make a brilliant all over body work out and do amazing things for cardio fitness. (You have no idea how breathless you can get speed walking 20 meters carrying a yoke or Farmers handles.

If you are near Barton - let me know - 25th Nov. All support welcome - and you will get to see an old man with T2 prove that it's NOT 'game over'

@Sean01 This is EPIC! Good on ya! You'll totally smash it!

Also, thanks for listing these details, I'm paying attention and taking notes - thinking I might add me some of this into my routine doon in the iron corner! This is a fantastic all over strength smasher, too. The farmers lift, oooh, that's a toughy, I find.

This is event looks fab to cut your teeth on the strongman can, so to speak. How are you feeling about it? and, more importantly, what sort of training schedule have you got in place - as in, are you 5 days a week plus weekends for this? Or split? I've been watching 'Big Z' (Savickas Zydrunas) vids to work on my squat technique, for perfecting and whatnot. It's perfection, slow controlled motion on the down and up raise, whatever the weight. Blows my mind how he does it. His quads, forearms and general strength are ridiculous! I'll take his technique, though!

I bought and downloaded Phil Graham's diabetic shred programme, it was the cost of a couple of drinks - at London prices, ha! Anyhoo, got a few nuggets of info from it in regards to training with diabetes, then......I got straight over to Muscle & Fitness (the USA one) and downloaded some of the training plans from there. I'm pulling together my own plan. My diet, since the call with the diagnosis, has been literally on point - hoping to continue this level of focus in that I *feel* like there's a definite mindshift switch that's gone on within my ageing brain cells to stay on the good path - to gains! :) And hoping to continue to fuel that fire within, so to speak.

Barton? You mean the one in Cambridgeshire?

S

Sean01

Hi @IronLioness
Barton up in North Linconshire - bit of a journey from where I live near Gatwick. I should have checked a map before committing but I can't back down. Nothing that an early start can't fix. Like my wife said when I had 2 double whiskies the afternoon before the Loch Ness Marathon: It's Ok to have drink, you didn't come here to win!

Glad to see you are doing your home work and formulating your own plan - you are investing in your own future and your own decisions rather than buying 'off the shelf'. Self investment will pay off.

As for Big Z - legend - slow down and then Boom on the way up - works everytime.

Training for this event - slightly different
5 week days focussing on the prep work for each lift
Monday was farmers walk - you would think it's all about the legs, but I had an idea, I spent 30 minutes warming up the shoulders, did some leg extensions and then some shrugs working up to 200 kg!!! Then I took the fight outside - our strong man training area is a covered space attached to the back of the gym.

I warmed up with empty bars and then loaded up to the competition weight (plus a bit)
And practiced speed starts!! Yep - this one is gonna be won on speed.
Now here's the revelation - Standing upright before walking has always sapped my strength (and my enthusiasm before I even take the first step, but with my traps on fire - it was easy, no fear, no apprehension, just grip, explode upwards and go!

I have now added mornings on the treadmill and I'm trying to push the speed up to stay at 6 km'h (little legs)

Speed/coordination and super warmed up traps - I'm not coming last - even though all the competitors are probably 20-30 years younger than me.

Tonight is Log - so big delt work out to start. (I am so into Yates' philosophy - one warm up set and then one set all out - I tend to use partials as I don't have a spotter. It seems to work for me.

Wednesday is the big one - 32 years since getting run over and virtually written off. Here's the plan 900lb plus on leg press, and 300 kg on the Yoke - way more than I need - but if I can do this - I'm up for next year's senior event. I don't expect to take more than one step, but getting it off the ground will be the challenge. I will also practice 170kg for speed.

Thank you for joining in. Really appreciated and I'm glad to hear that your training is on track.

I honestly hope that in 1-2 years time you look back on your diagnosis as something that lit the fuse and makes you superhuman. It's not a death sentence. It's a doorway to an amazing world.

Good luck on your journey

Sean

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi @IronLioness
Barton up in North Linconshire - bit of a journey from where I live near Gatwick. I should have checked a map before committing but I can't back down. Nothing that an early start can't fix. Like my wife said when I had 2 double whiskies the afternoon before the Loch Ness Marathon: It's Ok to have drink, you didn't come here to win!

Glad to see you are doing your home work and formulating your own plan - you are investing in your own future and your own decisions rather than buying 'off the shelf'. Self investment will pay off.

As for Big Z - legend - slow down and then Boom on the way up - works everytime.

Training for this event - slightly different
5 week days focussing on the prep work for each lift
Monday was farmers walk - you would think it's all about the legs, but I had an idea, I spent 30 minutes warming up the shoulders, did some leg extensions and then some shrugs working up to 200 kg!!! Then I took the fight outside - our strong man training area is a covered space attached to the back of the gym.

I warmed up with empty bars and then loaded up to the competition weight (plus a bit)
And practiced speed starts!! Yep - this one is gonna be won on speed.
Now here's the revelation - Standing upright before walking has always sapped my strength (and my enthusiasm before I even take the first step, but with my traps on fire - it was easy, no fear, no apprehension, just grip, explode upwards and go!

I have now added mornings on the treadmill and I'm trying to push the speed up to stay at 6 km'h (little legs)

Speed/coordination and super warmed up traps - I'm not coming last - even though all the competitors are probably 20-30 years younger than me.

Tonight is Log - so big delt work out to start. (I am so into Yates' philosophy - one warm up set and then one set all out - I tend to use partials as I don't have a spotter. It seems to work for me.

Wednesday is the big one - 32 years since getting run over and virtually written off. Here's the plan 900lb plus on leg press, and 300 kg on the Yoke - way more than I need - but if I can do this - I'm up for next year's senior event. I don't expect to take more than one step, but getting it off the ground will be the challenge. I will also practice 170kg for speed.

Thank you for joining in. Really appreciated and I'm glad to hear that your training is on track.

I honestly hope that in 1-2 years time you look back on your diagnosis as something that lit the fuse and makes you superhuman. It's not a death sentence. It's a doorway to an amazing world.

Good luck on your journey

Sean

Double whisky? Strong! The plan sounds great, Sean, I wish you all the best for it. Those weights are decent, it'll be great to hear how you get on.

I like Yates' philosophy, I'm reading up quite a bit on the ol' masters, Platz has A-MAZING definition and strength. In fact, next time one of the old schoolers or Big Z do a gym tour, it might be time for a visit to pick up and adapt training tips. I'm going all-in on this, it's completely switched my whole world upside down, in a very good way!

So, Wednesday for the 900lb leg press, as in yesterday? How did it go? Again, that's an EPIC weight! I push max 240kilos on the leg press which I think is just over 520lbs, but my legs are my absolute superpower - I carry my strength in my legs it seems - they quite literally saved me a few years ago (blood clot etc) and it wouldn't have been the same result if I had weak calves and quads. Very lucky gal, so I take care o' them pins. I'm really looking forward to this journey.

The fuse has definitely been lit - in fact, it's burning bright. This sounds odd, maybe, but it feels like this diagnosis has been an enlightening for me. I'm loving learning about the stats and facts and how to help reduce the risks, fingers crossed!

Hope all went well for Wednesday, here's to smashing goals and fighting another day! :)

S

Sean01

I don't know if the link will work, but the work out was awesome. 880lbs on the bar - so around 950 lbs for reps and I managed 160 kg on the yoke, but my real objective was to get 300kg off the floor on the yoke. That jump was a bit to big. I can move 200kg. I managed to get 240kg up - but it was nearly 9 p.m.. It had been a long day and a hard workout to get to that point. I'm happy! I had a day off on Thursday - but back to it on Friday (today.)

Tom Platz does come to the UK. Find Strength Asylum on facebook. - a gym in Stoke area. Whenever he is in the UK, he always does a squat clinic and an 'evening with'. He was there last night - you will see lots of photos and video on facebook. (He's lost a huge amount of his mass (and one or two of his ideas are a bit dubious - eating chicken wings because the cartilage in the chicken will repair your own cartilage) but his fire and passion are still in his eyes and he is a fantastic motivator.

I did meet him in his prime - 1986 ish in London but never got to train with him. I was very lucky. I trained at Golds Gym in Covent Garden. I#ve squatted with Olav Annus, benche pressed with David Gowder, delts with Francoise Chung and my old coach was Andrew Searle (Heavy weight Mr Britain)............Mad crazy days!

S

S

Sean01

I don't know if the link will work, but the work out was awesome. 880lbs on the bar - so around 950 lbs for reps and I managed 160 kg on the yoke, but my real objective was to get 300kg off the floor on the yoke. That jump was a bit to big. I can move 200kg. I managed to get 240kg up - but it was nearly 9 p.m.. It had been a long day and a hard workout to get to that point. I'm happy! I had a day off on Thursday - but back to it on Friday (today.)

Tom Platz does come to the UK. Find Strength Asylum on facebook. - a gym in Stoke area. Whenever he is in the UK, he always does a squat clinic and an 'evening with'. He was there last night - you will see lots of photos and video on facebook. (He's lost a huge amount of his mass (and one or two of his ideas are a bit dubious - eating chicken wings because the cartilage in the chicken will repair your own cartilage) but his fire and passion are still in his eyes and he is a fantastic motivator.

I did meet him in his prime - 1986 ish in London but never got to train with him. I was very lucky. I trained at Golds Gym in Covent Garden. I#ve squatted with Olav Annus, benche pressed with David Gowder, delts with Francoise Chung and my old coach was Andrew Searle (Heavy weight Mr Britain)............Mad crazy days!

S

S

Sean01

S

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine

S
Shame, the link doesn't work 880 on the bar? Sheesh! That's very decent.

I saw Platz doing his tours on Insta, I think I'm going to go along to one next time around. I've seen some of his vids teaching squat technique, they're great although Big Z masters that so so well, perfection, in my humble opinion, so controlled. I might also go to BodyPower next year. I'm fully immersed in the strength world now, and really enjoying it more than I ever did.

Check you out mixing it up with all the strength stars! Impressive names on that list. Onwards with the strength training, methinks!

Mike Jacobs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
Hi all,

Just diagnosed with T2, looking for so many answers to the umpteen questions I have on diabetes but one of them is gym work, specifically lifting - I saw Phil's book advertised, I'm keen to know thoughts on his strategy and principles for diabetics and training.

From what I've read online it seems strength training gets the thumbs up! Is this true? I *really* don't want to give up my gum work if I don't have to.

All experience and thoughts much appreciated .

Mike Jacobs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Laziness
T2 Non-insulin dependent here. Read his book. Truth is, everyone responds differently. I haven't had weight problems and found that discipline, testing and simply being active works for me.

So while I'm not dispensing medical advice, I chose to ignore much of what my endo wanted to do which was focus on pharmacology. I insisted on things like inflammatory pains (knots, strains, etc) and working those out. Supplementing with magnesium citrate, Ceylon cinnamon, cardamon seeds, bitter Mellon and a balanced diet rich in complex carbohydrates, lean protein, low starch veg, and paying attention to psychological health overall.

This helped keep my readings at nondiabetic numbers. Medication is around but I've only chosen to use on rare occasion (bad flu, food poisoning, etc.)

So... Your milage will vary. But please feel free to ask questions and I'll see what I can offer about my own experiences.