Been approved :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Pump Dr appointment this morning and he has said yes to me going onto a pump :)
Have now got to wait for an appointment with the pump team and DSN (who is the pump team leader!?) and yet another dietitian appointment. Now it is another waiting game for the said appointments top come through the door.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@porl69 . Congratulations. You must be chuffed to bits. Hopefully everything will go ahead at great pace.

Reactions: kev-w

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! I'm pleased for you, let's hope it doesn't take long to sort out now that you have the go-ahead. :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Thanks @therower I haven't stopped smiling since my appointment this morning. Fingers crossed the appointments start to come thru quickly

Reactions: kev-w and zand

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very exciting, well done, hopefully it will all proceed with reasonable speed now. It does seem to have taken quite a while for you to get approval, hopefully the next stage is a lot faster.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Superb news @porl69 - bet you are chuffed, particularly as you weren’t sure it would happen :)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great news! Mind if I ask how you qualified? I’d like to get one someday.

Reactions: porl69

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
I have never had any experience with insulin pumps do they hurt to insert?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @SamJB having a good DSN on your side is a good starting point, get a DAFNE course under your belt and check NICE to see if you meet any of the criteria, or just ask your team and have a good case as to how it will improve your control/ quality of life.

Hi @Ziggy2017 no the cannulas generally don't hurt to insert, you may get the odd ouch which probably means a bad site, however they are rare and you should change the cannula if they do hurt.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I hope not lol. Have been injecting for nigh on 47 years now, so 1 canula insertion every 3 days I don't think is really going to worry me.

Reactions: kev-w

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @SamJB having a good DSN on your side is a good starting point, get a DAFNE course under your belt and check NICE to see if you meet any of the criteria, or just ask your team and have a good case as to how it will improve your control/ quality of life.

Hi @Ziggy2017 no the cannulas generally don't hurt to insert, you may get the odd ouch which probably means a bad site, however they are rare and you should change the cannula if they do hurt.
I agree with that. BUT I have not seen a DSN for over 30 years! I have a very good dietitian who has literally turned my T1D control around since I was diagnosed with stage 4 CKD. And it was her who suggested a pump to me. Got a lot to thank her for

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Congrats @porl69, from your photo you might wish to check out whether the pump is waterproof !! Welcome to higher tech and a new set of challenges !!!

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
@kitedoc has a good question with what pump do you choose to fit your lifestyle? That’s a tough one.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc has a good question with what pump do you choose to fit your lifestyle? That’s a tough one.
Perhaps we need a wishlist (serious and flippant): e.g. plays a list of favourites tunes as the reminders and alerts, or March Slav during a slow bolus dosing and Yankee Doddle Dandy when CGM BSLs return to normal range etc etc!!!, incorporates a glucose (finger prick) meter as well (one brand does), has a built in altimeter for sky divers, a windspeed meter for kite flyers and you can play chess, sodoku on its games app during clinic visits!!??

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I want the Medtronic 640g. The 670g is out soon in the UK so I may ask for that if available

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I want the Medtronic 640g. The 670g is out soon in the UK so I may ask for that if available
Not waterproof to my knowledge but that is not the end of the world !!

D

Deleted Account

Cannula insertion hurts no more than an injection - just a little pin prick as it goes in.
And you only have to do it once every 2 to 4 days.

Definitely nothing to worry about.