How long prior to exercising (running), should you test?

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN advised I should always test before doing exercise.

I’m just wondering how long before, and after people test?

Obviously, I don’t want to be testing to late, but do t want it to be to early either.

I’d be most grateful if you can share your routine in order to give me some idea.

Thanks all

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Preferably before you have got yourself fully dressed and prepared to run!
I do not run/exercise if my BSL is over 13 to 14 mmol/l or below 4.5 mmol/l.

Reactions: Libby3781
D

Deleted Account

I would ask yourself why you are testing.
Are you testing to find out if you can run or to make sure you will run?

I do two tests before exercise
- I test about an hour before I start exercise. This gives me the opportunity to make adjustments if I am too high or too low. For me I like to aim to have my BG in the 6s but you may find you exercise better at slightly higher (or lower) levels. I take a correction insulin dose if I am too high or snack on some dextrose if I am too low. This is to make sure I will run.
- I then test just before I start in case something has gone awry. This may happen if I get distracted by work or something in the last hour. This a piece of mind check that I can run.

I always test when I finish exercise in case my BG has fallen significantly (or risen depending on what exercise I was doing).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: therower and Juicyj

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN advised I should always test before doing exercise.

I’m just wondering how long before, and after people test?

Obviously, I don’t want to be testing to late, but do t want it to be to early either.

I’d be most grateful if you can share your routine in order to give me some idea.

Thanks all

Hi Libby, I think you will get many different replies because the impact of exercise on our bodies is so very personal. I test about 20 minutes beforehand, if it's around 6 then that's fine, if it's in the 4s I take a glucose tablet and I take some with me on the run in case I feel off. Once you have been doing it for a while you will get to know what is right for you. In the meantime though I'm afraid it's down to trial and error. I am on insulin though so that's why I need to know if it's too low or not, I'm not sure if you are on insulin? If not (and you are on no other glucose lowering medication) did your DN say why she thought you should test?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @Libby3781 How did your run go this week ?

I test before I head out, if i'm lower than 6 then it's a couple of glucotabs, I also carry them on me at all times too. I also prefer not to have any quick acting insulin on board prior to running as I can drop quickly if I have so it's just being cautious.

I would recommend you start a running diary and just log your BG readings along with time and date of run, duration of run and a bit of info about how far/long and your BG results when finishing, keeping a diary will help you see what works best for you as already mentioned exercise is unique to the individual so what works for me may not work for you.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep running other than when too low or high obviously. If you are on insulin is it basal or do you also take a bolus at mealtimes? Either way running will be a great way to use up excess carbs and make you more responsive to your own insulin as well as that which you inject. If you go out prepared (glucose tabs/phone/cash to buy furtther sweeties if needed) then you are good to go! As you progress, a good sign will be the need to reduce insulin doses to avoid hypos. Note that the lows can also occur after a run so it is worth testing 2+ hours afterwards too especially if you run in the evening and then go to bed? If you are new then a great rule of thumb for anyone is to build up slowly by never increasing distance and/or time out running by more than 10% each week.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for all the information. I went to my first running session on Monday.

I checked my bg just before I had my late lunch, but then didn’t check again till I was doing my night dose insulin.

I’m currently taking NovoRapid 15mins prior to a meal, 3 times a day. Along with a dose of Levemir at night. I saw my DN yesterday, explained I joined a running club. She therefore, advice do me to check my bg prior to running.

Hence asking the question, to find out people’s routines before and after exercise.

Reactions: Jonlennon

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are just using fingerprick testing I think I would be inclined to test maybe 45/30 minutes before, and then again just before, to check direction of travel, if your blood glucose is going up or down. If it's going down, and is within normal range, then you may want to think about eating extra carbs before exercising.

I think it's important to test frequently when exercising. It's probably best to get into the habit of doing this.

But you also need to get to know your own body, and how it responds to exercise.

I'm not a jogger, but I tend to go for quite long, brisk walks, often uphill, so I will often start the walk, when my blood sugar is reaching it's two hour peak, after a meal. Because the exercise will slice off the peak, but after it's sliced off the peak it will start to fall, and can then reach a point where it falls quite rapidly. I often, then have to stop and eat something.

It might be worth experimenting with a brisk half hour walk, and just see how your blood sugar responds, during it, so you get a feel for it, and have a rough idea what it might do.

I would say before, during, and after.

I know this is more testing than you normally do, but it is extremely important to know what your blood sugar is doing during exercise, if you are on insulin, and as you do more exercise your insulin sensitivity might well increase, so you will want to avoid surprises. So just get used to testing before, during, and after exercise.

Libby3781

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently test 4 times a day as standard. Prior to administering my insulin, so I’m just trying to figure out where to fit in testing on the days I will be going running.

It’s interesting reading everyone’s routine. I think to begin I’m going to try and test 30mins before and 20mins after. So I’m going to try that this evening

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am more insulin resistant in the morning than the afternoon so have to take that into account with exercise too. Much, much less likely to hypo in the morning.

bmtest

If I go out runnng which is usually evening I will have done my normal testing throughout the day so I no where I am with things and for me its my own method and I do not say this is correct but its what I have done for last 40 years and never failed me when out running on my own at night.

I look for a reading between 10 and 13 if it is not near that I eat something that creates that reading after I finish my reading will be anything between 4 & 7, my sessions last anything from 1.5 to 2 hours which includes stretching warming up and waiting for dog who runs with me. I have been through 3 dogs running and they are good till about 12years old till it gers too much. The training has always been a mix of Karate & Boxing with a run to finish off with.

This method has worked with me on half marathon practise runs also with local club (running club does not hang around for diabetics like most places) on those nights I will carry a bottle of lucozade sport which I will drink and have a full packet of dextr in pocket as reserve which I sometime dip into as I run\walk home from club which is 1 mile.

When I get home I feast on food and blood glucose is always nice and low for morning.

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would normally about 30 minutes before then right before just to see if its going up or down what i do then depends on the time of day and i use my judgement on what i think will happen I sometimes give myself a couple of units of insulin before a run if its going up its very risky though i wouldn't recommend doing that unless you keep getting high reading after training. I normally take a gel or some sort of suger with me in case of a hypo